CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike not starting...starter?

ag90fox

First off, thanks in advance for any insight y'all can give me...

I had let my XX sit for several months. I came back to it, replaced the battery, and when I hit the starter switch all I hear is a click and nothing else. I don't have a lot of background with XX mechanical work, and am wondering if that symptom sounds like the starter has bit the dust?. Or is there a more likely culprit?

If the starter, is it a DIY'able project? (is it accessible?)

Thanks!!

Joe

San Antonio

When you say "replaced the battery", do you mean a new battery, or one that's been on a tender? I can't stress enough Joe's battery comment. Don't start troubleshooting without a PERFECT battery. I've spent countless hours chasing demons that didn't exist - a fresh battery would have saved me a lot of time.

Also, if the battery and connections are eliminated as culprits, check the main fuse. There's a whole list of lesser-likely suspects, but we can burn that bridge when we get to it. :icon_evilgrin:

A quick way to eliminate the battery as the problem is to jump it to a car battery (engine off). If it starts up, it's the battery. If not, start troubleshooting the ignition system.

...loose connection or not enough charge on the battery.

I had that once in the parking lot at work. A friend had a wrench handy and tightened the bolt at the battery - it started right up.

I had about 100 miles on the bike since putting the battery in, after re-placing the battery in the spring.

Battery. Gomto a parts place and have it LOAD TESTED. Not just tested. It could have a short that only happens when a big losd is put on it. Electrics will work (mostly) but a big load shorts it. It will show charged except under a load.Have enough people told you,it is the battery so that you get the idea?Like Mike, I spent too many hours fucking around trying to find the answer to the same problem.

Thanks everyone. The bike battery is brand new. Yeah, it's a n'ever start, but it is brand new. I filled it, and charged it before installing. It read 12.7V after charging, in line with what the instructions called for.

I also hooked it up to my truck (not running), and tried to jump it. Even with that, it still just clicked. Next I'll swap the bike battery out with the battery of my VTX1300 (which starts fine), and test it that way.

I'm having a hard time believing it's just the battery given it's a brand new battery, and it didn't start with a jump from my truck, but will hold off on (kindly) pressing y'all for what other component the problem could be resulting from, until I test it with my VTX battery.

Thanks again,

Joe

After its known that you have a good battery and connections ------------

-Do you hear the fuel pump running? Cycle the kill switch a couple times to be sure you here it turning on. What does this have to do with the starter? Nothing, but it tells you that at least part of the bar switch is working.

-Check your fuses

-Check the main fuse by the solenoid...left side of the battery box.

-Cross the solenoid terminals momentarily and see if the starter spins. Be real sure its not in gear before trying this one.

Check the kickstand switch--

Good call.

And the clutch lever + neutral switch, just pull in the clutch and hit the starter.

I'm thinking along different lines here.

A little out of left field but, any chance the motor is hydro locked ?

Also, when you go to crank it, do all electrics go out while trying to crank?

Lastly, is the "clunk" a heavy sounding very metallic dealeo or more of a "click" sound? I'm wondering about the starter relay and then the starter solenoid.

I'm thinking along different lines here.

A little out of left field but, any chance the motor is hydro locked ?

Also, when you go to crank it, do all electrics go out while trying to crank?

Lastly, is the "clunk" a heavy sounding very metallic dealeo or more of a "click" sound? I'm wondering about the starter relay and then the starter solenoid.

This isn't that far from left field... if the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) has failed (ruptured diaphragm) fuel can flood the cylinders via the vent lines and cause hydrolocking. It's relatively rare, but nonetheless posible. Most folks discover FPR issues early on when individual cyclinders fire erratically or stop firing altogether and the bike runs progressively worse.

Check the kickstand switch--

Good call.

And the clutch lever + neutral switch, just pull in the clutch and hit the starter.

Wouldn't these yield nothing upon the actuation of the starter button, not even a click?

• 4 months later...

Hoping to get some fresh eyeballs on my XX woes:

To summarize first. I have a good battery (off my running vtx1300) in the XX, I jumped it to my idling truck. When all switches are engaged (kill, kickstand, clutch), the bike gives a big click and my truck's idle drops significantly. I let off the start button, my truck goes back to idling normally. (No drop in truck idle with kill or kickstand or clutch switches open).

I don't hear the fuel pump prime/run when turning the key to start (doesn't the fuel pump run for a second or two?)

