CBR1100XX.org Forum

Helpfull clothes dryer cautionary tale

RXX

We have an LG Tromm electric dryer, about a decade old. I had been noticing a "kerthunk, kerthunk" lately and assumed it was just the load of clothes, or the dryer balls that wifey uses.Lst week Imhad to replace the lint filter housing assembly and after R&R cut it on and heard the noise with no load. Not good, I thought, so I proceeded to do what I do best (think bizarro best) and started tearing it apart. I quickly found the stainless steel drum was split in a "T" pattern in the rear.Well fuck me, it's new dryer time. I figured the drum is one of those $500 parts you always hear about. I went online and found a replacement was only $112! So I ordered it (6.95 s/h) and received it the next day. I was very excited. After tearing the thing down, though, I realized the precedent cause to the failure. One of the drum rollers had frozen due to wifey's gorgeous long hair becoming entangled in it and literally melting the roller off its bushing. So I had to order a replacement and just got finished installing the whole deal. The cautionary part of this story is that while it is a pain in the ass to disassemble a dryer, it is worth it every few years to fix stuff like this and keep it from happening. Also, the amount of lint in the workings was pretty scary. Good opportunity to suck it out.This model currently sells for $1100, so I guess I saved about $900, or at least deferred it.

Good work young man! I had to replace the plastic and felt sliders on my dryer a few years back. Not a bad job to do, but damn it was expensive for a couple feet of thin plastic and some heavy felt. I believe it was a little over $100.

Did you clean out the vent stack while you had it apart?

I feel both your pain and your victory. Have fixed our dryer and dishwasher numerous times. Wife and two daughters (living at home) all have long hair and it fucks up just about everything it gets into. Vacuum beater bar needs to be continuously cleaned out lest it burns out bearings. Shower and sink drains clog up often, dryer needs constant cleaning. :icon_rolleyes:

Good work young man! I had to replace the plastic and felt sliders on my dryer a few years back. Not a bad job to do, but damn it was expensive for a couple feet of thin plastic and some heavy felt. I believe it was a little over $100.

Did you clean out the vent stack while you had it apart?

What is a vent stack? I cleaned pretty much everything.

I replaced the drum rollers in my dryer a couple years ago after the dryer started sounding like it had a pair of sneakers banging around inside it.

I found the site www.repairclinic.com

It not only helped me diagnose the problem, but has parts for order as well as step by step guide for replacement for your specific model.

Our gas dryer died on 12/20 last year right about when we were doing the whole "get ready for guests" routine. I, like yourself, decided to start taking stuff apart to figure it out. A few Internet searches later, I had a good idea of how the simple thing works and started to diagnose why there was no heat. Igniter? Relay? *shrug* It had to be one of the two since the electronics all seemed to be working (that's the pricey part). So, I sourced the parts locally within an hour or so and decided just to replace them both to end the chin scratching. $140 and a 30 minute round trip later, I had parts in-hand.

Taking it apart wasn't hard, until I got to the fan part. That had to be beaten to death with a hammer (add in another $18 part) but it was cathartic at the same time.

Did you know that, on the assembly line, the first parts into that particular model are the igniter and relay? It required just about complete dis-assembly but, like you, it was back in business for under $200. Took me about 4 hours, including the two parts runs, but even still I calculated my time valued at $200/hr on that vacation day. I'd love to be able to make that kind of money full time for a few years!!

good deal phil. Always nice to not having to call, and then wait for an 8hr window of a repair guy to show or the headache of shopping for another one.

I feel your pain with the hair situation. Between my wife and daughter its a wonder they have any hair left on their heads. My hair is maybe 1/4" long, son is the same if not shorter.

Believe my dog should also be bald, vacuum every day with a Dyson and think we find a small puppy in the canister each time.