CBR1100XX.org Forum

cutting 3/16" aluminum plate

The Krypt Keeper

want to cut out some parts and brackets.

whats the best way to cut aluminum that doesn't require me to hit the grinder for an hour to clean things up.

father in law has a plasma cutter he uses for his welding business, yet he is also never around for me to use his fun cool tools.

I take it out of his daughter though :icon_evilgrin:

Gringer with a cut off wheel. Or a bansaw. Jigsaw either way you will need to clean it up with a sanding disc on the grinder. Unless you have a waterjet machine.... :icon_think:

want to cut out some parts and brackets.

whats the best way to cut aluminum that doesn't require me to hit the grinder for an hour to clean things up.

father in law has a plasma cutter he uses for his welding business, yet he is also never around for me to use his fun cool tools.

I take it out of his daughter though :icon_evilgrin:

Go to a hobby store and get some modeling clay and quick-set epoxy. Borrow father-in-law's keys, note the key manufacturer and key code, make an impression (both sides in case you can't get a key code), pour them full of the epoxy. When they dry, go to Home Depot and pick up a couple of correct blanks and a file. Make yourself a key to his shop, and never have to file anything by hand again. Fully stocking the beer fridge each time you visit may help reduce interruptions by the local constabulary.

Table saw with a carbide blade. It will make lots of noise, but cuts cleanly.

This is how I do it for straight cuts. The old Black & Decker Piranha blades with the curved carbide teeth do a great job. Just go real slow and damn sure where safety glasses.

hmmm icepick has a great idea except having to go to his house and put up with his g/f and family.

no table saw, remember doing that in the past when I worked at a boat building shop. Noisy as shit and instant glitter.

got a hack saw, had a scroll saw however I left it at my parents house in their shed.. now that I think about it.. after the tornado hit 2 yrs ago it hasn't been seen since not to mention all the walls and half the shit in the shed.. :icon_confused:

think I will call my father in law and make an apointment at his house. Believe he might have a plasma cutter set up for cutting aluminum. After making some measurements and marking them down on the plate to be cut this would be the best way.

making a headlight bracket, chain guard brackets and possibly some turn signal brackets.. hmmm might be a cool time to learn how to TIG weld also..

thanks guys for the help, think I will just wait and see about doing it the proper way. The final pieces will show it in quality.

Go to the aluminum supplier and ask them to cut it in their giant brake.

"Ker-chuum.............here." :icon_dance:

And when they're done laughing at you they may help you. Brakes make bends, not cuts.

Giant shear?

And when they're done laughing at you they may help you. Brakes make bends, not cuts.

Shear.

Thanks, I know when I'm at the door of despair, you'll be there to push me through. :icon_doh:

A band saw will work nicely. But it will leave lines on the cuts.

If you choose to go the table saw route, just make damn sure you don't get it caught and have metal flung back at you at 1000 fps. Personally, i wouldn't do that. To many hard learned lessons.

A band saw will work nicely. But it will leave lines on the cuts.

If you choose to go the table saw route, just make damn sure you don't get it caught and have metal flung back at you at 1000 fps. Personally, i wouldn't do that. To many hard learned lessons.

I probably wouldn't do it either, if my table saw had any more power than your average bench grinder. It's an old, old belt-drive 8" Craftsmen. Maybe 1/2 or 3/4 HP. Dulling blades get pitched pretty quick.

My 2 cents...

When building the aluminum sheet metal parts for the aircraft builds, we use a mid-sized router with a 1/4" carbide bit. If you take the time to fashion a shroud and hook up a shop vac there is almost no mess at all. Use cutting oil designed for aluminum.

Measure from the outside edge of the bit to the edge of the router base. Then use double-back-tape to hold down a strait strip of 1"x 1/4" aluminum bar as a guide.

Sure makes life easier for me.

Good luck and let us know which method works best for you.

Disclaimer: Use this advise at you own risk. Safety Glasses recommend and sober up before trying this.