CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Time

Chewtoy

After 28k miles, the DID standard O-Ring chain has stretched.

What's the current best value chain and vendor to order from?

Guess I need to get a rivet tool as well.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Got a DID Quadra and a Motion Pro chain breaker. Install went slick. Nice and quiet chain now. Ready for another 28+k miles!

How do you KNOW it's chain time ?

That's an open question to all members.

I'm curious if there is any difference in the testing and decision making processes.... here.

I've always followed the stretch limit practice, myself.

Hence why you should check your chain tension in various parts of the chain, by rolling your bike forwards or backwards.

I wonder though... would that eventually just even out? I don't know... to be honest I never really put this much thought into Chain Wear.

Chain Lube, Yes, Chain Wear... as for how to TEST for usable service life limits No.

• 4 weeks later...

Kinks in the chain indicate the wear for me...kinda strange since the bird is the only MC (that I remember) that's had the kinks appear. (I have ridden MC's since 1970...).

I am looking at the DID as mentioned above.

Kinks in the chain indicate the wear for me...kinda strange since the bird is the only MC (that I remember) that's had the kinks appear. (I have ridden MC's since 1970...).

I am looking at the DID as mentioned above.

How do Kinks indicate wear ?

To me, a Kink in the chain, where the chain wants to stay bent after going around the small front sprocket, means a Dirty chain, a Master Link that was tightened too much, or the use of a bad chain lubricant (causing the o-rings to swell too much).

But NOT wear.... wear is Loose... wear is Stretched... wear is rust coming from inside the link.

Personally... I lost track of when I took off my stock chain, but I'm thinking it was around 20K miles. At which point I changed it with the toughest chain I could find... an EK ZZZ chain. Which is still on there at 39K, and measures out to be only HALF worn....

So... yess the EK ZZZ cost a bit more, but it looks like it's going to last twice as long.

PS. my suggestion is... 75-90W Gear Lube only.

• 2 weeks later...