CBR1100XX.org Forum

blown headlight bulbs

Wolf1999

I have a 99 fi bird. Sunday I was cruising around 50mph and my head lamp looked like a h.I.d warming up then went out. Kick on my high beam to try to get it home and it did the same thing as soon as I turned it on. I don't have h.I.d's in my bike. Put a new set of bulbs in last night and on my way to work this morning it did it again. Any ideas on why it keeps blowing bulbs?

Do you have a voltmeter? Sounds like high system voltage, likely caused by a failed rectifier/voltage regulator - probably the sole weakness of the XX. If left unattended, it will bake your battery. Properly diagnosed, it's around a $150-$200 DIY repair/upgrade to a R/R with longer-term reliability.

Get a key off and a running voltage for us - at idle and at ~3500RPM - and we'll help diagnose. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but the R/R is a common fail item on the 'bird.

Then that's definitely suspect, do the voltage test as suggested.

What does "HID warming up" look like to you? I don't know what that means. I have them, but not sure what you see that is related to this.

Although it gets argued here. The R/ R is a shunt device. It rectifies and regulates the stator output.

I used to run drills and hedge clippers off of my trucks alternator. Just needed a switch and relay that dissconnected the diodes from the alternator. Easy to get 130 vac from a standard alternator.

But 12 volt lights don't like it.

Put your meter on the battery and measure both DC and AC . I bet you will see some high AC voltages.