I've checked the 30A fuse that sits at the back left of the battery area; its good; - I checked all the small 10/20A fuses in the box behind the battery. Not sure where other fuses might be.

Other stuff from above:

"clunk" or "click"? (starter relay)" - It's definitely a click. I'll search for info on the starter relay

"Cross the solenoid terminals momentarily and see if the starter spins" - need to try. Can someone point out where the solenoid is?

"Sell it.....you're fucked." - probably so, but I'm stubborn

• Upvote 1

There is a multi-page starter troubleshoot in the shop manual. Do you have the .pdf? There is a link to it somewhere on the board, or used to be. If I can pull that section out once I get to work, I will email it to you, probably as a scanned document.

When all switches are engaged (kill, kickstand, clutch), the bike gives a big click and my truck's idle drops significantly. I let off the start button, my truck goes back to idling normally. (No drop in truck idle with kill or kickstand or clutch switches open).

I don't hear the fuel pump prime/run when turning the key to start (doesn't the fuel pump run for a second or two?)

1. Your pump should prime for 2 seconds as soon as you turn power to ON. If it's not happening, that's part of your problem (circuit diagnosis-wise).

2. That your truck idle drops (I never recommend using a RUNNING vehicle for jumping a bike...a good car battery has more than enough CCA for jump starting a motorcycle), tells me you have a short to ground somewhere.

I suspect you are looking for a loose wire making contact with ground or a frayed/worn wire doing the same.

Here is a link to download the whole shop manual for a '99 XX.

https://app.box.com/s/y2f1pyzez39qln5zikjn

I can't edit or print the pages you need, but the diagrams are on pages 550 and 551. If you can print them, they will fit best on 11 x 17 paper.

Here is a link to download the whole shop manual for a '99 XX.

https://app.box.com/s/y2f1pyzez39qln5zikjn

I can't edit or print the pages you need, but the diagrams are on pages 550 and 551. If you can print them, they will fit best on 11 x 17 paper.

This.

If you put the bike in 4-5 gear can you try to bump start it? Will the motor turn over as if it wants to start?

What does your oil look/smell like?

I am just throwing ideas out here.

My starter solenoid just recently started intermittently acting up where it would take several trys to get it to start. It would click but not turn the motor over. I replaced the solenoid and all is well again.

The fact that your bike sat for several months untouched makes me think you may have a corrosion problem or the rings rusted to the cylinder. (Very far fetched but I have seen it happen)

If it was stored in a damp environment the moisture will wreak havoc on contacts and internal parts.

Good luck. I hope you can get her running soon.

If the motor is hydolocked, you will need to pull the spark plugs and try to turn over the motor to get the gas out. Put something over the holes, wear goggles. Bump the starter. Smell your oil first. Change if you can smell gas,,,,then your FPR,,,then pull the plugs and bump over,,easy.

This is what I think is wrong.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your truck idle drops down it means the starter is pulling a ton of AMP's and loading up the truck alternator, sounds like the bike starter is jammed or frozen, good point on last post try to bump start it and see if engine turns over and or if it will start.

Hoping to get some fresh eyeballs on my XX woes:

To summarize first. I have a good battery (off my running vtx1300) in the XX, I jumped it to my idling truck. When all switches are engaged (kill, kickstand, clutch), the bike gives a big click and my truck's idle drops significantly. I let off the start button, my truck goes back to idling normally. (No drop in truck idle with kill or kickstand or clutch switches open).

I've checked the 30A fuse that sits at the back left of the battery area; its good; - I checked all the small 10/20A fuses in the box behind the battery. Not sure where other fuses might be.

Other stuff from above:

"clunk" or "click"? (starter relay)" - It's definitely a click. I'll search for info on the starter relay

"Cross the solenoid terminals momentarily and see if the starter spins" - need to try. Can someone point out where the solenoid is?

"Sell it.....you're fucked." - probably so, but I'm stubborn

Just had the same issue with my '03. I cycled the kill switch a couple of times and next time I turned the key on, the fuel pump cycled and it started. Poor contact inside the kill switch.

If your truck idle drops down it means the starter is pulling a ton of AMP's and loading up the truck alternator, sounds like the bike starter is jammed or frozen, good point on last post try to bump start it and see if engine turns over and or if it will start.

Yes, and the piston not moving because of a slug of gas would have the same effect.

I started mine pretty easily gliding down a very slight hill if you want to try that. Check for gas in the cylinder and/or oil first as stated above.