CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator cover, do I really need the OEM gasket?

Redbird

Finally replacing my stator in preparation for getting operation rat tourer up and running. Old stator out, mating surfaces sparkly clean, no gasket on hand. Anyone ever say fuck it and just throw some Hondabond or similar on there and go?

autozone , etc sells gasket sheets although I would imagine cutting out one without sumthing like exacto knife would be pita .

I'd source a gasket before I bothered cutting one out by hand.

I'm on a roll here and was hoping to get someone to validate my questionable choice to just skip the gasket altogether so I could button this thing up tonight. :icon_wink:

Its not that hard. But hey, try the hondabond. Worse case is it doesn't work, and you have to take those 10 or so bolts out again. :icon_biggrin:

10 or so bolts and take some Simple Green to my left boot, LOL.

Fuck it, I'm going to take my chances. I'll just be sure to wear old boots on the first couple rides.

It's one of those things you gotta have in advance, but I think very little oil goes into that part of the motor. When I opened it to replace my stator, there was hardly any oil at all. The "make a gasket" stuff won't be a neat, but it'll do.

Oil pan doesn't have a gasket, just black RTV. I'm pretty sure you'd be OK with it, although if it were mine, I'd order the gasket and do it right once it came in.

I'll send you a pdf scan of a stator gasket for the 2001 bird and you can '3D' print your own, or trace & slice your choice of material. just gotta get my scanner to cooperate, #%##@@!

i had an oil leak which i decided was the stator cover, which is how i happen to have the gasket.

does this seem plausible, a slow leak from the stator? i couldn't find any other source. the leak dripped just left of the rear on two 150 mile rides. i always do a pre-ride inspection, chain pressure, tire tension, etc.. after one ride i found a drip, apparently from the oil filter, recently changed. then after the another ride, the oil level was quite low and there was spray on the swing arm, the fairing insulation was soaked. :icon_rolleyes:, fortunately the mess trailed clear of the rear, or i would have been 'backsliding' :icon_sick: :icon_shifty:

db

i had an oil leak which i decided was the stator cover, which is how i happen to have the gasket.

does this seem plausible, a slow leak from the stator? i couldn't find any other source. the leak dripped just left of the rear on two 150 mile rides. i always do a pre-ride inspection, chain pressure, tire tension, etc.. after one ride i found a drip, apparently from the oil filter, recently changed. then after the another ride, the oil level was quite low and there was spray on the swing arm, the fairing insulation was soaked. :icon_rolleyes:, fortunately the mess trailed clear of the rear, or i would have been 'backsliding' :icon_sick: :icon_shifty:

I seriously doubt the stator cover could leak enough to bring the oil level down in that short of time. Check the filter for the dreaded "double gasket". I did that once and got exactly those results, though it happened in a lot less than 300 miles.

ok, here ya' go. btw, is your 'rat tourer' the '01 bird??

i couldn't remember if you are left or right handed so i scanned both sides.

The '01 went over the side of a northern California mountain in '06. This is an '02 generously donated by another board member to bring me back in the fold. Last I heard the '01 was being converted for land speed runs out in southern CA.

Thanks for the scan, but I've ordered an OEM gasket. If it leaks, I'll put it in, but it'll be a while before I know. That scan is a handy thing to have around-I think I'll post it in the useful threads section, with credit to you, of course.

BTW, where the hell you been? Nice to see you posting again. (:

I seriously doubt the stator cover could leak enough to bring the oil level down in that short of time. Check the filter for the dreaded "double gasket". I did that once and got exactly those results, though it happened in a lot less than 300 miles.

well, maybe i exaggerated a little on the pre-ride inspection, :icon_biggrin: , it may have been more than 300 miles... but thx, i'm changing the oil and filter now so i'll watch out for the double gasket, thats a new one to me.

The '01 went over the side of a northern California mountain in '06.

:icon_eek: WOAH, Tim, please stick to jumping off roofs! i will look up that discussion...wow, glad you're all right...sheesh...damn!

This is an '02 generously donated by another board member to bring me back in the fold. Last I heard the '01 was being converted for land speed runs out in southern CA.

incredible, fantastic! maybe i shouldn't be surprised considering the quality of people around here.

BTW, where the hell you been? Nice to see you posting again. (:

well, i've had some ups and downs too, staying busy, loving life, i'll tell ya' some time.

thanks, glad you're here!

Quote:

The '01 went over the side of a northern California mountain in '06. This is an '02 generously donated by another board member to bring me back in the fold. Last I heard the '01 was being converted for land speed runs out in southern CA.

I relive that day every day, you are still on my screen saver looking like WTF.Good times,well for most of us :icon_biggrin:

I relive that day every day, you are still on my screen saver looking like WTF.Good times,well for most of us :icon_biggrin:

At the end of it all, it ain't a bad memory for me. :icon_biggrin:

I'd be interested in seeing the pic you're talking about if it's not too much trouble.

That sight of you auto rotating off the road, or the smiley face burn outs in the parking lot.. both memorable.. :)

At the end of it all, it ain't a bad memory for me. :icon_biggrin:

I'd be interested in seeing the pic you're talking about if it's not too much trouble.

• 2 months later...

The new oem stator just arrived for my 99 cbr1100 and im just wondering if it has a protective coating on it that needs to be cleaned off before i install it or if i just fit it straight out of the wrapper

The new oem stator just arrived for my 99 cbr1100 and im just wondering if it has a protective coating on it that needs to be cleaned off before i install it or if i just fit it straight out of the wrapper

I just installed mine out of the wrapper.