CBR1100XX.org Forum

Snowblower Lighting

rockmeupto125

Snow sucks, so does using a snowblower without a light on it.

My new to me snowblower has a light, but the bulb is broke and the socket is trashed. It looks to be an 1156 bulb, which I bet just lit up the landscape like a nuclear blast. I started to look around at what would be a good strong light to put on there, and didn't come up with much. Best I can figure out is that the 8hp Tecumseh can provide a max of 18 watts AC at 12 volts.

So what's the most light I can get out of this thing for cheap? I care nothing for using the original housing...its a snowblower, I can hold the light on with hose clamps. I appeal to the electrical geniuses (genii?) here for guidance because I am feeling lazy today. If I use an LED light, would it work but I would only get half the light? And halogen or any light-emitting gas bulbs wouldn't work at all?

Edumacate me, or better yet, just gimme the fish. I don't want to learn a new skill today. :icon_whistle:

Rayovac makes a line of "indestructable" LED flashlights, I own several of them. They're waterproof, I've dropped mine on concrete from 10-12 feet without issue and the 2 "AA" version puts out more light than my 5 "D" cell maglight. Oh, and the batteries last forever.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/rayovac-indes...t-diy2aa-b.html

Couple of those and a roll of duct tape should run you about $40.

I would probably look for another 1156 light. Why because you are getting twice the light or Lumens out of it, than you think you are.... ( ok maybe not twice, but more yes)

Don't compare your theoretical (in your brain) light out put of some automotive 1156 bulb to what your going to get out of a 1156 on a snow blower on an un-rectified circuit. Because it is AC you will get almost twice the amount of light.... and it's easy and cheap to replace.

Like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arnold-Snow-Throwe...=item3cc4da7f32

......now this is not to say that I have not wanted to try a low watt indoor 12v halogen light myself... just haven't gotten around to playing with that yet.

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to sound funny, but why not something LED? They don't care about a/c - d/c current, they don't draw much current, handle vibration well.

Find a housing that takes a MR-16 lamp that supports the lamp by the head of it and not the socket, then drop $20 at homo depot for one of their own brand 4 watt LED MR-16 lamps. They kick out 295 lumens at about 3K kelvin. Good bulb.

There are many other LED MR-16's out there too that produce a good punch of light as well but the challenge will be to find a suitable housing. If you are creative, you can make your own housing too.

just an idea.

There are landscape lights at home Depot that utilize MR16 bulbs for uplighting walls. You can substitute an LED MR16 bulb for one and make up a handlebar or clamp mount for it.

Here are a few examples: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/se...1z115yu=1z115yu

You might want to make sure that there is a strong retention for the bi pin light so that it does not vibrate out of the fixture. Some of the spots should do it as they retain the bulb with a tight fitting screw on bezel. Otherwise, you might have to instal a little bit of compressible closed cell foam between the edge of the lamp and the glass lens.

Good luck.

I'm with Redbird on this one. I have a single AA Rayovac that puts out 120 lumens. That damn thing is BRIGHT! Two of those on your hand grips should do the job. If you don't blind yourself in a white out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys.

I fixed the socket and put an 1156 bulb in it. Better to put my effort/$$$ into high powered (LED maybe?) outdoor/security lighting.

Used it three times this year. Its saved me an estimated 6 hours of work for the $150 I spent for it. I guess its worth the storing and maintenance, but just barely.

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys.

I fixed the socket and put an 1156 bulb in it. Better to put my effort/$$$ into high powered (LED maybe?) outdoor/security lighting.

Used it three times this year. Its saved me an estimated 6 hours of work for the $150 I spent for it. I guess its worth the storing and maintenance, but just barely.

Admitt it you like your toys.... we wouldnt be men if we didn't.

Winter isn't over yet you may still get your chance to go blowing.... :icon_evilgrin: