CBR1100XX.org Forum

tank removal injected model?

paul99xx

my manual seems to only cover the carbed models, i can't see any quick release connectors on the fuel lines. i just want to replace the airfilter, tried a search in the garage and youtube no luck.

No need for complete removal for an air filter. Just unbolt it (two bolts in front of battery) and prop it up to remove airbox cover. It's been a while, so I can't remember whether you just prop up the back or pull the front rubber mounts loose and prop up the front, but either way disconnecting the fuel lines isn't required. Pretty sure there's room just propping up the back, though you may need to disconnect a vacuum or vent line.

One more thing, wait till the tank is nearly empty, it makes that whole propping operation much easier.

Undo 2 bolts in the back and remove collars-washers, slide the front of the tank from the frame, temporarily install bolts in the back, prop up the front of the tank.

If you want a long-term fix, I cut my fuel lines and installed quick disconnects on the supply and return lines. Now I can just pop both lines, disconnect the wire harness and drain line and just remove the tank without losing more than a couple drops of gas.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=70322

All good answers, I'll chime in as well.

Wait till your fuel light is on. Undo all your clips and fasteners. Undo the electrical connection to the tank at the left of the battery. Place a thick pad, towel or otherwise, over the general area of the battery. Pull the tank back and off the front rubbers, then rotate the tank up in front and onto its top, resting upside down on the towel. with the fuel lines still connected. You now have unimpeded access to the airbox and anything else you wish to play with on top of the engine.

Particular caution should be made that the tank does not fall off the bike. Chock or block the front wheel so that when you are pushing the tank back on you do not roll it off its stand. And reconnect the fuel pump.

However, the best solution is Zero's.

thanks guys, i see what you mean now, rediculously easy, disconnect a couple of wires, bit of wiggling to get the front loose and done.

post-1189-0-21267400-1393464116_thumb.jp

• 8 years later...
On 2/23/2014 at 9:19 AM, rockmeupto125 said:

All good answers, I'll chime in as well.

Wait till your fuel light is on. Undo all your clips and fasteners. Undo the electrical connection to the tank at the left of the battery. Place a thick pad, towel or otherwise, over the general area of the battery. Pull the tank back and off the front rubbers, then rotate the tank up in front and onto its top, resting upside down on the towel. with the fuel lines still connected. You now have unimpeded access to the airbox and anything else you wish to play with on top of the engine.

Particular caution should be made that the tank does not fall off the bike. Chock or block the front wheel so that when you are pushing the tank back on you do not roll it off its stand. And reconnect the fuel pump.

However, the best solution is Zero's.