CBR1100XX.org Forum

Creatine..

eliXXir

Not that I was looking for a supplement, but it was highly recommended to me. I've done some cursory reading but I figured someone here probably already has done that. I need a sanity check on it - I am not a body builder and I have no desire to get bigger, just stronger and to build tone. Some mass won't bother me, but overall fitness and continuing to lose fat are my goals.

I understand that it is produced naturally and as a supplement it will help increase muscle growth -- especially in high intensity training or explosive activities. And, as a bonus, it helps strengthen damaged tendons and ligaments. So, this means it helps work out harder, faster, and repair damage more quickly. Sign me up!

Okay, great, now I understand what it does and I found this:

[Mix it with] Fruit juice? That's right - the sugar in the juice raises insulin levels, which helps increase creatine uptake into the muscle.

You need about 70 grams of simple sugars for every five grams of creatine, Greenhaff says. He suggests looking for a drink or supplement with 60 grams of carbs per 100 grams of product.

To ensure your body maximizes the benefits of creatine, buy the best stuff you can afford. It's your body - this isn't the time to get cheap.

You'll know the powder is of poor quality if it's hard to dissolve and there's residue at the bottom of your glass after you drink it. You want the powder in your muscles, not in the glass. If this happens, try a different brand.

Drink it right before a workout?

I see the ratio of fruit juice and creatine and that helps, but how much do I ingest, being 6'3" @ 220? I've seen recommendations from 3-20g and any over use will put a strain on your liver long-term. Not to mention that any overdone supplement is just converting $$ to flushes.

How would you even know if you needed more?

Can you recommend a brand and online store to buy it from with a good price?

Thanks

I just skipped the mixes and bought the straight creatine powder from GNC, much cheaper that way. Everything they put in most creatine drink mixes can be sourced way cheaper elsewhere and a lot of it is straight up crap, as in sugar. I was doing 2-3 five gram doses a day and it definitely helped my lifts. I personally saw no benefit to "loading" pre or post workout. Just take it in on a regular basis to keep your levels up.

BTW, creatine in and of itself won't increase muscle growth. It increases "burst strength" so maybe you can get that last rep in and also (supposedly) aids in recovery so your workouts can be a little more intense. It's not going to help much with higher rep workouts or at all with cardio.

Your muscles will be retaining more water, so they may seem to be a slight increase in bulk. Oh, and speaking of which, make sure you're drinking plenty of water if you go on the stuff.

God, it's been almost five months since I worked out, thanks for reminding me....:icon_redface:

I just skipped the mixes and bought the straight creatine powder from GNC, much cheaper that way. Everything they put in most creatine drink mixes can be sourced way cheaper elsewhere and a lot of it is straight up crap, as in sugar. I was doing 2-3 five gram doses a day and it definitely helped my lifts. I personally saw no benefit to "loading" pre or post workout. Just take it in on a regular basis to keep your levels up.
That's what I was thinking too -- buy some juice, mix powder, watch the money roll in..or something.

BTW, creatine in and of itself won't increase muscle growth. It increases "burst strength" so maybe you can get that last rep in and also (supposedly) aids in recovery so your workouts can be a little more intense. It's not going to help much with higher rep workouts or at all with cardio.
Exactly - and burst strength is a big component in MMA, as you know. Not that I plan to compete seriously ever, but it is how I like to train.

Your muscles will be retaining more water, so they may seem to be a slight increase in bulk. Oh, and speaking of which, make sure you're drinking plenty of water if you go on the stuff.
Yeah, my understanding is that the bulk is EVERYWHERE and guys at our size may see 10-12 pounds of 'bulk' suddenly surface over the 1st 30 days or so of use.

God, it's been almost five months since I worked out, thanks for reminding me....:icon_redface:
Yeah, I know the feeling.. I spent the summer not worrying about working out at all, gained a good 5-7 lbs and am just now starting to think through the winter plan. I'm going with a reduction in cardio and an increase in the high intensity stuff -- it seems to be better all around for core strength, joint health, and general energy levels for me. That and it will help me put off the meniscus repair a little longer. ;)

Now I need to get that calorie deficit going again.. Lower carbs helps a lot but takes so much fun out of foods..

Yeah, I know the feeling.. I spent the summer not worrying about working out at all, gained a good 5-7 lbs and am just now starting to think through the winter plan. I'm going with a reduction in cardio and an increase in the high intensity stuff -- it seems to be better all around for core strength, joint health, and general energy levels for me. That and it will help me put off the meniscus repair a little longer. ;)

I actually dropped a bit of weight, but it was all hard earned muscle. I now weigh less, but my waist is bigger, neat trick, eh?

The roofing season will be over soon and I'll be back to it...hope to be back up to 215 and testing for black belt by next spring.

I actually dropped a bit of weight, but it was all hard earned muscle. I now weigh less, but my waist is bigger, neat trick, eh?

The roofing season will be over soon and I'll be back to it...hope to be back up to 215 and testing for black belt by next spring.

