CBR1100XX.org Forum

Project Pics - Overdue to KK

Warp11XX

Krypt asked for pics of my Spring storm damage replacement roof back in the Summer or Fall....I'm slow.... :icon_biggrin: take that statement as you will....

I got a bug to shoot these this evening after work, so sorry they're a little dark.

post-1674-1361838147.jpg post-1674-1361838199.jpg

I believe the guys that installed it did a pretty good job and we're pretty happy with the finish. I still have to paint the porch trim and hang some new faux decorative shutters on the north side (left) of the house. Also have an expanded front deck to do and rear bedroom addition is being "planned"... :icon_whistle: We'll see....

But right now, I've been working since Fall on this project. It will actually get me some working and daily parking space back in the garage again... :icon_rolleyes: for awhile. It's been almost ten years since I built my garage, and twelve since we started the house under 80% contract. I'm finding out that this stuff isn't nearly as easy this time. There have been a LOT of sore as all Hell Monday mornings since September when I formed the foundation. I started on 35 cubic yards of concrete and have gone from there. Now I'm racing against Spring to finish it and enjoy the Summer in my garage without all the hoarded motorcycles and tools. I don't know how many more of these projects I've got in me, but I've been blessed and fortunate enough to really enjoy this one. I'm excited for it to be finished though....come on just a little bit of decent weather :icon_pray: . Dimensions are 36'x16' separated into 24' and 12' sections. The 12'x16' will eventually be a finished wood and crafts shop for Mama. The rest is my storage....yeeeeehaaaaaa! Waiting on remaining metal roofing scheduled later this week if weather allows.

post-1674-1361838535.jpg post-1674-1361838469.jpg

post-1674-1361838407.jpg post-1674-1361838353.jpg

post-1674-1361838250.jpg

Thanks buddy! :icon_biggrin: It's been some tough going at times with the weather and keeping my stuff as dry as possible while working between squalls. I got some guys to do the finish on the concrete pours...too big for me to even consider doing, and they did a great job. The rest of the work has been mine, with some help on a Saturday from Barry, John, and Joey (my daughter's fiancé) in standing the completed walls and locking it in place. Joey has been my gopher and handyman with the whole project on and off....poor guy has to work for FedEx, my daughter, and me... :icon_whistle: You gotta feel for him! :icon_biggrin:

Nice garage! Looks like some very neat work. Questions...is no sheathing under the metal roof typical for your area on "out" buildings? Do you plan on heating it at all? Just wondering because I'm going to building a garage/shop on my cabin property and can't decide whether to build or just get a pre-fab and have it dropped off. It will be much smaller, probably 12x24.

Thanks. It's a mix around here as to common practice. We get the "best" of both northern and southern weather here, so it's a real pick-em. I would have sheathed it if I thought it was going to be occupied to any extent. The 12'x16' shop area is going to be finished and insulated all sides and above sheetrock ceiling. That way it will heat up and hold well enough for project and hobby work all day in the winter months. I didn't allow for any plumbing so I can't be hassled for code stuff later by the Man (if he ever finds out...yes, I'm a bureaucratic scofflaw). I will run power service to it at some point as a subpanel type of setup , probably no more than 220@50A.

Pre-fabs are nice too. John just got one that is framed floor and claims to be rated to park a car in it. I know it doesn't even move when he rides his GL-18 Wing into it. He bought the 12'x24' version. They offer the pre-fabs around here up to 28'. Bigger and they'll build on site for the same square foot price. Still save huge money doing it yourself. No way could I afford the labor otherwise.

Me likey. I am struggling with what wifey wants versus what I can afford right now. DIY as much as possible is the way to go, but I am way too much of an amateur to do any framing by myself. Should have taken shop instead of band.

• 2 weeks later...