CBR1100XX.org Forum

Regulator replacement

Chewtoy

Noticed the battery needed a bit of water last weekend. Then noticed it was bulging along the sides!

Took a look @ the r/r and the dang thing was cracked. So rather than replace with the same thing, went to roadstercycle.com and got one of theirs.

It's a bit larger, and you have to do some wiring to hook it up, no more than changing the connectors on the existing wire ends, and you have to take care to mount it, as it's larger than the stock r/r, and you need to set it so it clears bodywork, but it's NBD. I only had to drill 1 hole in the rear subframe. A new Big Crank battery finished the job. So I have a better r/r with better connectors now. Total cost about $225.

It's a Saturday afternoon job, I did some each night this week after work. The regulator was ordered on Sunday and arrived on Monday (!), but the battery took until Friday to appear.

Pictures at the link. Hope this is of use to someone.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/10798003...490174598133313

The difference is OEM or Mosfet (R-1, FJR style)

The Mosfet is a big improvement...

Ricks is the Mosfet style. :icon_biggrin:

My voltage runs lower than the OEM R/R I had on...which isn't a bad thing. OEM regularly held around 14.6. Mosfet runs 14.3 and monitors voltage via the hot wire rather than needing a separate wire to ground.

• 4 months later...

how are things running on the regulators?

looking at some now and have heard of a few Ricks Hot Shot regs going *poof* something about china parts being used now.

Seems everyone loves the Shindengen Mosfet regs, but even looking on their website they state that they are finding lots of fakes with their logo on it from China. (They are a Japanese based company) Stating they are being found on internet trading sites or places like Ebay in the US.

oh well, just curious.. ricks wants $150 for his hotshot, and can get basically a plug and play Shindengen for $120

• 1 month later...

So far, so good, but I've not racked up a lot of miles since installing it.

Definitely noticed the voltmeter running a good 0.2 volts under what it was with the old RR...more within the range specified. The old RR was pushing towards the upward limit all the time...but never over...before it failed.

• 1 month later...

Mitch, can you post that picture again, maybe this time upload it to the board....

I finally got my connector kit and R1 regulator today,eBay dude that sold the R1 reg was slow as fuck shipping it..., and wanted to get it installed, but.... I forgot which wires go where... Red and green specifically...

I think it was Red wires left, green wires right. Is that correct?

Oh and, to anyone else.. The old links about reg/rectifiers in the useful threads section... Rrrrr... No worky anymore. Just say'n.

Done... pictures explian a lot.

2006 Yamaha R1 Reg/Rec.

I made a mounting plate out of a sheet of 0.100 thick aluminum, to help with the cooling since I knew I was going to have to cut the cooling fins down to make it fit under the body panels. There was a lot of on-off, on-off, with the part and panels to get just the right fit.

I got it all done, and at first it was Not charging. I found the problem to be the 6 plug connectot contacts. After taking it apart, cleaning and tightening up all the connectors, it now charges perfectly.

This mornings ride to work yeilded voltage reading from 12.4 - 14.2V. Perfect.

post-726-1369049058.jpg

post-726-1369049073.jpg

post-726-1369049084.jpg

post-726-1369049094.jpg

Thanks Cal.

On the way home, my volt meter was reading as low as 12.1v @ idle.

Love that...

Off idle it quickly climbs to a maximum of 14.2v at around 4K rpm.

Happy I am.

Now some thoughts,

I wonder how much longer my battery is going to last, since it's no longer is constantly getting over cooked?

I wonder how this is going to affect my stator life?

I wonder if my fuel gauge is going to be accurate again? years ago it was perfect, one gallon per line.

It's amuses me how the stock stator wires are small, maybe 14 gauge, but the regulator wires are bigger, maybe 12 gauge, just after the connector. Not being a electrical engineer... I would assume that the same size wire would be good on the same circuit... but then again, I also guess that it might be part heat sink/connector protector.

I wonder how hot a regulator actually gets.

Looking back... I realize two things that might have been important, I can't recall how much juice the stock stator puts out, nor did I bother to find out how many amps/watts the 04-06 R1 reg (FH011AA) is rated at.

Nice job there, looks like a 110% solution to the problem, and you should never have to revisit this again.

If my fix goes tits up, will try this next time.

Sorry I didn't see your message requesting help, PM ir email me next time and I'll respond promptly. :icon_redface:

Mitch, No worries, thanks.

Krypty, yes, but no. I'm looking for the Amps or Watts.

Also, in my search of how to concur this project with the least amount of resistance... I ran accross these two discussions on Reg/rec. changes, and thought they deserve a mention here.... maybe it'll help someone else in the future.

1. A basic R1 Reg. install on a VFR

http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garag...en-vfr-how.html

2. Oh this one is kinda cool... someone had the bright idea to show the difference between old and new, with an infrared camera... page 5, post 71.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthr...ifiers%29/page5

Mental note:

Burning up electrical energy with extra gadgets and crap, like a heated vest, is Good.

Using less electricity, like installing LED light bulbs, is Bad.

Eric,

Some forums post a gas mileage increase going to the Mosfet regulator. Something tells me that you keep track of that type of stuff.

Post up results if you see an increase.

I really need to get by the post office to get mine and install it. :icon_whistle:

Thanks for the pictures.

Hmm my gas mileage (kilometrage?) went from 9litres/100km to 7/100. I wonder how much is weight loss and how much is the new rr ?

On the way home, my volt meter was reading as low as 12.1v @ idle.

Love that...

I'm not so much in love anymore...

I think my Stator was the true start of all this... now my HID headlight is flashing on and off rapidly at idle.

Dang-it ..... oh well, it's only money right?

damn that sucks.

you can always try rewinding it yourself.

some enamal coated copper wire (get off amazon)

and some super duper epoxy made to take the heat and punishment our bikes give them.

need a new stator myself for my project bike, thinking about rewinding mine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... The Stator has been replaced, it was one of yesterday's projects.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Following Hobi's advise, I checked the Old Stator wires before removal and found, from pins "A to B" Zero Volts, from pins "B to C" Zero Volts, and from pins "A to C" 15 Volts. Totally amazing.... that my Old Regulator Rectifier was Over charging even though the Stator was down on power by at least 33%.

Now.... I'll have to take it out for another "test ride"... to see what kind of Voltage the new R/R is is putting out behind the new Stator.

Test results to follow.

Hi EVLXX

on my 99 model blackbird

i have battery at rest 12.9v

at 2k im getting 14.35

at 5k its the same at 14.35

and once the bikes warmed up im getting mid to hight 13v's (bike idles a bit rough)

those readings are with a mosfet reg rec from jacks roadstercycles