CBR1100XX.org Forum

.40 S&W Brass - Free to Good Home

Cold, wet, raining... perfect day for sorting brass.

Don't know if anyone here is into reloading the .40, but I have several thousand rounds of once-fired. Not cleaned. Remington, Federal, and some Winchester. You pay the shipping.

I've decided that reloading 9mm, .38, .357, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 LC, .223, and .308 is enough fun. I'd love to have a 10mm, 45-70, .357 Sig, and maybe a few others, but what I have now will probably be the extent of it. Just keeping track of what powders I have on hand is a chore already.

If VLTOR ever completes their Bren Ten project, I'll have to cave on the 10mm, but I think I have my calibers selected for quite some time otherwise.

Between KPD and ours, I have all I could ever need and more. Better than throwing it away. I cringe when I hear brass hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

Best news of all - KPD just switched to .45ACP. And they have some bolt-action shooters that shoot nothing but match .308 ammo.

Anyone who wants to reload SW .40 should be very aware of a couple of critical details!

Unlike most brass that has a gradual radius of brass around the web area near the case rim, .40 brass tends to have a rather sharp transition in brass thickness from the vertical walls to the case head(more like a V). Problems occasionally arise when shooting in pistols that do not fully support the case head, such as a Glock (Wolf replacement barrels generally alleviate the problem).

As a result, a certain bit of the brass bulges out a bit when fired. After running the cartridge through a sizing die this area will eventually work harden or not be fully resized, as most dies do not really fully form the brass all the way to the case rim due to their design and entry radius (they actually make dies that push the 40 case through a die to iron this out a bit). http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/16318

Multiple firings through an unsupported chamber will potentially lead to a separated case head, particularly when loaded to full pressure. You are "generally" safe to load them once or twice as long as you know what they were fired from. Miscellaneous 40 range brass should be avoided, however, IMHO.

This is why every single round I reload is visually inspected and inserted into a case gauge to make sure it is within spec. Any bulges prevent the round from fully seating in this gauge. it also has a lip on the inside at the end so you can check bullet press depth and case length. If anything extends out from either end of the gauge, it's a fail.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...dgun_Case_Gages

If Hank is out and nobody else is in line I would like it.

Ethan

Sold again! In light of the above info, just FYI all brass is once-fired from P229 SIGs. PM me your address and I'll send you the shipping cost with my PayPal address. I'll probably do one of the USPS "if it fits" boxes.

I'll second the notion on case gauges. I got in the habit of that when reloading 30-06 for service rifle, some really bad things can happen if a cartridge doesn't seat properly and the bolt doesn't lock into battery. Gauges cost a little up front, but when you're having controlled explosions right next to your face - good insurance. I have gauges for everything I actively reload at the moment - 9mm, .45ACP, .223, and .308 - and won't start up on another round until I have gauges. I think of the things I used to reload when I was a kid, it's amazing there weren't any catastrophes considering all the things I didn't know. Ignorance is bliss...

I didn't know that about the design of .40 brass. Same for .357 SIG, I would guess? .40 case pressures are also notoriously high, likely exacerbating the problem. In my case, for what I reload, most of it is for target shooting and designed to do no more than meet minimum power factor. Just my take on it, factory ammo is too consistent and reliable to bother with working up reloads for self-defense.

I won't handload anything for self defense because I don't want the legal ramifications of it (if any, not a road I want to travel down.) I use store bought ammo for carry, reloads for target practice. But they are the same weight round for similar flight characteristics so it's not all for naught if it comes down to go-time.

• 5 months later...

I am looking to start collecting 10mm brass if you start coming across some. I will trade you whatever brass you need for it. I have .38spcl, 9mm, 40, 45, 223/5.56 various brands and .308 mostly Federal Gold Medal cases

I am looking to start collecting 10mm brass if you start coming across some. I will trade you whatever brass you need for it. I have .38spcl, 9mm, 40, 45, 223/5.56 various brands and .308 mostly Federal Gold Medal cases

I'll have to get to the range after FBI has been there - they shoot some 10mm and aren't too fastidious about policing their brass.

And I will, someday, get a shipment of brass out to Ethan. I haven't forgotten, but I counted the last batch I had and there were fewer than I anticipated. It has been wet every time we've shot since, so the brass is full of dirt, grass, and is blemished. Just waiting for some nice stuff.