CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering head bearings

Chewtoy

Does any one have the bearing # for tapered steering head bearings? Would like to not buy 'all balls' bearings, and tried Jaws, but total cost was $76!

Would like to put some quality bearings in there, but need to avoid breaking the bank to do it.

Thanks,

• Upvote 1

I used all balls, because I had a new set hanging around, no problem with them per se, but don't get roller bearings they are a pain in the ass to torque down properly. If I had to do it again I'd go OEM. I tried to find an equivalent in SKF or another decent brand without going through Honda, but no luck.

• 1 month later...

I bought mine from a local bearing shop.

From a post on the other site by The Duck.

A year ago, in Oz Dollars, it cost me $140 for front & rear wheel bearings, rear sprocket carrier bearing & upper & lower steering head tapered roller bearings, using the numbers below at the local shop.

Front Wheel
Fully rubber sealed contact both sides.
Carb Left 6004 Right 6004
Injection Left 6204 Right 6204

Rear Wheel
Left 6304 Right 6304

Sprocket Carrier

Head Bearings
The top bearing used on the Blackbird (and many Hondas) is a non-standard size. It is marked ‘32005’, (this is an ISO standard bearing number) it has a 26mm I.D. rather than the 25mm I.D. you might expect. Note some bearing manufacturers call this bearing "32005/26", but some do not!

Head Bearings – Taper Rollers
32005 Top
32006 Bottom
Both types of steering stem bearings use separate metal/rubber dust seals; but the optional tapered roller 32006RS lower bearing incorporates a dust seal, so no separate seal is required - possibly of use if you have destroyed the seal and can't source another quickly! The RS here stands for Rubber Seal - so if you see a designation of 2RS you can correctly assume it has 2 rubber seals.

Head Bearings – Angular Contact Ball Bearings
32005 Top
32006 Bottom
The same number is used for both bearing types; just ask for roller or ball bearing.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine from a local bearing shop.

From a post on the other site by The Duck.

A year ago, in Oz Dollars, it cost me $140 for front & rear wheel bearings, rear sprocket carrier bearing & upper & lower steering head tapered roller bearings, using the numbers below at the local shop.

Front Wheel

Carb Left 6004 Right 6004

Injection Left 6204 Right 6204

Rear Wheel

Left 6304 Right 6304

Sprocket Carrier

Head Bearings

The top bearing used on the Blackbird (and many Hondas) is a non-standard size. It is marked ‘32005’, (this is an ISO standard bearing number) it has a 26mm I.D. rather than the 25mm I.D. you might expect. Note some bearing manufacturers call this bearing "32005/26", but some do not!

Head Bearings – Taper Rollers

32005 Top

32006 Bottom

Both types of steering stem bearings use separate metal/rubber dust seals; but the optional tapered roller 32006RS lower bearing incorporates a dust seal, so no separate seal is required - possibly of use if you have destroyed the seal and can't source another quickly! The RS here stands for Rubber Seal - so if you see a designation of 2RS you can correctly assume it has 2 rubber seals.

Head Bearings – Angular Contact Ball Bearings

32005 Top

32006 Bottom

The same number is used for both bearing types; just ask for roller or ball bearing.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the steering head bearings noted above are incorrect for the blackbird.

Correct sizes are as follows:

Upper bearing size is 26 inner 47 outer diameter (oddball, this may work: https://www.emmett-enterprises.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5228)

Lower bearing size is 30 inner 55 outer diameter (standard bearing)

• 4 weeks later...

Strange, when I typed in 32005/26, I got quite a few hits, but for some strange reason, all the companies are either in the UK, NZ, or Australia??!! North America has the 32005 but not the 26mm version.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, the steering head bearings noted above are incorrect for the blackbird.

Correct sizes are as follows:

Upper bearing size is 26 inner 47 outer diameter (oddball, this may work: https://www.emmett-enterprises.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5228)

Lower bearing size is 30 inner 55 outer diameter (standard bearing)

Odd. I just asked for the 32005 & got a set that fitted perfectly.

It does say, though: The top bearing used on the Blackbird (and many Hondas) is a non-standard size. It is marked ‘32005’, (this is an ISO standard bearing number) it has a 26mm I.D. rather than the 25mm I.D. you might expect.