CBR1100XX.org Forum

Current rate for roofing

XXitanium

Son #2 has an opportunity to shingle a garage.

What are roofers getting per square right now. I'd tell him to take a fraction of that.

It's for a friend. He will buy materials. I'm looking for labor rates.

...I suppose I could just swag at how many hours and give it a dollar per hour - price for the whole job.

TIA

Full tear off or second layer?

I'm going to recommend full tear off as the existing are curling up.

He's nervous - my kid.

He has shingled five roofs with a group during four years of construction tech in High School.

It's a two story structure with a 12/12 pitch and a shed roof on front and back.

I should make time and go help him.

Two story 12/12??? That will not be easy. Does he have safety ropes and tie offs?

No.

I was considering renting them.

Junior is 6'-6" and 300+ lbs.

I have never dealt with them on a roofing project myself, so there will be a learning curve.

A 2 story 12/12 isn't really a job for an amateur, IMO. You're gonna need equipment that most don't have laying around and even well equipped it's not something anyone can just do. Carrying an 80lbs. bundle of shingles up a two story ladder isn't a matter of strength, believe it or not. I've got a 5'6 135lbs guy that would make your monster of a kid look like a fool going up a ladder with a load. If the dormers are large enough and sloped shallow enough to load materials, I'd highly recommend going to a roof specific supplier and paying for a roof stock.

All that said and ignoring a lot of variables, I'd probably be around $300+/square total for that, materials, labor. permits, disposal. If I was going with an insured sub I'd expect to pay around $100-$110/square for all labor- tear off, clean up, install underlayment and shingles. Even at reduced "side job" rates (50-70%), it's good money if you're efficient. It'll be a shit paying freakin' nightmare if you're not.

... It'll be a shit paying freakin' nightmare if you're not.

....and, it's for a friend.

I like to keep the friendship.

...he runs the local home brew supply too.

This could get ugly.

Nothing wrong with saying it is beyond your comfort level. You want to keep the friendship and would like to see your friend get a job well done. Perhaps a pro is better suited.

• 10 years later...

We had the roof shingled in 2019. Finally. Now a couple months ago we had hail damage and her contractor and the insurance company both recommended a complete re-roof. I had talked to Tim back then and we got a 35 years shingle but it wasn't hail rated. We're spending a couple extra thousand this time and getting hail resistant. That cost will be on top of the insurance check. They're starting to tear off on one side of the house today.

Our house is a solar envelope type construction. The front has a 12 ft wide sunroom that's for solar absorption. My wife had them put ice dam media up past 12 ft to avoid ice dams in the spring. I'm thinking that's probably going to be a bitch to try to take back off put on the new stuff.

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

We had the roof shingled in 2019. Finally. Now a couple months ago we had hail damage and her contractor and the insurance company both recommended a complete re-roof. I had talked to Tim back then and we got a 35 years shingle but it wasn't hail rated. We're spending a couple extra thousand this time and getting hail resistant. That cost will be on top of the insurance check. They're starting to tear off on one side of the house today.

My son has a construction business and he tells me all the time about the astronomical price increases of cost to him that have to be passed on to even make a profit.