CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone in AZ - Need assist with brake de-link

redwingedblackbird

Howdy ya'll

yup, still have the bird :icon_razz:

Really wanting to de-link the brakes and hoping someone in AZ has been to that dance before

Obviously, want to do this correctly since stopping comes in real handy

Have read a lot of confusing links tonight and not sure which path to follow

Good buddy is an excellent local motorcycle mechanic, looking for prior experience/coaching through this mod

will buy beers as needed : )

• 2 months later...

This is about as good as it gets:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29236

Mine has been working great for years, including a few track days. Bleeding the center piston requires removing the caliper from the forks and holding it with the pistons facing down and a 1/4" or less piece of plywood between the pads, but should be a one time deal.

Best advice I can give? When reinstalling the caliper pistons, pour some brake fluid into each hole, and then turn the pistons as you press them in and leave as much of the piston sticking out as possible, but still engaging the seal. This will allow you to fill the caliper with a good volume of brake fluid before attaching the banjo fittings. Once you have the hoses connected, you can push all of the pistons fully back into the calipers which should fill the entire system with fluid and prime the master cylinder. It's a little messy, but it worked for me even better than a Mity-Vac pump. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

After spending a few hours draining brake fluid and removing all linked brake parts.

Installed new HEL lines from JAWS kit, bled with assistance from mechanic buddy with suction bleeder tool thing

drilled out the center of bleeder nipples per JAWS instructions (which means I'm only using the outer two pistons on each caliper)

Figured I would give the 4 piston setup up front a go and if I want to change it up later to include the center pistons, just have to replace two bleeder nipples and drill two holes per the link in post above

Remarkable difference in stopping performance and I'm really liking the de-linked version of my bird

Next up, a new set of EBC HH pads (have EBC HH now but they are worn low) and she'll be set for a long time.

Nice bonus, the right fork leg now has a free fixture point to attach lights, machine gun, laserjammers, flir pod, Go Pro, etc

Also installed an HEL clutch line and replaced fluid and bled it so the clutch is great too

how is the stopping compared to being linked? You said its an improvement, but is it night and day, or that feels better..

demo day last yr I was so impressed with the brakes on the new bikes. When I got back on my bike the brakes felt old and mushy even though I have HH pads and just bleed the whole system a month prior. granted the bikes were a decade newer also..

• 1 month later...
how is the stopping compared to being linked? You said its an improvement, but is it night and day, or that feels better..

the setup uses HEL stainless braided lines, brand new fluid, a full caliper flush, and new EBC HH pads

the lever feel is much stiffer on both the front and rear as expected

the braking feedback at hand and foot is really nice, linked didn't give this accurate tactile feedback

I'd say they are "touchy" now, and buddy that rode it also mentioned that they are "instant"

It isn't all that accurate to make a comparison to my old pads, fluid, various valves, lines, etc

my linked brakes always had a soft feel to them, even after a full bleed and new pads

I really like the new setup and looking forward to trying it out with fresh tires

One thing occurred to me, there are less parts that can fail, and that's a good thing

Been riding around re-learning my Bird from a braking perspective... timing, front/rear balance, approach speed, etc

I can confirm that it REALLY stops from 100MPH, did a little test and yea.. they work real good

the setup uses HEL stainless braided lines, brand new fluid, a full caliper flush, and new EBC HH pads

the lever feel is much stiffer on both the front and rear as expected

the braking feedback at hand and foot is really nice, linked didn't give this accurate tactile feedback

I'd say they are "touchy" now, and buddy that rode it also mentioned that they are "instant"

It isn't all that accurate to make a comparison to my old pads, fluid, various valves, lines, etc

my linked brakes always had a soft feel to them, even after a full bleed and new pads

I really like the new setup and looking forward to trying it out with fresh tires

One thing occurred to me, there are less parts that can fail, and that's a good thing

Been riding around re-learning my Bird from a braking perspective... timing, front/rear balance, approach speed, etc

I can confirm that it REALLY stops from 100MPH, did a little test and yea.. they work real good

I knew you would like it. Just takes some getting used to. Kinda like a new bike. :icon_smile: