CBR1100XX.org Forum

rear balancer shaft o ring replacement

Dano

2002 Bird 40K miles.. Seems that I have an oil leak on the rear balancer shaft. (left side bike) Sort of inboard from starter motor..

What is the procedure to replace this oring?

Remove radiators hoses to make room, loosen holder bolt .... then will the shaft pull out a bit to get to O ring. ? Searched a bit but not sure I'm clear on the process.

thanx

dan

2002 Bird 40K miles.. Seems that I have an oil leak on the rear balancer shaft. (left side bike) Sort of inboard from starter motor..

Remove radiators hoses to make room, loosen holder bolt .... then will the shaft pull out a bit to get to O ring. ? Searched a bit but not sure I'm clear on the process.

thanx

dan

You have to crack apart the engine case to replace it.

It's not worth the time and effort.

Keep a piece of cardboard under the bike to catch the small drops of oil that fall after a ride

and make sure that you keep oil in the bike(though the loss of oil is minimal).

The rear lobe of the shaft isn't small enough to remove from the engine casing so you can pull the

shaft out to the last lobe and it will not go any farther

Thank you for the reply, I had stopped by the local Honda shop yesterday with micro fiche print out and shop manual in hand. When I asked how to replace the o ring, Their "motor guy" said "wow, can't advise about that, kinda hard to figure out those drawings, don't really know how it goes together. "

I guess that is the reason in 11 years I've never had them work on my bike. When I asked if, I had them fix the leak what would they do if the they don't know how it comes apart, he said " I guess we'd just start taking it apart till we get there." Amazing....

I'll do as you say, leave it a lone as it's not a big deal and not worth the effort. I'll just stuff some oil adsorbent matting in there and change it out once in awhile. It is really just a slight weeping leak, but it does bug me....

cheers

dan

thanx

dan

You have to crack apart the engine case to replace it.

It's not worth the time and effort.

Keep a piece of cardboard under the bike to catch the small drops of oil that fall after a ride

and make sure that you keep oil in the bike(though the loss of oil is minimal).

The rear lobe of the shaft isn't small enough to remove from the engine casing so you can pull the

shaft out to the last lobe and it will not go any farther

• 7 years later...
On 5/15/2013 at 10:38 PM, Dano said:

Thank you for the reply, I had stopped by the local Honda shop yesterday with micro fiche print out and shop manual in hand. When I asked how to replace the o ring, Their "motor guy" said "wow, can't advise about that, kinda hard to figure out those drawings, don't really know how it goes together. "

I guess that is the reason in 11 years I've never had them work on my bike. When I asked if, I had them fix the leak what would they do if the they don't know how it comes apart, he said " I guess we'd just start taking it apart till we get there." Amazing....

I'll do as you say, leave it a lone as it's not a big deal and not worth the effort. I'll just stuff some oil adsorbent matting in there and change it out once in awhile. It is really just a slight weeping leak, but it does bug me....

cheers

dan

Ā 

How you solved the problem...

I have the same problem...

ThanksĀ 

On 5/15/2013 at 6:17 AM, Fiona said:

And put a Harley sticker on it.