CBR1100XX.org Forum

Has anyone converted the stop/run switch?

vincer

Well, what Vern said, but then, if you're gonna do it, look at the wiring diagram and see what all may be involved. It may be tied into shit that you don't want to fuck with.

Personally, mine spends enough time horizontal and electrically live that I would want to keep mine.

I guess I'm the only one here who's never used it, I'd convert it with no second thoughts if I had a use for it. The switch probably isn't designed to carry much power so you may want to add a relay for your accessory. If you sell it and the buyer has an issue you can easily reverse it as long as you don't hack things up.

• Upvote 1

For a couple bucks more, I just got this switch with a rubber boot as well. Very high quality and has an ip67 rating for water resistance.

Personally, mine spends enough time horizontal and electrically live that I would want to keep mine.

Bank angle sensor should cover you for your photo ops.

That said, I never use mine but still consider it a safety of sorts that I wouldn't disable.

I've hit mine by mistake a couple times on my previous bikes and then sat there scratching my head like a moron trying to figure out why the bike won't start. Thankfully on the new FJR they have incorporated it with the start button so that can't happen. Pure engineering genius. That said, I wouldn't mess with it either. Just too easy to add extra switches.

• Upvote 1

Bank angle sensor should cover you for your photo ops.

That said, I never use mine but still consider it a safety of sorts that I wouldn't disable.

IIRC, the engine kills but the lights & stuff are still on. Maybe I just instinctively turn the key. It all happensso quickly.

I always use the key, but I agree it is probably easier to wire in a nice aux switch - there are lots of good-looking weatherproof switches out there now.

With one exception, every dirt bike I've had sported the kill switch on the throttle side - you know, the side that is buried in the same dirt that is pinning the throttle, or the same side that is up in the air where you can't reach it because you're flat on the ground gasping for breath from a solid whack to the diaphragm. The Scorpa has the kill switch on the triple tree, where it can be reached just as easily from one side as the other.

I always use the key, but I agree it is probably easier to wire in a nice aux switch - there are lots of good-looking weatherproof switches out there now.

With one exception, every dirt bike I've had sported the kill switch on the throttle side - you know, the side that is buried in the same dirt that is pinning the throttle, or the same side that is up in the air where you can't reach it because you're flat on the ground gasping for breath from a solid whack to the diaphragm. The Scorpa has the kill switch on the triple tree, where it can be reached just as easily from one side as the other.

Change it to a switch with a lanyard to your wrist, problems solved.