CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stripped threads for carb float bowl

Silverbird2

if you have enough meat around the hole, I would just drill it out and retap it for a larger screw if you already have a tap set handy.

now if you never tapped alum, let me just save you the pain and tell you now to get alum cutting oil for tap and die. otherwise the alum will ball up on the tap and you will hate yourself.

heli is nice but drill and tap with another screw works just fine. I might suggest taking some paint/fingernail polish or whatever and marking the new screw head and that ear on the carb to make sure you don't accidently try to sink the larger screw into one of the others.

75 - 80% kero and 20 -25% mineral oil mixed I have heard of by not straight kero.

you can try it and see though, but take your time to allow the tap to work while cutting alum.

The oem holes for the float were tapped, so the new hole if done correct will be just as good as the oem hole but just a size larger.

baby steps when tapping alum.. little in and back out, little in and back out over and over... very easy to strip the threads out if in a rush.

Got the Heli Coil kit but dont have any special tools for tapping or installing the Heli Coil. Most videos I've seen they are using a tap handle and a tool for inserting the Heli Coil. Maybe it is in the kit but I had it open to see if there was a drill bit (which there wasnt). I had to get the drill bit seperately. The package contained a tap, some kind of black tool and the inserts. I guess I will learn more when i get home.

Went great! Got it in no problem. Much easier than expected. Getting the hole drilled straight was the hardest part.

I stayed up till 2am Friday night putting her all back together and rode with two buddies at 7am Saturday morning. The new jet kit did wonders. Completely different bike.

Went great! Got it in no problem. Much easier than expected. Getting the hole drilled straight was the hardest part.

I stayed up till 2am Friday night putting her all back together and rode with two buddies at 7am Saturday morning. The new jet kit did wonders. Completely different bike.

glad it worked out for you, getting the hole lined up right is a problem for many people. just make a quick jig or use the force.

It was definately the force in this case.

The new jet kit did wonders. Completely different bike.

Takes that flat spot out, right?

Exactly! Pulled hard in every gear and every throttle position. Much quicker resoponse as well. Not to mention it made the bike run cooler.