CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hardwood Flooring

EVLXX

Question...

What is Best to use to Fill a Large Crack that has formed?

The largest crack is 1/4" or so.

Short Back story, semi new Hardwood 3-6 months, dry climate, humidifier yes, but since the furnace has kicked on a few times... I think some of the wood Dried way to fast and Dry Cracked.

I've read about sawdust and glue... but I'm hoping for some personal proven experience.

Anybody?

• 1 month later...

Shit man I'm sorry I missed your post earlier. I have laid 4 bedrooms, hallway and stairwell with unfinished oak hardwood by myself, so plenty of experience. Did you save any pieces? I would sand quite a bit of it and get a NEW can of wood putty. Yeah, a flooring company should have the good stuff. Mix the sawdust into it, you can use acetone thin thin it up, you will need to. It is not going to match perfectly, since you have your floor already epoxied.

Learn to live with it, and the cracks add charm to a floor. Smoke a joint and become one with the imperfections. Gives the floor something to strive for.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well.. I've decided to let it go for this year, and just live with the cracks... for now.

Do to the very dry Colorado climate... I don't want to be chasing my tail, so I'll give it time to crack as much as it's going to... then I think I'll just replace the individual boards, next winter.