CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo Project questions

nonam3k

Absolutely agree.  Plenum size hasn't been discussed, but can be a factor as well.  The shape and the angles are generally more important to flow, it reduces the work needed (stealing your word there) to get air into the cylinders and getting an even amount of air into each cylinder.  The individual runner sizes/shapes are another factor not touched on and can play off the overall plenum size.

• 4 months later...

From memory about all you'll get here is me vs. hank with two distinctly different theories so you may wanna do some googling.  I haven't boosted a bird but if I did I'd try to use something as closely resembling the stock airbox as possible.  Me personally I'd look into reinforcing the stock box to handle pressure, possibly coating it with fiberglass or carbon fiber would do the trick.  I would probably replace the stock air filter with something to act as a diffuser, a dry K&N might be a good option or just a large fine mesh screen.  A stock filter would work but might pose some restriction.

If you have pictures of your plenum I'll give you my thoughts for you to research against.

how much psi is created in the stock airbox when the system is pressurized going above 110-115mph creating the ram air effect?

My PCIIIr is tuned to richen up a bit in the upper gears around 8k rpms (when you would be hauling ass)

Most dyno's dont replicated the air speed being shoved into the bike at speed. Just a cute fan to keep the bike cool. Guess we could use a leaf blower aimed at the nose intake. They do what 160mph wind speeds? That could help get a better real world tune.. maybe I should take a leaf blower with me next dyno run. would get some weird looks with it strapped on my back. Make liberals think its an assault rifle.

4 hours ago, The Krypt Keeper said:

how much psi is created in the stock airbox when the system is pressurized going above 110-115mph creating the ram air effect?

maybe I should take a leaf blower with me next dyno run.

I would estimate that you'd be getting about 15 millibar from a good ram air at that speed.

That's just a tad over 0.2 psi.

Your leaf blower won't cut it.

Please don't laugh...  You're thinking aluminum?

wax model w/lost wax casting maybe?

They offer a 30 day free trial. I don't know SW, 

To hire someone who knows Solidworks flow or Inventor flow model this stuff would probably be pricey though.

Casting would probably be more work than just forming and welding.  Could use steel, stainless, or aluminum, generally done with aluminum.  You could also use fiberglass or carbon fiber.  I suggested possibly reinforcing the stock airbox and reiterate that, I think it would be a cheap easy solution and you're using a design that's known to flow well.  Incorporating a charge air cooler in place of the filter would be cool.

Graham and I supplied 2  piece cast aluminum plenums when I was selling kits.

He had them made in England and they worked well.
He got out of the business rather quickly.

I worked with purchasers stateside till their bikes were done.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a map to a guy who wanted one for 6 lbs.

He said it barely ran as his kit and turbo was different than the one the map came from.

I think you are better off starting fresh.

That buggy looks awesome!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yup.  It's likely gonna be unbalanced between cylinders, the left will get more air than right, but at least the turbulence will be quenched by the core.

• 10 months later...