CBR1100XX.org Forum

LSL Handlebar installation

CALCXX

I'm installing the LSL bars on my #2 XX.

The brake line will be easy to extend/replace.

The clutch line will be the challenge.

I'm thinking it needs to be about (4) inches longer.

Any of you installed the LSL bars?

What did you do about the clutch line?

Did you have one made? New hose the entire length?

Re-bend the hard line near the front?

Is it possible to have the rubber portion up front extended on the hard line?

I've had these Z3 bars on my #1 XX for a decade. I re-bent the clutch line

and it worked, The LSL bars are wider than the Z3. I have my doubts.

Felt the need to ask the collective.

Image003-1.jpg

And FWIW, I think It'd be worth it to just buy two lines that are a few inches longer. Next time I need lines on a bike, I'll ask for the lines to the handlebars to be a few inches longer so I don't fight with them if I later want to raise or reposition the grips.

If you need a longer line, you can unscrew the rubber top hose from the hard line and send it to Mesa Hose (670 W 17th St Costa Mesa, CA 92627 ‎(949) 645-2661 (949) 645-2640) with instructions to make a new one in rubber or braided SS 4" longer.

LMK if you want me to shepherd this. Perhaps we can get a few sets made if others are interested.

If you need a longer line, you can unscrew the rubber top hose from the hard line and send it to Mesa Hose (670 W 17th St Costa Mesa, CA 92627 ‎(949) 645-2661 (949) 645-2640) with instructions to make a new one in rubber or braided SS 4" longer.

LMK if you want me to shepherd this. Perhaps we can get a few sets made if others are interested.

I didn't know the clutch hose could be unscrewed from the hard line.

It is crimped on there. Are you sure?

Thanks for the info. I will call them.

edit: I just talked to Brooks @ Mesa hose in Ca.

He said they would cut the hard line, weld a fitting and extend the hose with banjo fitting for $45.

Doesn't unscrew. No "do it yourself kit".

The CLUTCH line?

IIRC, my aftermarket kit came with a long line to completely bypass the hard line. I had to zip tie a part of it behind the frame, but it worked fine. Bolts on at both ends.

I didn't know the clutch hose could be unscrewed from the hard line.

It is crimped on there. Are you sure?

Thanks for the info. I will call them.

edit: I just talked to Brooks @ Mesa hose in Ca.

He said they would cut the hard line, weld a fitting and extend the hose with banjo fitting for $45.

Hmmm, have not had a chance to really look @ mine. Odd that it would be part of the hard line. Will take a peek tonight. Apologies for my error. It sure LOOKS like it would unscrew. The fiche on the Service Honda site shows it as one line, though. Yuck!

Hmmm, have not had a chance to really look @ mine. Odd that it would be part of the hard line. Will take a peek tonight. Apologies for my error. It sure LOOKS like it would unscrew. The fiche on the Service Honda site shows it as one line, though. Yuck!

I'd have to dig out my old lines (I saved them). I think the clutch line is a hard line with flexible ends. If you want a braided stainless line, they just send you one big flexible line. The whole clutch line WILL come off the bike.

Looked @ the bike this AM and sadly, the clutch line does not have screw-on ends. Boo Honda!

So, it looks like there are a couple of options here.

1: get a SS line made and replace the hard pipe.

2: Buy or borrow Zero's spare clutch line, send it to Mesa Hose and have removable SS lines put on both ends - with a 4" extension on the top. Replace your current line and give it to Zero if you 'borrowed' his line.

I prefer reusing the hard pipe. SS lines do get old - I just replaced one on the track car. Alternatively, you can ask Mesa about their Teflon lines, which last better, supposedly are more heat resistant, but cost more. Those look like SS braided lines, but are black. The fittings ffor these lines are more expensive as well.

I'm upgrading the fuel lines on the track car to the teflon lines. Got very lucky when I discovered a leaking SS line that could have led to a car-b-que.

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to keep my hard line.

I called a local Industrial hose supply and they said that they have two guys with DOT certificates.

They will cut and weld the hard line.

They also build SS brake line hoses in choice of colors.

I installed the Beetle Bags and changed all the fairings first.

Should have installed the LSL bars first. DOH!

Thanks again.

Cal

Thanks for the feedback.

I called a local Industrial hose supply and they said that they have two guys with DOT certificates.

They will cut and weld the hard line.

They also build SS brake line hoses in choice of colors.

I installed the Beetle Bags and changed all the fairings first.

Should have installed the LSL bars first. DOH!

Thanks again.

Cal

Sounds good, Local is always better.

Think of your installing the fairings and bags as a test fit...

Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, on the CLUTCH, you don't lose anything by not having a hard line. IMHO, Honda used the hard line to make it easier to route to the clutch rather than use a thick standard hydraulic hose. The braided lines are much thinner and aren't a problem by comparison.