CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stainless non disposable Oil filters?

LAMZ XX

Does anybody have on their XX or anybike for that matter, a non disposable stainless steel oil filter on their bike? I'm looking into one and would like to hear the pros or cons of them. I'm thinking it would be a wise investment as I do have a couple of other bikes that the filter would fit as well. Thanks in advance.

I know an ass ton that use the Scotts ones for off road and a couple onroad. I never bought into it. Oil filters arent that expensive and I think the cost of the stainless ones is equivalent to 6 oil filters last time I looked into it and thats 18-24K miles... I havent put that many miles on my bike in a short enough time to care about the cost of the filter.

I looked into it as well.

Frankly, you have to spend time to thoroughly clean it and let it dry before remounting it.

It's basic advantage is that you can see what gunk is in your engine when you clean it. It filters "better" but really, what are the odds of your bike's motor failing from debris in the oil? My experience is that if you change your oil regularly and buy decent quality filters, this is never an issue. In fact, you're likely to sell a car/bike long before engine wear is an issue.

It would be useful in an application where you couldn't carry multiple filters on you but could obtain a cleaning pan and solvent (e.g., cross-country/international trips where finding specific items could be problematic).

I will not be using one.. Just replace the regular filter and be done with it.

I use screens at work that are 75 to 53 microns (baby powder or finer) in opening size and they never ever come back clean even with constant washing and scrubing. After a few months I just get new ones as they no longer allow water to flow through them quick enough from the blockages.

From the ones I investigated, it would take nearly 100K miles worth of oil changes to justify the expense of the SS filter. Also, I don't see how holes in the metal sheet core could be as effective as the synthetic, non-woven medium in the PureOne and similar quality filters.

The holes in the mesh are smaller, at 35microns, than most of the gaps in a synthetic filter. At least that is the idea.

I have one & have used it for years. I have almost 100,000km on this BB & had ~176,000km on it's predecessor. Also, oil filters Down Under are around $25 a piece... So this paid for itself years ago.

The holes in the mesh are smaller, at 35microns, than most of the gaps in a synthetic filter. At least that is the idea.

I have one & have used it for years. I have almost 100,000km on this BB & had ~176,000km on it's predecessor. Also, oil filters Down Under are around $25 a piece... So this paid for itself years ago.

$25 :icon_eek: They include a tube of lube with each purchase?

I run Wix filters or Napa Gold (same filter). Got a parts guy at work that I buy from. Remember getting them for $5 each, they are now $7.40 each..

I used to own fj1200 - cartridge style oil filter . Dealing with all that was PITA . Those stainless steel filters would double the pita factor .

Also let`s not forget shop supplies like towels , brake parts cleaner , etc , that obviously you gonna need to deal with those filters .

YMMV but in my case it is 2 oil changes per year , it is simply not worth the trouble .

I use them on high performance motors to keep track of debris/wear since it is easy to see versus cutting the normal ones apart.

We have filter cutters, look like giant handheld pipe cutters. We have to cut open and inspect all the filter media on our equipment.

Also we use regular filters, whoever makes CAT filters. Some single filters are $200 alone.

Depending on the piece of equipment they can cost $1 to $2 million each.. and still use regualr filters.

You all bring up some excellent points. Some i thought about and others i would of found out the hard way. Cleaning them was one of my primary concerns. The fact that you can't just slap it all back together is another. I saw a couple of bikes at the dragstrip and then thought about my own application. At the same time, I'm not changing my oil that frequently to warrant it either. Would be nice to see the contents of what may or may not be going on in the engine. Always nice to ask here and get some other opinions on the subject. Thanks again guys!!