CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody done the 5:2/Fasting Diet?

IcePrick

Seems to be all he rage. It actually looks like one I could stick to, as it only requires one to "behave" two days a week.
I've been doing the 6/1 diet for years.

6 beers for every meal.

I have an electrician friend who told me about the union diet.

"You go to the job in the morning, and, you know, you have a cup of coffee. Then, around 9:00, you have a cup of coffee. Around 10:30, you get a cup of coffee, then at lunch you have like a tuna sandwich or something. Then around two, have a cup of coffee. Before you pick up your tools for the day, have a cup of coffee. Then, when you get home, just... don't eat. Have like a six-pack or something and you won't be hungry."

Basically, you have a week's work of caffeine every day, a 500 calorie meal for lunch, and get hammered instead of dinner.

Hey, it works for him...

Not having heard of this or done any googling, I'm assuming this would be a "eat whatever you want for 5 days a week and fast for the other two" set up?

Seems like it would play hell with your blood sugar levels and thus your metabolism. Not eating two days out of every five also doesn't really seem like a sustainable plan to me.

How about just the basics. Eat healthy foods in moderation. Get a fair amount of exercise. Even walking at a fast pace for 30 minutes helps.

There have been some very intriguing studies surfacing in the recent year about the benefits of fasting at least 1 day per month. In combination with that "trend", there have been some leptin based studies showing that the approach you're describing keeps your metabolism high during fasting which allows faster weight loss.

Where I'd be concerned is if it was truly eat what-the-fuck-ever for 5 days and expect to lose everything you gained and then some in 2.

Funny how all of the tricks people are trying to use still doesn't beat the simple "eat less, move more" plan that has proven successful across the board. At a minimum, walking for at least 30 minutes a day is a must...for a variety of reasons. How you keep the calorie deficit at least at -1 is probably all there is left to debate.

Funny how all of the tricks people are trying to use still doesn't beat the simple "eat less, move more" plan that has proven successful across the board.

This is what worked for me, so it's what I tend to endorse. I've also learned that different things work for different people, but the common thread to long term success is sustainability. If this is something you can see doing for the rest of your life, then it may be a solution. If not, you'll likely be searching again a year or two from now.