CBR1100XX.org Forum

OEM parts

EVLXX

Since winter is fast upon us, I figure it's time for some maintenance. Of the long list that I need to accomplish, there are a few items that I have decided I want to go OEM on, those are the Air cleaner, the FPR, and a Front Sprocket. So... since I hate the semi-local dealership... I'm shopping online.

Here is what I found. Maybe it'll help someone else as well.

First Up... Bike Bandit. http://www.bikebandit.com/

Air Cleaner... 39.02 each...78.04 for 2

FPR .... 46.50

F. Sprocket... 56.87

Shipping... ? (I didn't even make it to that point, you'll see why as you go on)

total.....181.41 + shipping

Next Up... Ron Ayers http://www.ronayers.com/

Air Cleaner... 33.84 each...67.68 for 2

FPR .... 46.22

F. Sprocket... 55.20

Shipping... 18.00

total.....187.10

Next Up... Honda Parts Direct http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/

Air Cleaner... 29.83 each...59.66 for 2

FPR .... 42.83

F. Sprocket... 51.15

Shipping... 16.00

total.....169.64

And Last.... Direct Line http://www.hdlparts.com/default.asp

Air Cleaner... 30.04 each...60.08 for 2

FPR .... 42.52

F. Sprocket... 50.78

Shipping... 7.50

total.....160.88

Closing thoughts.... I did not try and remember who sells what here, it's to difficult and convoluted most of the time... so fuck it... I did an internet search for OEM parts and the above mentioned popped up.

As far as ease of use... The websites go in reverse order... Bike Bandits was the easiest to use and didn't have all the superseded bs. Direct line was almost the most confusing... but still... not hard, I cutting hairs here.

And by NOT going to the Local dealership... I saved paying for gasoline.... a huge mark up on price (they are always 30-40% higher that anybody else).... and having to deal with some arrogant asshole behind the counter. (Fuck You Fay Meyers!!!)

Like I said... Hopefully this helps someone else.

Have a good day.

Well I'll add that Bike Bandit is Not winning any awards from me on any level....

My latest purchase from them, for my work, was an absolute pain in the ass. First off they sent me a order confirmation email in seconds, which was fine. But then they sent me a supposedly Fraud check email requesting further conformation.... 5 hours later... after I had gone home for the day. needles to say they canceled the order.... When I find out this all happened after the fact... I play a phone tag game with there customer service department... hopeing to get everything straightened out. Again.. I think everything is worked out... and go home for the day...

Wrong!!! I get another email.. same shit... so I play the game some more....

Yada yada yada... I finally get there stupid ass security people happy and the order is processed... days after I started.

... then there shipping was by snail truck... well not really... it wasn't the truck that took an extra two days it was there shipping department...

Needless to say... Bike Bandit will never be getting my order again. EVER!

I have had very good experience with Honda Direct Line Parts (www.hdlparts.com) but I am bias since

I have a long relationship with the owner. I bought my 01 Bird new from them in 2001 and have probably

bought over 1000 CCT's (Lifter sets) from them!

Just a quick FYI, they will price match anyone on the net on Honda OEM parts.

They have had some issues but generally their customer service is very good.

Your welcome...

and good to know...

price matching... I have not found anywhere cheaper to buy factory replacement air filters.... OE or not.

And as for the front sprocket... well... it has the Dampener built in, and I'm tired of listening to the aftermarket one "sing". I want quiet.... from parts I don't need to hear... so that I Can hear the parts that I need too.

Wow, Eric! I've been buying stuff from Bike Bandit for several years now and have never had the issues you had. I think that was just some real bad luck there, but I understand you wanting to avoid them. Thanks for posting though. I was unaware of those last two direct sources.

For everyone else, IIRC, ground shipping from Bike Bandit is free for orders over $50. I just placed an order for about $70 and shipping was free. Also, if you are an AMA member, you get a %10 discount on most parts.

Between that and free shipping, I got those other 3 beat. Of course, just like groceries, changing what you're ordering can turn the tables.

Since my local Honda dealer went under I use a store in a little-bitty town I work in on weekends. I look up the parts through Ron Ayers, give them the numbers and the prices, and they match. I call a week ahead so I know they will have it. Granted, I use gas, but I pass right by them.

I used to do this at the store that closed.

BTW, cush drives are cheap, $12 about.

Wish I could find a place like that, Philip. My local store is 85 miles away, and they charge MSRP on everything. When I need little items, it can work in my favor because there's no shipping, and online orders may charge $10 to ship a $5 part.

Eric and all, don't forget to check other online forum's Vendor Sections where they often offer a further 2-10% discount off their online prices. I had dealer status with RonAyers back when I was doing more XX work, and they still have a bit of wiggle room. Viffer forums, ST forums, CBR forums, even XX forums often have online vendor support. Of course they also have ads, and rules, and open forums. :)

As a rule....

I got to Bike Bandit to get part numbers and price. If the local stealership is about that price, I order from them. Support a local business and come out about as well once you factor in shipping costs and delays.

When it comes to OEM parts, I find nobody really has consistent drop-dead savings to always get the business.

Cush Drives..... You need to replace those??? Hu.. never have.

Check other Online Forum Vendors... ya, not going to happen.

