CBR1100XX.org Forum

Family Speed Health Changes

Speed99

Thanks!

Smoke free since Tuesday

Soda free since Tuesday.

Drinking a lot of water and trying to eat sensibly and eat healthy snacks.

226.8 was my official weigh in Tuesday morning.

Target is 190.

36 pounds. First goal is 9 pounds and then go from there, 36 pounds will not only get me to my target where I can reward myself, it will also save my about a grand in suspension work on the Trumpet. The bike is currently sprung for a 185 pound rider.

I'm holding at 240...

206. Hit my 20 pound loss target.

I am 15 pounds from hitting the sweet spot of my suspension set up on the track bike. HUGE dollar savings right there. Also have a shit ton more endurance than I did a month ago. Did my 5k walk/run in under 40 mins. That's is a personal best for me.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

204 tonight. I am most happy because I had three days on the road eating take out and track food. I made good choices and maintained. Back on the elliptical tonight.

Also....I saw HUGE gains in endurance on the track. Never once felt fatigued out on the track. At RacerXX, I was getting pretty exhausted at the end of a session.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ran my first 5K last Saturday. Shattered my target time and finished right around 30:45 or so. Very happy with a 10 min mile.

Major milestone hit today. Weighed in at 199.4. First time under 200 in about 10 years.

Signed up for our next 5k and am looking for a bike so I can train for a Sprint Triathlon.

Way to go, Rick -- especially taking control and getting back on the plan after backsliding on this saga! THAT is truly the hard part. Keep it going!

If we have fat on our bellies, then we have the same yellow-brown visceral fat around our organs, and that's what will kill you. Banish that shit! I've got ~ 5 more lbs of loss to burn the last of it off me, and then will shift to a program of carefully gaining back ~10 lbs of muscle in getting back to what I weighed in my 20s. I swear -- this time, I am NOT going to let it go back up from there. While I've always known how to gain muscle, and the essential role of exercise, I finally understand the hard part -- the eating plan changes necessary to burn the dang fat off in the first place.

I'm off to the gym before a day of cutting and hauling wood around the property. Thanks for the inspiration, sir!

Thanks guys. It helps being able to come here and share success. I always hated running, but now seem to be loving it. The next 5K is scheduled for Nov 2nd and it is chipped to get an accurate race time. I ran 3 miles tonight and maintained a 10 min mile pace. Having set my first 5K time in the 30 min range, my next goal is to break 30 mins.

More updates. I now have three different neighborhood courses I can run to keep by 5K training going. It gives me different scenery and that helps. The newest route is actually 3.5 miles. I am going to push it for a couple more weeks and then try to do a 10K run.

Why?

Cuz I bought a bike (the peddle kind) to start training for my first Sprint Triathlon. Picked up a new entry level road bike with lots of decent parts on it. Jumped on it this morning and put in 14 miles at 17.5 MPH on a flat course. Not bad for the first time out. I actually had more left in the tank, but my ass was sore as hell.

I will start to do some interval training on it and then work my way into doing the bike ride and then instantly transition to a 5k run. Mix that up with some 10K runs and make sure my endurance is good enough to do the whole Tri. I just need to find a place to swim, but I have always been a strong swimmer so not quite as concerned about that.

Thanks to you guys for having this place to share progress. For me, it helps a lot. I am also very excited that I have motivated a few friends and family to get themselves moving. My older daughters are wanting to train to run a 5K, my mom has decided to get back into exercising and and old friend is now asking how to make the changes. Having an impact on others feels just as good as losing the weight.

More updates. I now have three different neighborhood courses I can run to keep by 5K training going. It gives me different scenery and that helps. The newest route is actually 3.5 miles. I am going to push it for a couple more weeks and then try to do a 10K run.

Why?

Cuz I bought a bike (the peddle kind) to start training for my first Sprint Triathlon. Picked up a new entry level road bike with lots of decent parts on it. Jumped on it this morning and put in 14 miles at 17.5 MPH on a flat course. Not bad for the first time out. I actually had more left in the tank, but my ass was sore as hell.

