CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wiring up a dedicated 220v 20 amp oulet for Table saw

Moriartii

As the topic says I am attempting to wire up a dedicated 220v 20 amp dedicated outlet for my table saw.

Specs:

Table saw needs a minimum 220v 15 amp circuit.

It has a Nema 5-15 plug on it.

I currently have a dedicated 110v 20 amp circuit in my garage.

All my house wire is yellow Romex 12-2 wg wire.

I am going to pull the circuit's white wire from my neutral buss to give me the other leg for the 220.

I will be heat shrinking either black or red on both ends of my white wire.

I am going to change out the 110 outlet to a to a 220 Nema 6-20 outlet.

I am going to replace my single pole 20 amp breaker with a 20 amp double pole breaker.

Questions:

1. Short of turning off my sub panel, is there anyway to trace which white wire on the buss goes with my black wire from the breaker?

2. Any best practices for wiring my breaker? Black on top or white on top.

3. Best practice for wiring the 220 outlet? Ground goes to the green screw. White goes to the gold screw on the same side as the ground. Black goes to the other side gold screw.

Any thing I am missing?

Cheers

K

Not an electrical contractor but do have a pretty nifty tool box to fix TVs with.

Questions:

1. Short of turning off my sub panel, is there anyway to trace which white wire on the buss goes with my black wire from the breaker?

Open the front of the panel up and trace the wire to the top or bottom of the box where it comes into the box and you will most likely find the loom that the wire goes into.

2. Any best practices for wiring my breaker? Black on top or white on top.

Doesn't matter for 220. Both are hot.

3. Best practice for wiring the 220 outlet? Ground goes to the green screw. White goes to the gold screw on the same side as the ground. Black goes to the other side gold screw.

White goes to the white screw or lighter colored of the screws on the side, black to gold and ground is green.

Any thing I am missing?

Cheers

K

Don't shock yourself! 220 hurts.

• 1 month later...

You're going to pull a complete new 3 conductor with an extra ground for a total of 4 wires, correct?

http://products.customwireandcable.com/ite...-dry-600v/13100?

How far is your outlet from your panel?

How much load does the panel have on it already?

How much are you going to run the saw? Going to a 220V sounds like serious business.

Don't forget the principal of seven.

• 2 months later...
You're going to pull a complete new 3 conductor with an extra ground for a total of 4 wires, correct?

That's not how I read it. Sounds like he's planning on using the existing 12-2 wire and using both the black and white wire for each leg of the 220. So there will be no neutral from the breaker panel?

What are you using to replace the white neutral or are you going to use the existing ground for the neutral? Personally I think you're asking for trouble not running the proper wire. All you need is a little jolt while running a table saw and you're going to be playing "where is thumbkin" or worse. :icon_rolleyes:

Also suggest you buy a fire extinguisher suitable for electrical fires. Just sayin...

That's not how I read it. Sounds like he's planning on using the existing 12-2 wire and using both the black and white wire for each leg of the 220. So there will be no neutral from the breaker panel?

What are you using to replace the white neutral or are you going to use the existing ground for the neutral? Personally I think you're asking for trouble not running the proper wire. All you need is a little jolt while running a table saw and you're going to be playing "where is thumbkin" or worse. :icon_rolleyes:

Also suggest you buy a fire extinguisher suitable for electrical fires. Just sayin...

There is no need to run a neutral to a 220/240 V machine like a table saw, so a grounded two-wire cable is all that's required. As the table saw is stated to require a 220V 15a circuit, the #12-2 is quite sufficient. Only appliances like electric dryers and ranges require a neutral in addition to the two hot conductors because the clocks/timers in them run on 120V.