CBR1100XX.org Forum

Directional car tires

blackhawkxx

This is totally unrelated to OP, but putting car tire(s) on motorcycle is retarded. No, you will not die instantly with the car tire but it ius still retarded.

BTW, the rider in post 22 sucks, counter-leaning and other wrong things of that nature.

This is a motorcycle forum, discussing car tire directions, how is my post unrelated to OP?

Your post do nothing more than calling names and insults; making judgement on topic you have no experience with.

Edited by "A"

The reason I asked if you were riding off road is because you were asking about a winter tire. I have never came across a Bird with a car tire on the rear but there was a Goldwing on here that had a car tire and if I remember right, he also used a rear tire mounted backwards on the front.

Since car tires are designed to be use with vehicle with more weight (and generate great forces), softer compound of ice/winter car tire would be better suited for moto application than regular car tire, does that make sense?

I've ridden over 16k miles with a car tire mounted on the rear wheel of a Burgman 650, I feel that the handling issues while vehicle transition between the car tire leaning during turns can be deal with practice, just like any new tire mounted on a 2-wheel vehicle.

Operator need to get used to the handling character of any new tire, feel for the limits and allow tire to "scrub-in".

Plenty of 2-wheel vehicles such as Goldwings, FJR1300, Triumph Rocket III, heavyweights with high torque and HP output are know to use car tire on the rear wheel for better mileage between tire changes, more solid highway handling and more contact patch at nearly all vehicle lean conditions.

Just because tire manufacturers do not "recommend" the application, doesn't mean that car tire usage is dangerous for all application on motorcycles. People have turbos, superchargers, track tires, non-DOT (off-road) tires mounted on bikes, or even tow trailers all the time, accident rate is no more than regular moto-specific tire mounted bikes. It is up to the operator to consider the application and riding style for their vehicles.

I have heard of Iron Butt rider on XX riding with a car tire mounted on the rear wheel, but can't seem to find any pics.

Edited by "A"

This is totally unrelated to OP, but putting car tire(s) on motorcycle is retarded. No, you will not die instantly with the car tire but it ius still retarded.

BTW, the rider in post 22 sucks, counter-leaning and other wrong things of that nature.

This is a motorcycle forum, discussing car tire directions, how is my post unrelated to OP?

Your post do nothing more than calling names and insults; making judgement on topic you have no experience with.

I drove a bike ( fjr) on car tire. Sure, you are not gonna die, get killed and it is not necessarily dangerous but it ruins the handling of the performance machine. It takes considerable effort to get the bike into a turn and then you have to apply constant pressure.

Not interested. I did not call names, just said the rider in post 22 is low on the skill level and therefore I would not be interested to hear what he has to say about car tire on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Chew on this for a little bit...

With block-type tires, a common irregular wear condition is what is called “heel and toe” wear. As the tire turns, and each block comes in contact with the pavement, the edge that touches first, the “heel,” is compressed and pushed in the direction of travel.

The other edge, the “toe,” is distorted by the force of the weight on it – in the same direction. As the tire rolls through its footprint, eventually only the very edge of the tread block is in contact with the pavement.

At this point, the edge of the tread can “snap” and “drag” as it loses contact with the road. This creates more wear on the trailing edge of the block than on the leading edge, a phenomenon called “heel and toe wear.”

It all has to due with Forces, and the ability of the rubber composition to overcome those forces, or not to.

Hmmm... Have you ever seen a set of Slicks cup? Why? Because the quote above doesn't just happen on treaded tires, it happens on all tires, it's what happens to a round rubber tire, under high loads, rolling on a flat suface.

So, if the heel is the starting point of the tread blocks rolling stretch, and it does not wear as fast as the toe.... then I wonder what would happen if you exagerate the the rolling stretch... when you turn the tire the other direction. Hmmmm.

Also... I'm glad to know that since I've been filling up my vehicles with fuel for the last 30 years.... that I should therefore know more about the burning rates of the said fuels than the chemists that design them. Thanks Hopple.

Now to speculate so more... if I was a tire manufacturer, would I make more money selling one million mile tires, tires made to almost never wear due to there rubber composition, OR would I make more money if I sold tires that wore out every 30 - 80K miles. Hmmmm.