CBR1100XX.org Forum

Final update "Finally Found" & Tire choices

ChasRummel

I write down my mileage for when I changed oil and installed new tires onto masking tape and stick it to my tool box.

Never had a set of tires last more that 4500 miles. Always check air pressure. Even with my bt016 I already know at 40f/40r I am getting 3500 miles and done.

Pr3 are plenty sticky depending on what you are looking for out of them. Your average mix of riding they will serve you well.

I wouldn't do a track day on them though.

Depends on what you expect out of a track day!

I would much rather spend a day on the track on Pilot Road III's than not get on the track at all!

There are a few of us that have ridden JenningsGP track on PR3's - ride the Bird to the track, tape up lights, do over 150 miles on the track, remove tape, ride the Bird home all on Pilot Road III's.

Not competitive with the dedicated track bikes but still brings a smile from ear to ear at the end of the day. There has only been one "off" while riding a Bird at JenningsGP but was missing a foot! That is another whole story!

attachicon.gifJenningsGP.JPG

Jennings is a bit of a special case when it comes to tracks- the grip there is insane and it's not all torn to shit by cars. Not that you couldn't do a trackday elsewhere on PR3's, but you'd probably find yourself dialing it back a notch or two.

Pr3 are plenty sticky depending on what you are looking for out of them. Your average mix of riding they will serve you well.

I wouldn't do a track day on them though.

Depends on what you expect out of a track day!

I would much rather spend a day on the track on Pilot Road III's than not get on the track at all!

There are a few of us that have ridden JenningsGP track on PR3's - ride the Bird to the track, tape up lights, do over 150 miles on the track, remove tape, ride the Bird home all on Pilot Road III's.

Not competitive with the dedicated track bikes but still brings a smile from ear to ear at the end of the day. There has only been one "off" while riding a Bird at JenningsGP but was missing a foot! That is another whole story!

attachicon.gifJenningsGP.JPG

Jennings is a bit of a special case when it comes to tracks- the grip there is insane and it's not all torn to shit by cars. Not that you couldn't do a trackday elsewhere on PR3's, but you'd probably find yourself dialing it back a notch or two.

You are absolutely spot on there Tim!

Even dialed back I would still rather spend a day at the track on PR3's than not get on the track at all!

Even with the insane grip at Jenningsgp many of us have found a way to lose it !

Edited by John01XX

AND THE WINNER IS..................

Thanks to looking on Craigslist someone had these and no longer the bike they fit $180 for BOTH woo hoo.

post-435387-0-62426100-1443063918_thumb.

Edited by ChasRummel

AND THE WINNER IS..................

Power pilot 2CT thanks to members, my own research and a good deal on them.

Chuck,

That is a good price. About $120.00 less than I saw for PR4.

Powers are softer, and stickier than roads, and as Tim says, they will wear faster.

But why not. Your riding season is now short. These a good tires to learn a new bike with.

Post up what you think about the whole package after a few hundred miles.

P. S. Don't forget to scrub those new tires in at lesser lean angles for a few miles. Get the release agents off of them before pushing your cornering limits

Chuck,

I know I sound like my kids. Hey dad, spend money.

But I have had rubber valve stems fail on multiple bikes in the past few years. OEM, Honda valve stems, purchased in a Honda part numbered bag.

Seems that China is making most of the worlds rubber, and it doesn't hold up to UV or ozone like the old stuff.

Nhttps://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=169&osCsid=7fefo912mj53vt8prlt886lit6

Eddy turned me on to these. Ok so my iPad copy / paste skills failed.

Should have shown angled, aluminum valve stems. I got mine from kurveygirl, but my local Honda dealer has a similar product on the shelf.

The angled head makes it easier to fill when using those straight on chucks found at gas stations.

And almost all of the rubber seals are internal and protected.

The only downside that I know of is that a heavy handed mechanic can strip the retaining threads if he doesn't use a torque wrench.

I would look into them, since your tires will be off anyway.

Edited by redxxrdr

I love the Pilot Roads.

Got about 13k miles on the PR3's right now. Worn a bit flat in the rear, but still have tread.

Will likely just replace in the spring. Had around 12k on the PR2's before that.

13K??? What are you riding on,,,,,carpeted bicycle trails with no corners???/??

Always check date codes when buying tires, even at a shop, but especially private party. Even on a shelf they go to shit loosing their grip and structural integrity, been there. How many years they're good for depends on the tire and how it was stored, but they do start to degrade from day 1. The industry considers car tires to be good for 5 years, questionable at 7, and trash at 10. Some shops won't service any tire more than 10 years old, won't even air them up for you.