CBR1100XX.org Forum

03 Slips out of 6th at highway speeds..

Hooplehead

Oh, Hooplehead, why did you change out my expensive, fully synthetic, Castrol racing oil, of proper weight, for a no-name, cheap, light weight oil? :rolleyes: Change back to something good, and make a positive, not lazy, shift, with the factory pegs and shifter. All has been right with that bike.

2000+ miles at sustained 90mph was why it was changed. Changed to Valvoline cuz i have about 8 gallons of it here and didnt make a shit of diff in my old 97. Peg lowers cuz im 6'3" and dont forget, blue gauges cuz indiglo is da shit :) Only thing left is to repair a cpla worn throttle cables and drop it in the street...

Cruising the highway is easy on the oil, it would have been fine for at least 5,000 miles. The rest? Yikes. But, I can appreciate it for a bit of humor. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Honda Gn4 or some crap in her now. I'll report back before next oil change when i know if the shifting issue was fixed.

Shifting seems a lot better. Along with the new helmet, I happen to be traveling out of the neighborhood in better time and feeling good about it. I may soften the suspension a little for my tiny weight ass, and i don't really see me pushing her like i used to. The tires O goodness the tires. I do believe they NEVER get to operating temps when i need them the most. About 80% rain and 90% wet roads.... Diablos here I come..... And guys, when you are leaving hot springs or the 'rattler', please be aware the surrounding thru roads arent quite the same.. I cringe watching bikes crest the hills outside my hood, in the wrong lane. Perhaps if they KNEW a salvage yard or 3, a few county dumps, and slow moving vehicles were just the other side. So please, be aware that sometimes we forget to modify our speeds as we enter into residential and unknown areas....

Ps... it aint cuz i give a rats ass about you, i dont want you hitting ME, or my wife.... thanks!

Edited by Hooplehead

The tires O goodness the tires. I do believe they NEVER get to operating temps when i need them the most. About 80% rain and 90% wet roads.... Diablos here I come.....

The Michelin Pilot Power3 on mine feel great. No idea how they'll do wet, but don't seem to need to warm up at all. If your suspension is too stiff it'll be skittish no matter what tires you have. My Duc was slipping all around when I first got it, found out a PO had cranked the rear preload to the moon, now she's settled.

average neighborhood speed is less than 45mph for a total of 199 curves in 6 miles. ONE stright away of about 100 yrds. Rains nearly daily. Im not sure ANY tires would warm in that time actually. I'm sure the pilots are okay, I just remember smokin down the wet roads in rain for year on a pair of diablos. Perhaps a mental thing, but with me... what isnt? Truth be told, the supermoto is the neighborhood weapon of choice.

average neighborhood speed is less than 45mph for a total of 199 curves in 6 miles. ONE stright away of about 100 yrds. Rains nearly daily. Im not sure ANY tires would warm in that time actually. I'm sure the pilots are okay, I just remember smokin down the wet roads in rain for year on a pair of diablos. Perhaps a mental thing, but with me... what isnt? Truth be told, the supermoto is the neighborhood weapon of choice.

get out of your neighborhood and ride the bird

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Bike has been put thru its paces since putting in the Honda oil. Im back to lazy shifting as my usual, but havent had a single missed gear or clash issue since the change. I hate it, but the evidence supports that at least MY '03 prefers gn4 over valvoline. I cant say much more than that, but the results i am sure of.

I'm sure there are other oils out there that'll fulfill the need for less $ or would be better choices, but if you're happy with Honda oil there's nothing wrong with using it.....other than you're stupid and should use my oil of choice.

Flame on!

13 hours ago, Hooplehead said:

Bike has been put thru its paces since putting in the Honda oil. Im back to lazy shifting as my usual, but havent had a single missed gear or clash issue since the change. I hate it, but the evidence supports that at least MY '03 prefers gn4 over valvoline. I cant say much more than that, but the results i am sure of.

I've never had shifting issues with either of these oils but I can say with confidence that the XX mill revs distinctly and quite noticeably quicker using GN-4 10-40 as opposed to the 10-40 Valvoline MC oil. This is my $.02 worth and I'm not knocking the Valvoline product at all since I still use it exclusively in my F bike in the 20-50 weight.

17 hours ago, Warp11XX said:

I can say with confidence that the XX mill revs distinctly and quite noticeably quicker using GN-4 10-40 as opposed to the 10-40 Valvoline MC oil.

This seems impossible, but if there's that much of a friction difference why on earth would you use that other oil in anything?

It's quite possible and quite noticeable...or at least it is to me.

Why? I'm a little OCD (and superstitious) about some things and change isn't always good.....

My F bike is a a moderately hot-rodded 1123 motor that I built and broke in using the Valvoline. Being air cooled and only being run in ultra hot summer conditions, it makes me feel like the heavier and more viscous oil offers better overall wear protection....it snaps up the tach a little faster than the XX. So far, so good at about 25K miles and a few additional mods to the top end to increase it's convenience and "streetability". It's a pain in the ass to find 100+ octane fuel just anywhere....