CBR1100XX.org Forum

3rd hot water heater in 15 years? WTFO?

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

Can someone tell me whats up with this? My father just called and told me that his water heater is leaking. We just replaced it 4 years ago. We went back in the archive. New one in 2000, next one in 2009, and now another leaking tank. Everything is right. Water has been tested, anodes changed every year or two, drained off tank every year, whole house filter in place. Just cant figure it out. The last 3 models have been a BOCK. We thought they were a good brand?? The ONLY thing that I can see that is uncommon is that hes using an oil fired burner. Could this possibly be the issue?? Are the guts of an oil fired heater different that an electric?? Need some advice fast.

Wow the last oil fired burner I had was on city water, it lasted 30 years and was only replaced because the client went electric.

What did the anode look like when you pulled it? You've checked the water, but it really sounds like there is an electrolysis going on. I once saw something similar in an industrial setting where there were thousands of fluorescent lights and the building wasn't well grounded so there was actually a small current in the pipes, something in the milliamperes. Some builders will ground the electric panel to the water main, it's not usually a big deal if you're on city water, but it sounds like your dad might be on a well. If the electric panel is grounded to the water supply and your pipe to the well is carlon or some kind of non conductive material, you could have a floating ground causing some current to move through the pipes and cause a leak. Are the pipes copper? If so I'd have a look at them also.

• Upvote 1

Jowhee is onto something there. If everything with the water checked out then it must be some type of a backfeed of electric through the pipes. Oil heaters are typically heavier metal do to the heat they have to withstand. Check to see if anything is grounded to the pipes and change it to a ground rod outside the house.

Good luck.

You fucking guys are geniuses. We went down to the panel, and there's a piece of bx cable going from the panel to the main copper pipe, just upstream of the expansion tank. The well feed is plastic. So what you guys are saying is there is current flowing trough the piping, into the hot water heater, and through electrolysis, slowly eating the tank?? I thought that the anodes took care of that. When we pulled them last, they looked eaten up, but not very much. I've seen little nubs at the top of the anode rod. Anyway, off to get another heater, and ground the panel outside. We'll see what happens? Is oil fired the way to go? Or are electrics more efficient. They certainly are cheaper. He says the water heater barely uses any fuel. He has an oil furnace as well.

Oil is not efficient if that is what you are asking. Electric is 100% efficient because every bit of energy you use to produce heat is harnessed. Oil is only about 75-80% on hot water heaters. The reason they use very little fuel is because they only fire a maximum gpm of .75 I used to fire them down to .60-.65 gpm.

Oil you will never run out of hot water. They are dirty and require service every year.

I am a natural gas lover. From years of working with them I have learned to hate oil do to it being a filthy animal. Gas is much more efficient. Not so much on the hot water heaters but the furnaces are light years more efficient then oil. Oh and clean!!!!

But back to the HWH electric will work if you don't have a rw ally high demand for water. They don't produce nearly as much HW as oil or gas.

I know someone here will say oil produces more BTU per therm than gas but you are sending several hundred degrees of heat up and out the chimney whereas gas high efficiency units exhaust temp is less then 120º .

I converted my farther from oil to gas and saved him 2 thousand dollars the first season. Basically paid for the equipment in one year.

Your Bock tank should be under warranty so go back to where you bought the tank.

+1 on what slowride said. I run gas, but ONLY because it's much cheaper to run where I live than electric. Electric is the simplest and I like it keep it simple, it's also the quietest. If you go gas it's expensive to set up, new chimney, gas or propane installation etc.. I hate oil, it's dirty expensive and complicated, sounds like my ex.

If you do go gas you can line the old chimney for a couple hundred bucks. Its easy. Or go with direct vent through the wall. The equipment is more expensive but much better.

You won't regret getting away from oil if you do switch...

Regardless of the oil commercials. They are such bullshit. Lol

I thought the manufacture warranty date was stamped on the water heater and requires no receipt.

At least I have seen a plumber here in Florida replace water heaters under warranty based on the

manufacture date on the heater many times.

Labor is not covered of course but the cost of the tank is.

John is correct. How much hassle you have depends on the supply house you purchased it from.

The owner will pay all labor charges for the removal and installation of such parts,
including the tank. Any replacement water heater furnished under this warranty
shall remain in warranty only for the unexpired portion of the original warranty.
The owner will have annual inspections of the anode rods. Bock Water Heaters,
Inc. requires paid receipts to show maintenance of anodes on glass lined tank
claims.
This warranty will not apply to tanks or parts subject to misuse, abuse, neglect,
alteration, accident, excessive temperature, excessive pressure, lime, silt or sediment
accumulation, corrosive atmosphere, the removal of magnesium anode
rods, noise, odor, rusty water, or the installation of an insulation blanket, installation
outside of the United States (excluding Canada), or on which the
serial numbers have been altered. The warranty also does not apply when the
water heater is installed without a new temperature and pressure relief valve and
is not installed in accordance with local codes and ordinances.

We shall see???

The owner will pay all labor charges for the removal and installation of such parts,
including the tank. Any replacement water heater furnished under this warranty
shall remain in warranty only for the unexpired portion of the original warranty.
The owner will have annual inspections of the anode rods. Bock Water Heaters,
Inc. requires paid receipts to show maintenance of anodes on glass lined tank
claims.
This warranty will not apply to tanks or parts subject to misuse, abuse, neglect,
alteration, accident, excessive temperature, excessive pressure, lime, silt or sediment
accumulation, corrosive atmosphere, the removal of magnesium anode
rods, noise, odor, rusty water, or the installation of an insulation blanket, installation
outside of the United States (excluding Canada), or on which the
serial numbers have been altered. The warranty also does not apply when the
water heater is installed without a new temperature and pressure relief valve and
is not installed in accordance with local codes and ordinances.

We shall see???

Find a plumber friend to provide dated receipts for maintenance as requested.

Vendor gave me a new tank, minus the burner, for $75. Said it was the cost of shipping for it. I wasn't going to argue. Just had to give him the sticker off the side of the old tank. Gave me a new burner gasket as well. All hooked up and ready to go. Next step is to ground panel outside. Hopefully this one will last him a long, long time. Thanks guys for all your help. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Tho you found and cured a problem I'd still check it in case there's other electrical issues. There are ways to check for current flow in the plumbing and to the water directly. I don't know it well enough to instruct how to, but it's pretty simple and you should be able to look it up or maybe ask Carlos as he knows about nearly everything useful. And yes, even with an anode you can eat stuff up in a hurry with enough current flow. The anode helps, but can't fully compensate for a faulty system and I think it also depends on the direction of current flow as to how effective it'll be.