CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best way to improve 12v connection?

Zero Knievel

My video recorder kept cutting off during the last trip.

When I got home, I turned it on, set it to record, and walked away. Hours later, it was still working...likely eliminating any internal fault with the system.

So, I contacted the maker, and they suggested maybe the drop in volts at start up caused it to shut off. I doubt that as I've never seen it happen, but I did need to check the power connections to ensure nothing was damaged.

We're talking about a 12v power point plug going into a 12v socket direct wired to the bike. The fit is rather snug. It's not like the plug is popping out or loose. Indeed, I can't see how it's able to happen in such limited space, BUT when I tried to move the socket to check the wires, the unit turned off.

It took some playing to reproduce the problem. If the plug is in as far as it can go, I can do all I can to wiggle it, but nothing happens. If I manage to pull it out very little, when I wiggle it SOMETIMES I guess I get the center prong off the connection just enough to break the circuit for a moment. The power will still be there afterwards, but it makes the system turn off.

I'm thinking of what I can do to make the connection more secure so vibration doesn't cause this to happen again in the future. I do plan to ask the maker if they have a "hard wire" power connection available. I have connectors I could fashion so that I unplug the 12v socket and plug the new wire into the pigtail coming from the battery.

Obviously, the direct wire will be the least problematic. With it, you might find the connector wasn't the problem, and there is something else causing the issue.

Your connector, it's a cigarette plug, right? I've seen an o-ring used to keep them together under tension, it involves twisting the o-ring around the cords of either connector. I would be unable to describe it, I'd have to take a picture.

the two pole SAE is definitely the way to go. I have them on all my powered equipment except the lawnmower and that is getting one this year.

Hey, it's Montana, it sometimes snows in August, heated gear on the mower, yup.

Make sure that the video recorder is actually 12 volts and not being stepped down by the cigarette adapter to a lower voltage..

if it is you should be able to snip off the end and just solder or butt connect the wires together at the other side...But if you do this you need to be careful not to reverse the wires cuz it will smoke the camera..

If you look at the end that plugs into the camera and it is round with a pin in the center, the pin is the power, the outside shell of the barrel is the ground...You need to verify it through a continuity tester or multimeter to be sure you have it right.

Good luck, and for the hell of it you may want to double check where you tapped for power originally and make sure that isn't the problem too.

Make sure that the video recorder is actually 12 volts and not being stepped down by the cigarette adapter to a lower voltage..

if it is you should be able to snip off the end and just solder or butt connect the wires together at the other side...But if you do this you need to be careful not to reverse the wires cuz it will smoke the camera..

If you look at the end that plugs into the camera and it is round with a pin in the center, the pin is the power, the outside shell of the barrel is the ground...You need to verify it through a continuity tester or multimeter to be sure you have it right.

Good luck, and for the hell of it you may want to double check where you tapped for power originally and make sure that isn't the problem too.

The 12v comes right off the battery via a FuzeBlock. I'm looking to make the plug fit tighter. I don't know what gauge the wires in the plug are, and don't want to start hacking on that to find I have POS flimsy wire to work with. Otherwise, I do have modular connectors I could fit onto it and plug directly to the power feed (12v socket is removable). If the plug fits tighter, it won't move at all or come loose without deliberate force applied. It'd be easier to leave it on the 12v socket since my emergency air pump uses it as well, and it would be more of a pain to swap out connections to use other gear if needed.

The only other thing i could suggest is a little trick ive used to hold the cig socket adapters together is get 3 zip ties and tie 2 small loops on the outsides of each plug and then use a long one to zip the 2 ends together tight..it works better than tape which will loosen after time.

I just used electrical tape to thicken the plug. Try to make it fit, peel off a layer, try to make it fit. Got it right almost on the first try. It fits TIGHT with no wiggle. I'll test it when I get a chance...might be all I need. I did notice the end of the plug (where the fuse goes) was a little loose, so I tightened it...just in case.

or change it with a better higher quality plug instead of half assing it with electrical tape.

The plug is as good as they come. This issue is somewhat recent...not since day one. I could go with a direct connection using a modular connector, but then I'd have to switch out the connection whenever I need a 12v socket for other items. Since I could only reproduce the problem by wiggling the plug (it goes in deep, so the part that has the tension is at the base of the socket...leaving free play near the top), my first idea was to eliminate the ability of the plug to wiggle.

I like to try the simple fix first before doing more involved work. I have the means to do more if I have to, but I don't use the system all the time, so I'd like to avoid unnecessary work in fixing it.