I will start to do some interval training on it and then work my way into doing the bike ride and then instantly transition to a 5k run. Mix that up with some 10K runs and make sure my endurance is good enough to do the whole Tri. I just need to find a place to swim, but I have always been a strong swimmer so not quite as concerned about that.

Thanks to you guys for having this place to share progress. For me, it helps a lot. I am also very excited that I have motivated a few friends and family to get themselves moving. My older daughters are wanting to train to run a 5K, my mom has decided to get back into exercising and and old friend is now asking how to make the changes. Having an impact on others feels just as good as losing the weight.

What kind of heat do you pack when running/riding? Actually I'm guessing you don't but it sure seems like a good idea to me.

I dont, but funny that you ask because I thought about it on my run last night. My routes are in a nice area and I don't really have a concern, but last nights run took me past a couple of sections frequented by wild life including gators. It was enough that I became very alert for those sections and thought about carrying while I train. I would need to find something small and compact, but that is the goal for most hardware. I have a Fannie pack for both running and cycling. More so, I wonder about Michelle running at night. I never researched it but am guessing there are ccw rules for people here on a green card. Maybe not.

• 5 weeks later...

Update:

Have a few 5K races under my belt and broke 30 mins on my last one. My training runs hover between 3.2 and 3.6 miles and I am mixing it up to add endurance and push for more distance and better 5K times. I actually attempted a 10K training run last week and finished it. Stopped twice to walk for a bit to hydrate, but averaged 10min miles.

Training on the bike hasn't been as consistent, but I can do 18 miles averaging about 17-18 MPH on a flat course. I need to get pedals and shoes so I can incorporate proper pedal technique.

Swim training begins next week. Heading to the Pool at the Y. I used to swim competitively, so I am hoping this will be easier for me. I have good technique which is usually the hardest thing to learn.

Registration for a large Triathlon in my area opens 12/1. I will be signing up for the Sprint distance. 500m Swim, 12 Mile Bike, 5K run. It is in April.

Weight is down to 190. I even dipped into the 180's for a couple days. Focusing on losing weigh more slowly while training.

I can honestly say it has been a complete transformation. My entire frame has changed. Nearly 40 pounds lost and I went from 38-40 pants and XXL Shirts down to 34-36 pants and L shirts. I will have to see if I can dig up some before and after shots soon

• Upvote 1

Way to go, Rick! It's inspiration to read about you sticking with it and getting the results you are despite the challenges of a full schedule. I've got it easy by comparison of our time commitments, but then . . . I'm much older. :o

Have a few 5K races under my belt and broke 30 mins on my last one. My training runs hover between 3.2 and 3.6 miles and I am mixing it up to add endurance and push for more distance and better 5K times. I actually attempted a 10K training run last week and finished it. Stopped twice to walk for a bit to hydrate, but averaged 10min miles.

Not to diminish your times, but to share the humbling I got regularly 5 years ago: My then GF (in 2008) and I used to run together with her Golden Retriever -- usually ~6 - 7 miles, about an hour for me. More correctly, we ran together until she and the dog decided to air it out. I'm 61 now, she's 3 years and 3 days younger than me, but still in phenomenal shape -- a world class runner since she was 17 and an alternate to the 1972 Olympic team in the mile (or metric equivalent if that was the year they switched). I don't know what she can run a 10K at now, because she doesn't compete anymore, but she's still considerably faster than I could EVER run it (~8 min miles). During her competitive days, e.g., she ran and won the San Jose Mercury 10K at 33:41 in 1982 (a month shy of her turning 27)! She put herself through grad school running marathons (her natural best distance was 2 miles), won 4 or 5 significant marathons and came in 3rd and either 7th or 9th (among women) the two times she ran Boston, IIRC. I learned some things from her, but it was like watching a Tour Pro play golf -- an entirely different game for her. She used to call me her "Clydesdale" when we ran. Nice, huh? :D

I still ski with her, and though she can ski anything and do it well, I still whup her there . . . until around 2 pm when "Eileen, the energizer bunny" starts to kick my tired, old ass. I'm in awfully good shape now though (175 lbs.), so I'm hoping to hold her off until the end of the day this year. ;) I have never known ANYONE so competitive (or more eager with the needle), so that ale at the end of the day will be much tastier if I can keep her down all day. :ph34r:

Congrats Rick.

