CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacement HID headlights

John01XX

Time for a new pair to replace the 10 year old set of 35W McCulloch's that have served me well.

Must decide if I want the 55W verses the 35W? Any recommendations appreciated.

Would love to have the higher brightness as long as it is not a problem with heat.

Will be ordering the new digital slim ballast set-up from DDM

What say the masses?

Go for the 55 waters from DDM...they work great.
I had a pair with 5000K bulbs in the Turbo for 4 years with no problems.
The 5000K gives a very intense white light while the 4300K gives a yellower, more sunlight like light.
Lots of threads here John if you feel like reading...

Thanks Hank,

Will go with the 55's then

Was concerned about to much heat and possibly melting the housing

Also the DDM. Site recommends the 6000K in the 55W and 5000K in the 35W for the brightest white light.

They say the higher wattage tends to wash out the slight blue tint in the 55's to give you the brightest usable white light. The 35's give off the brightest usable white light in the 5000K.

I think I will go with the 55W in the 6000K myself

John, for what it's worth, I'm running 55W digital brand H3's in a set of projectors in my Civic....5000K and I love the light output. I'm not a fan of the really blue looking stuff.......just lots and lots of light output. My 55W/5000K lights produce a lot of usable light and hardly any bluish tint.

John, for what it's worth, I'm running 55W digital brand H3's in a set of projectors in my Civic....5000K and I love the light output. I'm not a fan of the really blue looking stuff.......just lots and lots of light output. My 55W/5000K lights produce a lot of usable light and hardly any bluish tint.

thanks Vern

55's.... Yes...

6000K's.... NO.

If it was me... I would put the 4300K in. Look at there color chart on the DDM website, the 55's wash out the color a bit, and the 5K's give you a very bright white, but after 5-6-7 years, I'm still not sold that it's the best color. I'm really starting to believe a little yellow IS a good thing.

ps. Thanks for making me look at the DDM site again, I see they have the Raptor Ballasts once again... Although, now they call them Ultra's and the are pricier.

my DDM 35W are the 4300k and after a couple yrs my lowbeam is now more white than when new, flick on the highbeam and it brings out a hint of blue which is ok, but i would rather have white with hint of yellow than white with hint of blue

Saw a truck the other week driving home at night with blue/purple lights.. Don't know how the hell he drove at night, my cars fog lights probably casted more visible light then his headlights. All you could see what this faint blacklight looking glow in front of him.

probably why he stayed in the slow lane and was doing 5 under the limit, driving as fast as what he could see.