Got an email from Ron Ayers, checking to see why I didn't complete my order, so I sent them a reply back. I explianed that I was price checking and looking for their shipping costs, and I told them they were 14% too high on their prices....

They sent me this responce.

Our shipping prices are posted in the FAQ for everyone to see without having to proceed to checkout. We will be doing a price restructure in the next few days that will place us cheaper than any one of our major competitors. Keep an eye out for that.

Thanks,

RonAyers.com Parts

My last experience with Bike Bandit, was when I ordered chain lube and received brake cleaner. I resolved the issue by phone, kept the brake cleaner.

Seems they had the numbers fucked up in their on-line order system. The confirmation I received after they created the second order was for brake cleaner.

Go figure.

Shit happens everywhere,no dealer or on-line source is exempt.What surprises me most is no matter what sellers claim to discount,no 2 items ever seem to cost the same at any 2 different dealers.Sometimes its fun to see just how much the other guys are bumping there prices so you know where you stand on yours.I found it common practice in London,but very rare in Toronto and there really isn't a big difference in the # of dealers,but there is in the area population.Also on-line shopping wasn't nearly a big deal when I was in T.O. 10 yrs ago.

I did find strange price differences sometimes locally,only to discover the reason being one place hadn't installed the new price updates in a while.

It's very hard to make any real money in this business,the more competitive on-line becomes the more local dealers who can't afford the huge parts discounts suffer.It's a no win situation for some.Leaving aside all the piss poor shops who don't deserve the business here.

I received my parts on 12.10.2013

They all look great, no surprise there, as expected, and the shipping delay was.... a little slow but... acceptable.

Which brings up a question..... if Dealers don't have Massive warehouses to stock all the different parts for old bikes... then who does and where are they?

Do the above mentioned Vendors have massive warehouses of parts, or are they themselves just middle men?

I'm guessing middle men.... hence the 10 day shipping.

Just thoughts....

Honda dealers order parts from their regional distributor. From the best I've been able to garner over the years, if its not available from the distributor, its placed on backorder and the dealer washes their hands of it....because they cannot order from any other regional distributor. Additionally, Canada and the USA maintain different regional distributors as well.

Its happened many times that a part I want is backordered from one supplier, but available from a supplier in a different region of the country. And there have been times when I've ordered a part from a Canadian supplier because it was not available from a supplier in the USA. What an asinine business model, especially in this day of computers and up to the minute inventory.

Canada has 3 Honda parts warehouses,if one doesn't have stock it can (only now the dealer has to request) be shipped from either of the other 2.I don't know what you really mean by the "dealer washes their hands of it",backordered is backordered,Honda is out and it's coming from Japan.Canada and the US can get parts from each othr,but some dealers are assholes and have no idea of this or are just plain ignorant and couldn't put the effort in to make a phone call or a fax or e-mail.I got b/o parts from the USA fairly regularly,and once a Honda parts rep told me 60% of Canada's Honda parts come from the USA,although I find that hard to believe but who knows.

And for my Canadian friends,if you have a part on b/o,Honda Canada has a thing called "critical b/o",ask your dealer,your 4 week wait can be as little as 4 days.Hopefully this still exists,been 2 yrs since I worked at a Honda dealer.

And yes,they get it from the US instead of waiting for it from Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

I never worked for Honda. I based these assumptions on observations of when and how items are available.

If I need a part, and call 30 dealers on the east coast to check on availability and they all say "backorder," it must be on backorder, right? But then I call a dealer in Colorado, and they say they can have it in two days and ship to me at that point then it must not be on backorder in Colorado....which relies on a different warehouse. So the dealers on the east coast "wash their hands of it" meaning they'll have nothing more to do with my parts request once their warehouse shows backorder. I don't know if that's their own policy or Honda policy to not check other regions, but if EVERY dealer gives the same story, I'd suspect its Honda,

And yeah, I've done things like that...more times than I care to remember.

Joe,

I think it is actually the dealer giving you the brush off if it says backordered.

That statement is based on my CCT orders from Honda Directline, where they check beyond the

east coast warehouse if they show backordered. There has been a time or two that it showed

backordered but were found on the left coast and just took an extra day or two to get them

delivered to their dealership in Ohio and then on to me.

Scott would know for sure as the GM for a Honda dealership.

I never worked for Honda. I based these assumptions on observations of when and how items are available.

If I need a part, and call 30 dealers on the east coast to check on availability and they all say "backorder," it must be on backorder, right? But then I call a dealer in Colorado, and they say they can have it in two days and ship to me at that point then it must not be on backorder in Colorado....which relies on a different warehouse. So the dealers on the east coast "wash their hands of it" meaning they'll have nothing more to do with my parts request once their warehouse shows backorder. I don't know if that's their own policy or Honda policy to not check other regions, but if EVERY dealer gives the same story, I'd suspect its Honda,

And yeah, I've done things like that...more times than I care to remember.

Wow.I suspect Honda has decided to charge extra for shipping from one warehouse to another and dealers just won't pay,or give you the option to pay at least.Shipping is a brutal cost of doing business in the powersports industry,and it can eliminate profit on a small order,but shit,that just sounds like a lot of piss poor attitudes working at a lot of dealers.

• 2 months later...