Ouch on the muscle loss.. Some of my gain was in my legs again, so I'd like to lose some of that permanently some day. If only my beach muscles would grow easily and the legs not so much.

Up to 215? Awesome that you've knocked it down so well/far that weight LOSS is a problem!

I'm not sure I have a good game plan right now.. The knee is definitely an issue until repaired and I need a new MMA club. Carlson-Gracie was too much and while I loved the intensity, it got me hurt every week and that got old after a couple of months. The school I was at prior is too slow due to having too many age groups involved. There is a new one opening nearby that I plan to check out. *fingers crossed*

Ouch on the muscle loss.. Some of my gain was in my legs again, so I'd like to lose some of that permanently some day. If only my beach muscles would grow easily and the legs not so much.

Muscle or fat on your legs? You're confusing me a bit with the above.

Up to 215? Awesome that you've knocked it down so well/far that weight LOSS is a problem!

Muscle loss is the problem. I have no business weighing more than 200, maybe 205 unless I'm working out. Since I dropped a bunch of weight 2.5 years ago, I've vowed not to be significantly overweight again. I'm doing okay with that, but I am totally out of shape for the first time in over two years. So it's much less a matter of what I weigh than what that weight consists of, which is gooey softness at the moment. I've weighed as much as 220 in the last 2 years, but I was in much better shape at the time.

I'm not sure I have a good game plan right now.. The knee is definitely an issue until repaired and I need a new MMA club. Carlson-Gracie was too much and while I loved the intensity, it got me hurt every week and that got old after a couple of months. The school I was at prior is too slow due to having too many age groups involved. There is a new one opening nearby that I plan to check out. *fingers crossed*

That MMA shit is going to beat the hell out of you no matter where you go. I can see the attraction, but if you're dealing with constant injuries, where's the true benefit? At 40+ I've conceded that my badass days are behind me (or entirely in my head :icon_wink: ) and focused more on beneficial forms/movements. I consider any increased competency in a fighting situation a bonus rather than a goal.

I skimmed this thread. Ill come back and read it later with I have more attention span.

Having said that. I am not big on taking every supplement out there. I take protein powder in my shakes and I take creatine. It definitely helps with lifting. I think part of it is probably that your muscles are super hydrated and have a bit more leverage so to speak. At any rate I was taking it and didnt think it was doing any good so I quit taking it and my lifts suffered.

I only take pure micronized creatine mono. I mix it with my shakes which is not how your are supposed to do it. I think 5g/day is adequate. Its generally recommended to load but I never do. I agree with Tim. Loading and being fanatic about taking it 12.5 mins after or 23 mins before your workout or whatever that latest recommended thing is isnt as important as keeping it in your system.

I know that trick!

I used to get the pure creatine monohydrate or whatever,mix it and take it twice a day,but that was 12 yrs ago.I'm 46 now and debating about going back on it.It seemed to work to help the intensity,and yes the first month I gained 8 lbs,after that usually 3 lbs a month.I was going for just muscle gain,built up 25 lbs in 12 months,5 months of which I never lifted a thing,my waist stayed the same.I'm nowhere near your guys size,but I was happy with 3 lbs a month.

Some time later I found I could gain the same or close with less workouts and no creatine.I had lost around 10 lbs of muscle,and started doing just 2 workouts a week instead of 4,gained at least 2 lbs a month.

Then I got lazy-for the next 10 years and I'm still there today! :icon_rolleyes:

Muscle or fat on your legs? You're confusing me a bit with the above.

Muscle..I think..bulk regardless. I'm back to the point where normal jeans aren't fitting and while I was running a lot my legs were smaller so now I only have one pair I can wear unless up go up 2 more inches on waist size, where I am already cinching 2". I started running once a week again, we'll see how the knee holds up.

That MMA shit is going to beat the hell out of you no matter where you go. I can see the attraction, but if you're dealing with constant injuries, where's the true benefit? At 40+ I've conceded that my badass days are behind me (or entirely in my head :icon_wink: ) and focused more on beneficial forms/movements. I consider any increased competency in a fighting situation a bonus rather than a goal.
I've always needed something that requires complete focus to get myself really motivated - working out for the sake of working out has never been a pattern I could sustain, however, training at an MMA gym once or twice a week is awesome for strength, endurance, and flexibility. That isn't enough to truly take advantage of class, so working out on the other days is a lot easier since I know I am going to run out of gas in the gym if I don't.

I haven't actually sparred since the 1st quarter of this year and may never again. I'll never be a badass, but that was never the point. In the real world a knife or gun takes the best fighter to task without issue. I'm very humble in that regard, especially after training knife fighting off and on for the last couple of years. It's soooo easy to stab someone, even someone who has been training knife defense for decades -- I've done it (with a rubber knife) over and over and I wouldn't consider myself all that skilled with a knife either. Know what I mean?

Next gym for me will be kick boxing oriented. The ground game is a great workout and absurdly challenging against a skilled opponent, but that's where I pick up the neck/back injuries. So, back to the striking game..that's a game you never master.

