CBR1100XX.org Forum

Programming a new chip key? Vibe

Mikey

Borrowed the inlaws car. We are notorious for misplacing keys so I bought a replacement key. It's chipped. I have no idea how to get the car to accept the new key. I found instructions that include locking and unlocking the car with the electronic locks...the locks aren't electronic. So that won't work.

Anyone have access to instructions for a new chip key? It's a 2008 Pontiac Vibe. No remote (nothing is electronic).

With some cars it's a DIY, some require programming with a computer. Google your car. The dealer told me I couldn't program keys or a remote for my Explorer without their computer and quoted just under about $200 for one of each. I bought an OE remote and two keys on ebay for under $30 and programmed them in minutes. When my parents borrowed the Explorer they paid Ford for a key & programming fearing it might get lost (sound familiar?) and got an aftermarket key from the dealer where I got factory keys for way less on ebay.

I've got the key, it does seem to be DIY but the ownersmanual says to bring to shop. And I can't find any instructions that don't have locking and unlocking the doors (it's not an electronic door lock).