CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon Tires

XXitanium

I have had a couple sets on the Hurrican'

I need something to replace the banana skin on the back for sure. I'm thinking "do them both" for ease/safety.

I took a look at JC Whitney, maybe there's a better place to buy like my local mechanic?

Anyway, Here are the ones listed. I don't put on that many miles. I occasionally break the back tire loose. 'm mostly highway, but I enjoy spirited twisties, no knee dragging.

From your experience, what would be the best sticky-to-wear resistance "tyre"?

1. http://www.jcwhitney.com/avon-universal-av...7199_4294858161

2. http://www.jcwhitney.com/avon-universal-vp...7199_4294858161

3. http://www.jcwhitney.com/avon-universal-vp...7199_4294858161

The current set was well-along when I picked up the bike. I have never ridden on a new Michelin Pilot Road, so I can't compare.

Any input?

Bonus - anyone with experience on both?

I ran Avon Venoms on my cruiser back when I had it and they wore and rode just fine but since it was a cruiser I can't attest to the stickiness as I couldn't lean it very far without dragging a peg. That said I put a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's on my FJR before my California trip and they were awesome! Very sticky in the twisties and excellent in the rain (and even saved my ass in the snow). They run very smoothly and there was no noticeable wear after the first 3000 miles I put on them. The tread patterns on the PR 3's are quite unique and also very different between the front and the back tire. Plus they have that whole 2 compound thing where the sides are softer than the middle.

I ran a PR 2 on the rear of the Blackbird when I had it and it was much better than the whatever I replaced but can't remember whether it was Bridgestone or Dunlop.

Anywhooo...I'm sold on the PR3's so that would be my choice. Ask Icepick about the driveway to my hotel in TN. It was practically vertical, wet and slicker than shit. His tire on the KTM broke loose on his way up but mine didn't. PR3's are very sticky.

use to run the Avon ST and SP tires.

ST's are sport touring models 45/46

SP's sport models 49/50

last ST I got lasted 500 miles and smoked it in the mountains. Turned pretty shades of blue and purple :icon_whistle: last time I ran them.

SP's werent bad, but only got 3500 miles out of them which was also about the same as the ST's. Also recieved a bad front that was a pain to have replaced by Avon.

switched and never looked back, tried M3's and hated them, heard and read positive reviews by they just slid around too much, and were unpredictable.

on my 4th set of BT-016 pros and love them, can push them and still get 4000 miles to 4500 miles out of a set.

I had a set of Avon AV45/AV46 that lasted for over 10,000 miles. They were also incredible rain tires. Sadly, they're no longer available.

I had a set of Avon AV55/AV56 Storms that I removed at 8,000 miles when I picked up a screw in the rear tire. I put on a set of Pirelli Angels that I'd taken off my FJR1300 a few years ago (when I installed Pilot Road 3's on that bike)

I bought a set of Pilot Road 3s but hadn't mounted them until yesterday.

My experience with two sets or Pilot Road 3's on my FJR1300 is that I can easily get 15,000+ miles.

Over the years, I've had 2 sets of Bridgestones, Metzeler, 3 sets of Michelin Pilot Roads, 2 sets of Avons, Pirelli Angel ST and my absolute favorite was the discontinued Avon AV45/AV46 combination but I think that the Michelin Pilot Road 3 will work very well on the Blackbird.

I had a couple of sets of Avons. I think the first set may have been 35/36's. I had a set of 45/46's and liked them until I came home from a "spirited" ride on my old XX and found the tread split and coming apart. You might be able to do a search and find the pics. It scared the shit out of me and I swore off of Avons after that.

I exclusively ran Avon Venoms on my Valkyrie. I have a set of Storms on my Bird-That-Sucks, but I won't have another set. I had Pirelli Diablos before those. I'm going to go with Michelin Pilot Road IIIs next. I'm actually not sure what's on the TurboBird -- I still have whatever came on the brand-new take-off ZX14 rims.

• 2 weeks later...

guess it depends on what you use the bike for. Spirited, commuting, both,

I enjoy spirited runs mostly. I have never gotten over 6k miles out of any set of tires. I am far from a fast rider, just enjoy slinging the bike back and forth, and the occasional triple digit blast. After my little 500 mile 1 day trip to the mountains and killing a set of ST Avons I said screw tire life, I ride to have fun, while I don't need super duper track only tires, I am getting shitty mileage no matter what I decided to go with. Might as well get a tire for what I intended to use it for. I run 40psi front and back and I am pleased with 4k miles, and happy as a puppy with 2 dicks when I get 4.5k miles.

I ordered the Avon Storms.

Now I came back to read this thread. Now I'm having second thoughts. Should have ordered the Pilot Road III's?

i.e. I'm the customer from heck.

I have Storms on all 3 XX's, Busa, and my new ZX14R will very soon have a set. Been thru around 10 sets, and getting about 9-10K miles out the rear and change the front at that time also. I live in Kansas(not many curves) but do make it to Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma on a lot of weekends. They wear well (very little cupping on fronts) and have never done anything to make me uncomfortable.

All my riding is commuting and sport touring so and I haven't had a reason to try anything different yet, but have been thinking about trying a set of PR 2's.

Buy front and rear and you may get some cash back .

http://www.avonmoto.com/

Yeah, I saw that in Cycle World.

Thanks for the tip though.

I know some people would go the whole 105 yards and mount and balance the "tyres" themselves. Would it be really odd to ride it to the dealer and take the wheels off to have them mounted?

I might take a random day off Friday.

I'm going south for work for two weeks - my manager said I should get some R&R - traveling Sat~Sun.

• 3 months later...

First real ride.

Circumnavigated Lake Superior. I'm very happy.

I got a mild flat spot started in about 1,600 miles. The roads generally lent themselves to even wear I'd say. I got to lean in the corners a lot.

Can't comment on rain performance. It was dry and 75 degrees most of the time.

They make a cool deep thunking sound when they're kicking gravel out of road topping in construction zones BTW.