CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wheel bearing knockout tool

KaziXX

I was going to say Harbor Freight Press... the 12 ton for $99. But I don't know if the tire/wheel will fit between the two side bars? I have that one and use it quite a bit... but I haven't tried to put a motorcycle rim/tire in there.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...img.IsJZV5H5eJM

Hit the outer races. You can also just use a socket that is slightly smaller diameter. When putting the new bearings in you can put the old bearing on top of it and hit the old bearing.

Or take it to a machine shop.

Since you're replacing the bearings, you don't have to worry about damaging them. I just used a long punch to just catch the edge of the inner race and hammered it out, working around the diameter a little at a time. Make sure the punch is a good one. Anything from Harbor Freight won't be tough enough. Another thing you could use is a "blind bearing" or inside type slide-hammer. Once you have one of them out, the spacer will just fall out and the other bearing is easy. Tap in new bearings with a big socket that is slightly smaller than the O.D. of the bearings. Freeze the bearings before hand, they will go in easier. Don't forget to put the spacer back in before you press in the second new bearing.

Freeze the new bearing.

I used a long socket extension with a socket on and tapped out the olde one. Used the old 1 to replace the new one.

worked for me.

$60?

I use an old screwdriver, place it against the bearing and tap, going around the bearing evenly until it drops out. Takes about 2 minutes. If your wheel has a spacer between the bearings, you may need to knock it aside to get a purchase on the bearing race.

Remember to clean the bearing bore well and spread a thin coat of oil on it before installing the new (frozen) bearing. I use the HF bearing/seal driver kit to tap it in. The key thing is to make sure the bearing is going in squarely from the start.

And if you have a spacer between the bearings inside the wheel, MAKE SURE TO INSTALL IT BEFORE INSTALLING THE SECOND BEARING. I see on the Bird's rear wheel diagram it is part #8, called a "collar". If you don't, you'll have to do it over and may ruin a bearing on removal. DAMHIKT.

For swingarm bearings, I rigged up a press using a threaded rod and some large hardened washers and nuts. The bearings went in nice and slick.

I finished the job Monday night and it went pretty smooth. It took less time than I figured and it rides much better now. I'll do the rears this weekend and finally put in the forks that Icepick sent to me to try.

Thanks again guys!

• 1 year later...