CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody into climbing?

eliXXir

I took my 10 year old and went today for the first time in many years and it wore me out, in a good way. I want to try it outdoors now with setting anchors and everything. It is frustrating that I got out-climbed so easily by my little one. We even raced up one side by side and I lost grip and fell while she was a couple of feet ahead of me.

I don't remember ever looking at the difficulty/rating system before, but holy crap there is a big difference between a 5.9 and a 5.10.

Did that for the kids' birthday party a couple times. You're right, it's a great workout and some of the kids can make you look stupid without trying.

I don't think I have the stones to do it in "real life".

I don't think I have the stones to do it in "real life".
I don't think I'll be headed to Devil's Tower anytime soon, but it would make for a good camping trip to go get taught how to set the hooks, etc., and climb some mellow climbs.. Think 2-3 times higher than the walls at Vertical Endeavors and a 5.6 or 5.7 difficulty. You wouldn't be up for that?

I don't think I'll be headed to Devil's Tower anytime soon, but it would make for a good camping trip to go get taught how to set the hooks, etc., and climb some mellow climbs.. Think 2-3 times higher than the walls at Vertical Endeavors and a 5.6 or 5.7 difficulty. You wouldn't be up for that?

Yep, experienced instruction present would make me a more likely candidate, so I might be up for that, theoretically. I've done a bit of repelling in the distant past and in the process learned I trust ropes a lot less than ladders, even if some of the ladders I've been on were beyond sketchy. It's an experience/comfort level thing, regardless of the actual realities.

Be sure and update if you pursue this, though. It's not like I have time for another hobby, but it sounds interesting enough for me to want updates.

I've also seen you perform a Mary Poppins-esque landing using a tree branch as your umbrella!! :icon_biggrin:

It looks like VE has a class they're about to schedule at Devil's Lake, WI. Not far away, tenting sites available, and a path from the bottom of the climb to the top. (I don't like repelling, fear of heights and all, I prefer not to look down if possible.) You head to the Warrenville location for a couple of hours of class on the Tuesday before your weekend of climbing so that you do all the classroom stuff inside. :icon_think: Might just do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Climbing will make you realize just how out of shape you are. I spent 6 yrs in my mid 20s/ early 30's climbing a lot. Some weeks it was 3-4 days/eveings a week. Free climb some easier walls 5/7-8s up to 40-50' and on belay on anything bigger, with my biggest wall at 160'. A 5/9-10 will get your heart pumping if it's very tall at all and you better be in damn good shape! :icon_biggrin:

• 5 months later...

Update:

I managed to climb a 5.10c in a couple-hour belay practice session. This gets easier as I get closer to my target weight and stay active.

My daughter and I did the Devil's Lake trip and had limited success. Both of us were overcome with a fear of heights in that big open valley being 1500' up. We spent about 6 hours (92 degrees and humid dammit!) being taught how to build a safe top anchor and that was a great time for us. It's amazing how many fail safe features you have to build into what ends up looking like a simple set up: post-25-0-21289900-1378689322_thumb.jpg

But when it came time to stand on the edge and set up for the climb, it was too much. The 20 minute bouldering up to the top was challenging enough. Their definition of "advanced hiking trail" doesn't quite capture it. Here's a picture I took as we neared the climbing site: post-25-0-21076600-1378689405_thumb.jpg

I would need to drop some coin on some gear to do more...friggen rope is expensive! I guess it pays for itself eventually by not having to pay to climb indoors. I'm still undecided how far I want to go with this sport but it made for a great father/daughter adventure!

• Upvote 1