CBR1100XX.org Forum

99 Bird w/pc2, unsteady idle

jeffro67

It might just be my imagination but my blackbird idles a little odd, kinda off sync like it's popcorn popping....It runs just fine when i give it gas but i seem to remember a much smoother sound when i first got it..

It Has a pc2 on it and vance & hines exhaust, k&n filter and 11,000 miles (99 fi model also)

I had an issue last year with it chugging off the start and replaced the fp regulator(didnt fix the problem), then the plugs and the chugging problem was gone..

Question 1: Since the pc2 was never mapped, would it make any difference if i just took it off(some surgery would be required to do this because of a mouse chewing a wire before i got it)?

Question 2:Is it possible that the timing advanced itself when it was having the chugging issue and maybe needs to be adjusted?

The bike runs great overall but I distinctly remember a much crisper and smoother sound from the exhaust initially, any suggestions?

P.s. I've run seafoam through the gas a couple times and it didn't make a difference.

Is it idling too low? Have you tried bringing up the idle speed by a couple hundred rpm?

Next, I would say pull the P.C.

PC's just plug in..I'd bypass it...

Not sure what you mean about the mouse and the wire?

Today's electronics are pretty voltage sensitive so check the replaced wire connections

Mine idles uneven as well

I believe it's out of sync throttle bodies.

Right after I set the valves I'll add that in and see and perhaps?

It Idles at about 1,100, and i have adjusted it before to see if it would matter but it was still unsteady...

The wiring to the computer was chewed up a little because the bike was in a barn before and a mouse made a nest in the airbox at one point, and chewed the wiring by the pc2....From what I can remember i had to "jump" a wire on the pc2 to repair it and it looked like it would have been a little more of a problem to just take the pc2 out. so i left it...But if removing the pc2 would fix the problem i Would bite the bullet and take it out..

I guess the only thing i'm not sure of is if the "unprogammed" pc2 is even helping the bikes performance whatsoever? If Not, it's coming off..Thanks again for the advice.

Take the PC out. Its takes 10 minutes max. A flat blade screwdriver gives a little leverage pulling the connectors.

The power commander does smooth out the low end a bit even if unprogrammed. Right now you need to diagnose your initial problem.

Based on your description of the symptoms and the bike's history, this is the first thing to do.

Why would your throttle bodies be out of sync in 11,000 miles? That ain't it.