CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anti-Seize on plugs?

blackhawkxx

Why don't the plugs come with a dab of it on the threads right out of the box?

It would cost more to do it and package them in a way that it wouldn't get all over the place, it's also not a universally accepted practice. In fact I don't recall it recommended in any manual, but I generally don't read the instructions on spark plug replacement. I've never had an issue with using antiseize or oil on plugs but have had issues with plugs that had been installed dry.

OK, if we agree with what y'all said, I'll take it in a slightly different direction. At the auto parts store they sell those little-bitty single-use packets of anti-seize and dielectric grease at the counter. Buy a pack of their plugs and get one free?

Be a pretty good promo idea.

OK, if we agree with what y'all said, I'll take it in a slightly different direction. At the auto parts store they sell those little-bitty single-use packets of anti-seize and dielectric grease at the counter. Buy a pack of their plugs and get one free?

Be a pretty good promo idea.

Bike shop I deal with has done that for me. Free sample size tubes of grip glue with purchase of grips too.

• 4 weeks later...

At only 33k I haven't had to change plugs, or even look at the K&N filter since I installed it.. hide.gif

I normally use it when I do plugs, etc. Really should do the bike soon, and my truck is due too.

They say they work better when dirty. ;)

Yes, but not dry. You should check it and probably give it a spritz, or drop it in the trash and put in a stock filter. When you pull it check out all the beautiful dust that has likely gathered in the air box, imagine how much flowed through the engine to leave the film of dust in the airbox. As they get dirty, if kept oiled, they do filter better. I've seen a few good tests done and the cheapest paper filter does a better job than a K&N. By the time they're dirty enough to filter almost as well as a paper filter they're much more restrictive. A dry K&N is about as good a filter as a screen door. I don't know what the micron size is but being that you can see through it I'd say it's beyond micron measurement. Whether or not it adds power might depend on the application. I've seen a couple dyno runs that indicated no gain.

• 4 weeks later...

My Bird came with the K&N filter. I don't have any dust on the inside of the airbox after the filter. Then again I keep it oiled. It does stop mice and their nest from entering the intake. .. 😀 ask me how I know this... go a head... lol

Edited by slowrideCX