CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Seal - Clutch push rod

Hobicus

Well, after 107,000 miles, my XX has an oil leak. The oil seal around the clutch push rod appears to be worn out.

Has anyone replaced this seal? Is it just pull it out and press the new one in, or is it something that has be pressed in from the inside?

Remove the pushrod first, then pop the seal out...

Ok, so nothing special. Clean it up, and put the new one in, ride another 100,000 miles.

Rich,

Did you ever do this? I just replaced mine like maybe three weeks ago when I had the case apart. IIRC, I don't think you're gonna be able to replace from the outside. I just threw my old one away but seem to think it was metal reinforced and won't bend.

Rich,

Did you ever do this? I just replaced mine like maybe three weeks ago when I had the case apart. IIRC, I don't think you're gonna be able to replace from the outside. I just threw my old one away but seem to think it was metal reinforced and won't bend.

Yes, I did it this weekend. You are correct, it's a metal reinforced seal, but came out pretty easy with a screwdriver pressed along the edge. It did end up all bent to hell, but I was replacing it anyway.

Put the new one in by positioning it and pressing it in as far as I could with my fingers, then tapping it in with a 17mm socket.

• Upvote 1

Rich, So what major maintenance have you done over the 107,000 miles?

Major maintenance? Ummm...

I typically do the fork oil every 10,000 miles or once a season, whichever comes first

Change the oil every 5k miles, or before a long trip, or after a long trip

Tires and Chains as necessary. Check wheel bearings whenever the tires are off, but so far no problems (knock on wood)

Replaced the steering head bearings with tapered ones at ~50k

Replaced a failed stator and Reg/Rectifier at ~55k. Soldered the wires for the RR at 80k because the connector was melting.

Valve check at 50k, needed nothing. Valve check at 100k, needed adjusting

Once in a great while, I wash it.

Rich,

Yes, I did it this weekend. You are correct, it's a metal reinforced seal, but came out pretty easy with a screwdriver pressed along the edge. It did end up all bent to hell, but I was replacing it anyway.

Put the new one in by positioning it and pressing it in as far as I could with my fingers, then tapping it in with a 17mm socket.

Nice, good to know. But since we both just changed it with over 100K, we prob won't be doing it again!

Rich, So what major maintenance have you done over the 107,000 miles?

Once in a great while, I wash it.

Do you have any actual documentation of this?

It's kind of like Big Foot, Sasquatch, or the Yeti... it's been rumored but only witnessed by a few.

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

Hey! Running into the same problem... any chance you guys remember the correct seal to use?  Part number?  Where to order it?  Any help will be much appreciated!!   Thanks in advance

Forgot.... its a 97 blackbird.... here is a pic of what i’m trying to replace.... not sure if i’m referring to a seal? Or a guide?   Or some

sort of grommet?   Any help would be HUGE

FBA61E56-4C60-4301-BE8F-EAC0952CF92C.jpeg

Tomek!!!   Thank you!!!  Been crunching what few brain cells i had left tryna fig this out!!   I owe ya a beer!!  Looked at every diagram except the water pump.... duh!!

13 minutes ago, jon haney said:

Lot of rust there for a leaking oil seal.  Just say'n.🤪

Make sure the push rod is in good shape and not corroded.  Good used ones are easy to acquire.

Yea.... that was from changing the front sprocket!   Rod is in good shape

also... that seal that you see in the photo is from a sportster.... closest thing i could find..... been tryna find that correct seal for a year now.... just found these forums... great way to connect with fellow riders and share info....  but the sportster seal got me thru the summer with only minor oil leak.  Not perfect but ....

thanks for the heads up

2 hours ago, Bbop said:

Yea.... that was from changing the front sprocket!   Rod is in good shape

also... that seal that you see in the photo is from a sportster.... closest thing i could find..... been tryna find that correct seal for a year now.... just found these forums... great way to connect with fellow riders and share info....  but the sportster seal got me thru the summer with only minor oil leak.  Not perfect but ....

thanks for the heads up

Sportster, huh?  That explains the rust.  BAHAHAHAHA!