CBR1100XX.org Forum

Blackbird not reving past 4000 revs...???

troyboy37

Hi Guys, heres my problem..!!

have a 97 carbBlackbird, the last time I rode her was mid sept, with a little surging as per usual but no problems...

I took her out on Sunday and she stuggled to get a wriggle on... not reving very well.. and struggling to get past 75mph..

Today, I took the tank and air filter housing off..

Checked the plugs (these were fitted in May) the first 3 were normal, but no. 4 was slighly oily..

I balanced the carbs today, with a make do tank and carbs were balanced..

However.....

When I rev'd the bike she only went to 4000 revs then died ... i kept reving her but she wouldnt go past 4000 revs..
When I held the throttle open she went to 4000 revs then dies back to 2000 revs, then went back up to 4000 revs, and back down to 2000.. and so on...

Any ideas guys as I dont know what to do next..??? dunno.gif

If it ran just fine in September, and has plenty of juice to crank the engine, I would say bad fuel. Very bad. Completely drain tank and carbs, and put in fresh.

Some electrical things to check would be the crank trigger on the right end of the crank shaft and the coil connections. After that, you might try an ECU swap with another Bird owner to see if that's it. Lots of people here willing to help. Just let us know where you are located.

Carb slides possibly stuck?

That was my first thought. Did you see them move when you were balancing the carbs? When Jon say "bad fuel", I think that he means fuel that has water or some other kind of contaminate in it. You could try Sea Foam instead of draining. Old fuel wouldn't do it. Any strong exhaust fumes of popping out the pipes? If none of these things, I would start to look at the electrical stuff.

Petcock OK, When I sucked on the vacuum tube juice came out of the tank. Fuel ok, as I filled the tank up fresh from the pump..

What I forgot to say was, that on the morning of the ride I had a flat battery and jump started it with my wifes car (Kia Picanto)..
I wonder if this would cause any issues...??

Gunna charge the battery and see ..

Edited by troyboy37

Petcock OK, When I sucked on the vacuum tube juice came out of the tank. Fuel ok, as I filled the tank up fresh from the pump..

What I forgot to say was, that on the morning of the ride I had a flat battery and jump started it with my wifes car (Kia Picanto)..

I wonder if this would cause any issues...??

Gunna charge the battery and see ..

yes if the engine is running.

If jumping from a car, be sure to turn the engine off

Yup, I now know that.... :unsure:

So far checked the filter and petcock.. all good..

Battery charged, and all put back together..

Took her for a test ride all seemed good initially.. but then under load when I hit the higher revs it started to sound like it was running on 3 and struggled to keep in the higher revs.

I'm thinking coils or plugs..?? :unsure:

This would sound stupid if it hadn't happened to me, but check for corrosion on the wiring going to your coils. Somehow, one of the spade terminals had backed off slightly on one of the coils, and was just enough to allow a little corrosion to start. Bike would get fire on the 2 cylinders that coil controls, then lose it, sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and bogged down hard under load.

Hey, at least yours runs. Old gas locked up my fuel pump so mine doesn't run at all right now!

This would sound stupid if it hadn't happened to me, but check for corrosion on the wiring going to your coils. Somehow, one of the spade terminals had backed off slightly on one of the coils, and was just enough to allow a little corrosion to start. Bike would get fire on the 2 cylinders that coil controls, then lose it, sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders and bogged down hard under load.

Hey, at least yours runs. Old gas locked up my fuel pump so mine doesn't run at all right now!

oh dear not good Furbird...

Ive changed the coils and leads, with no difference, I've checked the reg/rectifier seems ok, but ordered another one just in case,

Battery ok, giving out 12.5 volts..

So, it looks like I'm gunna have to bite the bullet and take off the carbs and give then a good clean..

But, hey, at least its running....

12.5v...? No trickle charger in use..? Depending on what type of battery you've got, it should be a lot closer to 12.8v - I think that battery has an issue, and might just be responsible for all your described symptoms. I'd recommend load testing. Or you could forego the testing and spring for a new battery - I'd bet you're gonna wind up there eventually anyway. Just be certain to fully bench charge a new battery before installation.

If you haven't already looked into the charging system testing protocols, have a look here . . .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33318

Edited by ironmike

I've checked the reg/rectifier seems ok, but ordered another one just in case,

Battery ok, giving out 12.5 volts..

Seems OK?

12.5v...? No trickle charger in use..? Depending on what type of battery you've got, it should be a lot closer to 12.8v - I think that battery has an issue, and might just be responsible for all your described symptoms. I'd recommend load testing. Or you could forego the testing and spring for a new battery - I'd bet you're gonna wind up there eventually anyway. Just be certain to fully bench charge a new battery before installation.

If you haven't already looked into the charging system testing protocols, have a look here . . .

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33318

Good info there...

On a similar note, I had a problem last year with my dirt bike, very basic electrical circiut, and the bike would not rev up if the head light switch was on.

It turned out to be a bad battery....

The battery was going bad... and when the lights were turned on, the charging system could not produce enough to fire the coils properly.

My suggestion is you follow the posted charging system test very thoroughly, and report back.

I'm still under the impression you have an electrical problem.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take the carbs off and give them a good blowout and clean...

If that doesn't cure the problem,then I'm at a loss....

Ive seen a few forums where there were similar problems to this, but the people havent said whether thet cured the problem...

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow..!!!!

Reg/Rec came today, swapped it over.. no difference...!!!!

So, took the carbs off the bike, 2 tricky areas.. 1st - the throttle cables, and 2nd the electric connector from carbs to the loom.. the connector was a real pain to undo..

Really surprised to see a load of gunk, rust, and gelatine type stuff in the float bowls... wierd...!!!

Cleaned all jets.... and guess what...

Bike runa alot better....

Theres still a few flat spots, but they can be ironed out.. Bike goes like a train now...

Such a happy chappy....!!!

plus now have a spare reg/rectifier just in case.. :D :D :D

I suspect that you could put a filter on a carbed bike. Gravity feed. I'd worry about it on a Fi.

I would buy a quality filter, glass style. Use good clamps, and saftey wire between the clamps. It will be out of site, under the tank. You could have big problems by the time you smelled gas

• Upvote 1

I suspect that you could put a filter on a carbed bike. Gravity feed. I'd worry about it on a Fi.

I would buy a quality filter, glass style. Use good clamps, and saftey wire between the clamps. It will be out of site, under the tank. You could have big problems by the time you smelled gas

Thanks, will do..