CBR1100XX.org Forum

< 1137 cc

wr0ngway

:icon_sad: DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE MOTHER FUCKING CYLINDER HEAD OFF TO CLEAN OLD OIL OUT OF THE VALVES TO GET MY LAWN MOWER TO START?? BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE LEFT TO TAKE APART, CLEAN AND PUT BACK TOGETHER. I MEAN THE GODDAMN THING ONLY HAS 2 MOVING PARTS TO BEGIN WITH???

i might have turned in on its exhaust side to replace the blade. BUT I REPENTED!!!

thats all. :icon_confused:

5 or 6 HP Yard Man, b&s, model something or other. none of the kitchen and garden forums have any useful information.

no, verify compression, verify spark, verify fuel, verify timing, only thing left is clean spark plug

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow -- if one of those isn't working properly, it won't run.

One easy test is to grab a can of starting fluid and open up the carb, give it a little squirt, try to start it. If it runs on the ether, it is a fuel problem.

If not, check spark. And to do that, you remove the plug from the head, plug it into the spark plug wire, ground the end of the tip to the motor (you can usually just lay it there), turn it over. If you see blue spark, it ain't spark.

Then it gets a little trickier.

Hope the $.02 helps.

OK, thanks very much for your responses!

still not running, but i've had the whole thing apart, and back together now (including the cylinder head). based on above suggestions and observations i believe its the fuel jets. have been using wd40 instead of carb cleaner or ether in every hole possible :icon_eek: . i'm pretty sure that when i turned it on its side the old oil got in and gunked up the carb jets 'cause i don't see any other possibilities, and even though i had the carb off to check the float, the jets are the only thing i haven't cleaned.

...so for a $140 tune up (in April), you would think they would have changed the oil, no? or wiped some of the grime off of any of the parts? idiots, didn't even break down the handle so it would fit in the car when my mom picked it up, made her drive home with the hatch open, idiots! i dont' care if it takes me all summer, i'm not takin' my machine back there, and anyway its kind of fun to work on, so simple (...but too many fer me thus far :icon_confused: ).

you know, if i ran a mechanic shop, i would tell my guys to take 10 minutes to wipe off the muck. jeezus, how hard is that? and customers are gonna appreciate it, hell charge em'm an extra $20 bucks, nobody's gonna complain about that!

My WAG is that you need to drain the fuel and throw it all away and go buy fresh gas. If you did just buy fresh gas then make sure you dont have old soured stuff in the tank. I had to dump all my gas from last year. Typically it lasts thru the winter no problem. Not this year. It was soured and none of my stuff would start. Fucking ethanol.

Also stop spraying wd40 in the carb. Carb cleaner is the goods.

Was it running up to the point where you turned it on its side?

Does your mower have a primer bulb or is it an "auto-choke" model?

Did you replace that soft head gasket or try to make do?

Does the pull rope snap out of your hand while attempting to start it?

Did the ether trick work?