CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to know it's time for a new battery?

Zero Knievel

Question worth asking.

I'm not talking when your bike won't start and you do the trickle charge and it still won't start (or struggles). That bit is easy IF you've been riding regularly (e.g., just last weekend).

I'm thinking along the lines of the bike sitting for a month before you ride or plan to do a week-long trip. It might be sensible to pop the charger on before the trip, but you could be hiding a weak battery and not realize it.

I used to trust headlight dimming at idle, but with HIDs, that's not a good metric for me.

I was wondering about just checking the battery's voltage with the power off (not that it will prove 100% a weakening battery), but if it sits for a while, IIRC, voltage drops a bit and it just might need a "top off" and it will be good for a long time.

An onboard voltmeter may well be your best indicator. You'll get real time voltage readings under operating conditions (from idle to max rpm). Readings that deveiate from the norm can herald imminent charging system issues (batt, RR, alt...) and prompt an investigation before the problem gets worse/component deteriorates. Some of our members have gotten very creative in crafting onboard voltmeter installations - something I always thought the XX should have had from the factory.

There are many available; for example...

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter-Motorcycle-Battery/dp/B009XQKCQY/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1438020599&sr=1-4&keywords=12v+voltmeter

So, as I have one installed, I'd probably look for consisted sub 12v levels when I go to ON but haven't hit the starter...especially if it had been ridden in the last couple of days.

That's what I'd expect of a weak or failing battery.

I've noticed that too. It's easy to miss if you haven't gotten to ride regularly. It should catch (almost) right away. The one time I knew something was off, it was a small gathering where after a day of riding it struggled to catch (2-3 seconds) when the battery should have been topped off.

Why dont you load test the battery and stop fucking arround?

I did that earlier (and the battery did great), but I'm not talking about "Oh, I suspect this may be a bad battery, let me take it into town to be tested." I'm talking about your average day and you realize the way the bike's behaving it's tell-tale of the battery starting to fail. The warning signs that would make you think to take it into town to be tested.

Get AAA or Honda roadside if it bothers you that much.

Sometimes batteries just die, no warning, no bells or whistles going off to let you know this.

Have had it happen to me several times, know what I did? I bought another battery and moved on with my life.

• Upvote 1

Why dont you load test the battery and stop fucking arround?

I did that earlier (and the battery did great), but I'm not talking about "Oh, I suspect this may be a bad battery, let me take it into town to be tested." I'm talking about your average day and you realize the way the bike's behaving it's tell-tale of the battery starting to fail. The warning signs that would make you think to take it into town to be tested.

thats why I have a load tester. WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT. Paid for itself many times already.

you carry this load tester with you on rides to check at stops?

Had my xx leave me in a parking lot at the beginning of a trip. Bike started great that morning, went for a ride to meet my brother in law in a small town. Stopped for a couple minutes and dead as shit. Got jumped, headed down to the local auto zone 1/2 mile away. Went over the system thanks to Hobies electrical check list here.. Yanked battery out, load tested and done. New battery, and back to riding. stator and R/R still going strong 20k miles later.

Sometimes they just say fuck it, I quit..

Sometimes the heat does it. In the past, I had more than one car battery start fine cold, drove about 45 minutes, turned off for ten minutes and it was dead. If I opened the hood and let it cool off, it would start again. The heat weakened the older battery.