CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turn signals in Mirrors

redxxrdr

I'm working to repair that little Yellow SV that I bought. The one with the rough paint, and the shaved turn signals.

I am planning to add some type of turn signals into the front of the mirrors, sort of like the Bird.

I have also thought about doing the flashing arrow LED indicators in the mirror itself, like many of the trucks have now.

But my question? Are the LEDs in the mirror a distraction to the rider at night? I could put in dim LEDs, But I really want bright ones to help get the attention of the cages behind me.

Another question. Does anyone know of any good rear turn signals? Most of the aftermarket stuff that I see is small and hard to see. I don't want to install School Bus lights, but I would like to have something that can be seen.

The OEM stuff was removed by a previous owner years ago.

med_gallery_2281_730_820139.jpg

Thanks,

Craig

Watch craigslist for oem signals removed by idiots with sportbikes who install tiny aftermarket lights that can't be seen and may get them killed. They sell the original stuff cheap and it's often like new.

I would think signals in the mirror glass would be blinding at night. For the front, you can buy inexpensive mirrors with the built-in LED signals (visible only from the front). For the back, spend the money for Rizoma signals, if you really want to be seen or just get OEM.

Thanks all,

I am looking at some DOT GSXR mirrors that have DOT signal lights in them. More expensive than the aftermarket stuff, but they should be visible. Some aftermarket stuff may not be.

I won't put any signals behind the mirror face. I don't need distractions at night.

Tuffguy.

Were you going to add a link or photo to a product?

I have seen in searchs some aftermarket led assemblies for mirrors that have a soft housing.

Review on the ones I found say that they don't show up well in the daylight. These will be my primary turn signals.

I would love to see some that you approve of.

Thanks again,

Craig

I had turn signals in the mirrors on my Goldwing. They're not blinding at night. I found them actually quite useful for vehicles to be able to see them when they wouldn't have otherwise had a direct view of my fronts or rears.

I had turn signals in the mirrors on my Goldwing. They're not blinding at night. I found them actually quite useful for vehicles to be able to see them when they wouldn't have otherwise had a direct view of my fronts or rears.

they shouldn't be any more blinding than turn signals in cage mirrors...........

For rear signals, I took my OEM Honda signals and installed clear lenses. I installed red LED 1156s and added an amber LED "ring" that goes on around the base of the 1156 for the turn functionality. The result is a running light in each turn signal stalk, and the LED amber flasher is positively eye-popping in combination with it. I suppose you could set the 1156 up to be a brake light and have no running light.

I have previously set up 1157s with amber lenses (front take-offs from my SuperHawk) to function as rear running (amber) and turn signals (amber). I haven't attempted it yet (too many other projects), but I was thinking of using an OEM take-off front from the SuperHawk and setting up a 3-wire (1157) LED with the amber LED ring for the rear. That would give you red running lights, red brake lights, and an amber turn all in one light - all in an OEM-looking package.

I'll post some pics later of the 1156 with the amber LED ring. I'll have to look through some old receipts to find where I got the amber rings, but they positively rock. I had to take them off the BlackBird due to clearance issues with the luggage racks, so I went to HyperLites and swapped the 1156/amber rings to the SuperHawk.

*edit*

I was incorrect, I set them up so the signals illuminate in red when the brakes come on, they are not running lights.

I think these are they. If not, pretty close:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-...r&sport.htm

4C9BE1A5-EE22-4E7E-9B48-D4873BDD4B10-481

0C22EF00-C19F-4EE5-9840-13B2C869530A-481

Red..yeah,,i screwed up. Here is the link i meant to post.

http://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_flex...ed_lighting.htm

I recommend the clear case, amber. I have a set and they are impressively bright.

It is really funny you say use GSXR turn signal lights. I have a '04 GSXR 750 and those do not have turn signals in their mirrors. However the later years do. A local guy had some late modle mirrors for sale and i installed them on my '04. They look great! Really easy install too.