Muscle..I think..bulk regardless. I'm back to the point where normal jeans aren't fitting and while I was running a lot my legs were smaller so now I only have one pair I can wear unless up go up 2 more inches on waist size, where I am already cinching 2". I started running once a week again, we'll see how the knee holds up.

Hell, if it's muscle, buy different jeans. :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, I can't picture anyone but a serious weightlifters filling up the legs on a pair of relaxed fit Levis. Not that I've ever had that problem. You been squatting or working your legs a lot?

I've always needed something that requires complete focus to get myself really motivated - working out for the sake of working out has never been a pattern I could sustain, however, training at an MMA gym once or twice a week is awesome for strength, endurance, and flexibility. That isn't enough to truly take advantage of class, so working out on the other days is a lot easier since I know I am going to run out of gas in the gym if I don't.

Weightlifting has never helped me at martial arts, probably the opposite. Stronger is better, but heavier generally isn't. Martial arts= cardio, flexibilty, balance. Weightlifting (the way I was doing it) = strength and mass. For my purposes they offset each other nicely and earlier this year I was in the best shape of my life at 42, but if I was to focus on one of the other I'd certainly see more progress. My instructor kinda frowns on weightlifting, at least the low rep/high weight variety.

I haven't actually sparred since the 1st quarter of this year and may never again. I'll never be a badass, but that was never the point. In the real world a knife or gun takes the best fighter to task without issue. I'm very humble in that regard, especially after training knife fighting off and on for the last couple of years. It's soooo easy to stab someone, even someone who has been training knife defense for decades -- I've done it (with a rubber knife) over and over and I wouldn't consider myself all that skilled with a knife either. Know what I mean?

I do. It's still nice knowing you've got at least some training if push ever comes to shove.

Next gym for me will be kick boxing oriented. The ground game is a great workout and absurdly challenging against a skilled opponent, but that's where I pick up the neck/back injuries. So, back to the striking game..that's a game you never master.

That's the only sparring I've ever done, and that'll fuck you up, too. A few shots to the side of the leg/knee will have you walking funny for a few days. I'd honestly rather be hit in the head, I've got more experience with that. :icon_razz:

Hell, if it's muscle, buy different jeans. :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, I can't picture anyone but a serious weightlifters filling up the legs on a pair of relaxed fit Levis. Not that I've ever had that problem. You been squatting or working your legs a lot?

I'm not talking about jeans, those are easy.. I'm talking about $100 per pair of wool business pants that I don't plan on replacing anytime soon. :icon_wink:

And as for sparring, I'll spar again when I find a gym that will let me wear some head gear. Having had a couple of concussions now from sparring, I'm going to avoid that..too much brain damage in my past already and I am not going to keep pressing my luck until I end up like a Foreman.

I'm not talking about jeans, those are easy.. I'm talking about $100 per pair of wool business pants that I don't plan on replacing anytime soon. :icon_wink:

LOL, that's me living in my little world. Only time I wear anything besides jeans is weddings and funerals. I forgot some (most?) people don't wear jeans to work. :icon_redface:

LOL, that's me living in my little world. Only time I wear anything besides jeans is weddings and funerals. I forgot some (most?) people don't wear jeans to work. :icon_redface:

I wear jeans and a flannel or sweat shirt to jury duty every day -- that's been a nice change of pace. I prefer your world. :icon_biggrin:

Sorry for the rewind, but something just clicked...

And as for sparring, I'll spar again when I find a gym that will let me wear some head gear.

Not that I have any huge experience, but I've sparred at a total of two gyms and both of them required head gear, never mind "letting" you wear it. I have zero personal experience with any MMA type gyms, but as a business owner I'd have to think that anything else would be an insurance nightmare. Concussions are way too easy to come by doing the bare knuckle/head thing.

We wear pads on feet, shins, ribs, and either 10 or 16 ounce gloves except in the cage. I had to try the cage once, just because, and did two rounds with an amateur light heavy weight, since that's what I should be, and we only wore the UFC sanctioned gloves - I think they're 5 oz? He was training for an under card for Strikeforce, so he said, "70%" and even that was intense. I have become pretty hard to connect with on my feet, so I did okay until I took him down (none of these guys trained Judo, so it was pretty easy) and then he made me his bitch and submitted me about 6 times in 4 minutes.

Very few serious fighters want to hurt their sparring partners, so I was sore the next couple of days, but no real injuries were sustained. That was a very humbling experience, and being pressed against the cage is far more disarming than I had thought. He did a lot of feint or light elbows and punches at my head and could easily have pounded me out. So, his corner coach told us to stand up for the last minute or so and work his standing game and I caught him with a combo...a little too hard...he took me down, and stuffed one arm up my ass and made me tap once more for good measure.

I won't go back in the cage, but it was cool to do...once.

Now that I think about it, that was the last time I sparred or even went to a gym. :icon_think:

• 1 year later...

Creative is great for muscle recovery and for increasing strength by packing water into the muscles (volumizing).

Make sure you are also taking glutamine. That is fantastic for recovery.

• 2 years later...