CBR1100XX.org Forum

Draining the gas tank

ExPatXX

Does anyone know of a good pump for emptying the gas tank on a bike? I had a tough time with mine. I was back in the states for three weeks, so I prepped the bike, ran it, then re-mothballed it. The problem is draining the gas tank. The pumps and siphons I've tried suck moose cock. The red plastic one from Advance Auto lasted one season. The following year-nada.

I'm thinking about looking in Aldrich or other chemical company suppliers. I'm looking at a couple of gallons, that's all. :angry:

Frankly, the simplest thing to do is detach the fuel line from the fuel rail and let it drain into a gas can. I cut my lines and put in quick disconnects so I could easily dismount the tank without having to drain it as they seal the line when not mated.

Edited by Aunt Sylvia

I have problems getting a siphon to work. Draining from the fuel rail won't work on the SV. Using the fuel pump on the SV would have worked by itself, but I didn't have time to disconnect the starter, which is on the same circuit.

As for how long they stay between uses? - two years, which is longer than I want for gas with Stabil in it. If the damn gas did not have ethanol in it, I might chance it. So now I alternate bikes. The Blackbird is next to be run, after an oil change- might make it to NeXXt. Draining the tank on the 'Bird is a problem too, as the valve is vacuum operated. Grainger has decent pumps- but they're serious investments- $200 and up. . I saw one for $50, that looks like a gas pump nozzle and works by squeezing the handle to operate the pump, but I'm suspicious of that thing.

Use a jumper wire in place of the fuel pump relay. You probably want to coat the empty tank with oil to prevent it rusting and leave the cap open so it doesn't accumulate condensation, a rag over the hole to keep stuff out. Or store it completely full, could mix some oil in for added protection, then drain before riding.

Edited by superhawk996

Extraction pump. The one I bought is identical but has MOTO something on it and I think it was cheaper. The liquid never touches the pump as long as you don't overfill the container so it shouldn't be harmed by anything you use it for.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-6-Liter-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433261461&sr=1-2&keywords=oil+extractor

Briggs & Stratton "Fresh-start" fuel preservative is guaranteed for 2 years of storage. I've never gone that long, but........

This is how I do mine:

Sometimes I think you knock that thing over every once in a while just for the photo op.

Nah. Barrel, meet fish. Fish, barrel.

I have problems getting a siphon to work.

Here's what I suggest. Use clear vinyl tubing so you can see what's going on, a long enough piece to reach the ground when it's in the tank. Smaller diameter tubing around 1/4" is a bit slower but easier to work with, don't exceed 3/8" or it's a pain. I slip a big nut onto the hose with a smaller snug fitting nut 'threaded' on, or you can zip-tie something on, anything to help keep it at the bottom of the tank since the tubing is usually coiled and wants to curl up in the tank. Insert the weighted end to the lowest part of the tank letting the excess hose droop and suck 'till the fuel fills the droop. Slowly lower the end allowing it to fill, when the end reaches the fuel level in the tank it'll be full, put your thumb on it to hold it full. Lower it into a gas can or pail or whatever and release the thumb. Assuming the container is big enough to hold all the fuel you have to drain, go grab a beer and let gravity do the work for you. If it's cold and the tubing is stiffly coiled weight the other end to keep it down in your catch container.

Edited by superhawk996

think you are over oiling your chain or not cleaning the bike enough

either or..

Hobie's star pupil. :rolleyes:

I was taught early, forcefully and with no tact or diplomacy by Obi Benwah Kenhobie to not clean yer ride.

• Upvote 1