CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any rowers in the house?

I have been looking for a good rower for a while. I have been trying to find a deal on a Concept2 and keep missing them. I picked up a LifeCore R100 last night so I'm about to dive in. From what I read though the C2 is the gold standard the LifeCore is every bit as good and even a little more advanced.

I think this should be a pretty good workout for my non-lifting days. I don't know anything about rowing other than it seems like a really good way to hit a LOT of muscles and its zero impact...IE not pounding my joints like running/jumping rope etc. Hopefully I won't stroke out. :icon_biggrin:

I have been looking for a good rower for a while. I have been trying to find a deal on a Concept2 and keep missing them. I picked up a LifeCore R100 last night so I'm about to dive in. From what I read though the C2 is the gold standard the LifeCore is every bit as good and even a little more advanced.

I think this should be a pretty good workout for my non-lifting days. I don't know anything about rowing other than it seems like a really good way to hit a LOT of muscles and its zero impact...IE not pounding my joints like running/jumping rope etc. Hopefully I won't stroke out. :icon_biggrin:

I start my workouts by rowing on a Concept 2. I usually only do around 10 minutes, enough to get my heart rate up and my muscles loose.

On days when I don't lift, I spend more time on it.

I've had a Concept II since 1998. It is very reliable, easy to use, comfortable and tough as nails. I would highly recommend it. The company as I recall provides great customer service too. It will work you out as hard as you want to. In the past, when I was a younger man and in better shape, it was my go-to means of being very fit and trim. I still have it but I have migrated over to kettle bells as my way of trying to ward off the ravages of aging.

I start my workouts by rowing on a Concept 2. I usually only do around 10 minutes, enough to get my heart rate up and my muscles loose.

On days when I don't lift, I spend more time on it.

Thats exactly my plan. I lift 3 days a week and plan on rowing the two off days. Last night I jumped on it for maybe 5-10 mins to warm up. I think its a great warm up for my knees...which if I rush my warm up can give me some grief on my deads and squats.

I want to do some short early morning cardio 5x week as well. Nothing too strenuous just a bit of fasted cardio to get the metabolism kicked in. I may do rowing then too. I have used the bike trainer and may still mix it in but its sooo boring. 15-20 min is about all I can take.

Tues I did my first cardio workout on it. I took it easy since it was the first time I've ever rowed. There are a lot of neat programs in the computer you can do. I just did 10x 1m high intensity, 30s low intensity.

Last night for my warm up I used a program that you kind of race the computer. It tells you how far ahead or behind the computer boat you are. Sorta fun.

Not only the knees....You will be surprised at how much work your core muscles are doing.

There are a lot of subtle changes you can make during a session to shift the load to different muscle groups.

Here is a link to a Concept 2 training guide. click me

• 2 weeks later...

My son belongs to a rowing team and they use the Concept II to train when not in the water. That is also what I work out on at my gym.

They are very highly regarded.

Josh does 500 m in 1:45.7, 1500m in 5:17.2

My son belongs to a rowing team and they use the Concept II to train when not in the water. That is also what I work out on at my gym.

They are very highly regarded.

Josh does 500 m in 1:45.7, 1500m in 5:17.2

Thats hooked up pretty good. I think my 500m time is around 3:00 according to the computer.

That is a real good time.

My typical pace is right at 200m./minute

They had a rowing competition for the Biggest Loser contestants a couple years ago.

How quick they could row 10,000 meters.

All the contestants were at home for a week. The winner got $10,000

I think the winner did it in around 30 minutes.