CBR1100XX.org Forum

uneven brake pad wear

lensmanxx

I checked the pads on the bike, and was surprised that the rears are worn down to point of needing replacement. There is still about half left on the front pads. Is this normal for linked brakes- especially if the rear is used, or is the rear not releasing and I'm getting some friction? I don't notice any dragging when I clean the chain.

BTW, just ordered EBC HH pads, the same are spec'd for the front and rear- doing all three sets. Ordering online is a pain when front and back are different. The bike has 26k on it, and probably the pads are the second set, wouldn't be surprised if original. Can't tell for sure.

It is possible that the fronts were changed and the rear were not.

If there was enough drag to wear out the rear before the front then you would have noticed during chain maintenance.

I didn't consider that. I hope that's it. The seller gave me a maintenance list- brakes weren't on it, but that doesn't prove anything.

I'm doing all three because they're linked, otherwise I would have done just the rear set. I'll flush the brakes as well - also in case there's anything binding the caliper- I'm in no mood to pull apart the caliper right now to inspect it.

This and the SV is adding up.

With the linked brakes it depends. Do you use the foot pedal more for braking or the hand lever? Unless you use both, the different methods of applying the brakes do not give a 50/50 force. So, if you use the pedal mostly, the rears would likely wear a little more.

If you are going to flush the brake lines, be sure to read the service manual. It is a bit complex as to which lever you activate and which bleeder you open.