CBR1100XX.org Forum

Won't start

Silverbird2

I pulled the bird out to clean her up and get her ready to sell and it wouldn't start. I have had it on a battery tender any time is wasn't being ridden. I pulled it out and started it about 6 months ago and I remember the FI light being on. This time it doesn't even turn over. Just one click that sounds like it comes from the relay. When I put my hand on the relay I could feel it click. It's like it has a blown fuse or bad ground or something. I was expecting some fuel issues from sitting for so long without starting it but this sounds like something else. Any thoughts?

Don't overlook the battery--it's frequently the culprit. The static state of charge can be deceptive; a load test would be preferable.

Most tenders have to sense a minimum charge state to begin charging/maintaining. One of my Deltran Smart Tenders has the following warning page added to the instruction sheet:

"IF YOUR BATTERY IS TOTALLY DEAD BELOW 3 VOLTS THE BATTERY TENDER WILL NOT START. THIS IS DUE TO ITS INTERNAL SAFETY CIRCUIT, THE BATTERY MUST SENSE MORE THAN 3 VOLTS TO TURN ON. IF IT DOES NOT SENSE ABOVE 3 VOLTS THE CHARGER IS INOPERABLE THEREFORE THE LIGHTS WILL NOT LIGHT.*"

*Not necessarily true . . . If already connected (and left unattended for a protracted time) it is possible, especially with an older battery, for the charge level to drop below this threshold, the "green" light may stay on but the tender is not charging/maintaining. Yeah, I learned this the hard way.

More from the warning page:

"TO CHARGE A TOTALLY DEAD BATTERY YOU MUST FOOL THE BATTERY TENDER'S CIRCUIT BY MOMENTARILY JUMPING THE DEAD BATTERY TO A KNOWN GOOD BATTERY. THIS WILL TRICK THE CHARGER AND START THE CHARGING SEQUENCE."

I strongly suspect this sort of internal safety circuit is common in other brands of tenders. Check the paperwork/instructions that came with your model.

No matter what else may be an issue, you pretty much have to start any electrical investigations with a healthy battery.

Edited by ironmike
  • Upvote 2

Just found a cheep source for batteries, I have ordered two one for the Bird and one for the VFR, AGM batteries, is yet have nothing to report on them. www.batterysharks.com emailed them with models and they got right back to me.

• Upvote 1