I am jealous and envious of you. I have not been working out as regular as I like do to work and just having too many things going on. I am looking forward to the winter months when I am on straight days so I can work out regularly again.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Not to diminish your times, but to share the humbling I got regularly 5 years ago: My then GF (in 2008) and I used to run together with her Golden Retriever -- usually ~6 - 7 miles, about an hour for me. More correctly, we ran together until she and the dog decided to air it out. I'm 61 now, she's 3 years and 3 days younger than me, but still in phenomenal shape -- a world class runner since she was 17 and an alternate to the 1972 Olympic team in the mile (or metric equivalent if that was the year they switched). I don't know what she can run a 10K at now, because she doesn't compete anymore, but she's still considerably faster than I could EVER run it (~8 min miles). During her competitive days, e.g., she ran and won the San Jose Mercury 10K at 33:41 in 1982 (a month shy of her turning 27)! She put herself through grad school running marathons (her natural best distance was 2 miles), won 4 or 5 significant marathons and came in 3rd and either 7th or 9th (among women) the two times she ran Boston, IIRC. I learned some things from her, but it was like watching a Tour Pro play golf -- an entirely different game for her. She used to call me her "Clydesdale" when we ran. Nice, huh? :D

That is awesome. Doesn't diminish my times at all. Hell, my last 5K, I got passed by a 9 year old girl. At mile 2, she stopped for a water break. I thought I was going to catch her and then she dropped her cup and SPRINTED to catch up to some friends. I never came close. Lol.

I see this like golf. Love the game and I play for and against myself. I will never be world class, but I can certainly set and reach goals that I am more than proud of.

Btw, a 33:41 10k is ridiculous. Freaking awesome.

Weight is sitting right around 188 to 189 for the past week. Got thru Thanksgiving. Ate plenty, bit ate well if that makes sense. Michelle and I took the kids to an outlet mall today and walked our butts off and the I got in a 3.3 mile run and averaged a 9:39 min mile.

I signed Michelle and I up for a 5K in Canada on New Years Eve. We will be up there visiting her sister. Will be interesting running in the cold.

Registration for the St Anthony's Triathlon in St. Pete, Fl opens tomorrow. I will be signing up. Getting a little nervous, but I did sign up for the Y so I can start my swim training.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I started my Swim Training. Let's just say that I completely underestimated how tough the swim portion will be. I had created a false expectation in my mind that the swimming would come easy having swam competitively 20...errr...25...errr...30 years ago. I am very comfortable in the water, have a good swim stroke and can breathe on either side of my free style stroke, but that is where the positives ended. LOL.

I set out to do 30 laps (750 Meters) and got thru about 4 laps before I had to stop swimming free style. In fact...I stopped swimming period for about 30 seconds. My breathing is fine on the bike and while running. Not so much in the pool. I couldnt get enough in to sustain a steady pace. I had to resort to breast stroke often to get thru my laps. Conclusion: I just discovered which discipline I will be focusing ont he most in the next 3-4 months. LOL. Even stopping, I came in at 22 minutes. All that means is "I have a baseline upon which to improve."

I guess one more positive is that I am certain I could do the full 750 meters in breast stroke. Probably would come in right around the 20 min mark for the swim portion, so I have the confidence that I can do this.

I am under 30 mins for my 5K.

I am under 40 mins for my 12 mile ride on the bike.

Pretty confident I could be sub 20 for the swim (will continue to evaluate this goal over the coming months.)

That's 1 hr 30 mins. add 15 for fatigue and transitions and I think my early target for the Sprint Tri is 1 hr 45 mins. That is right in line with first time, beginner triathletes.

Damn, dude, you're going next level shit here, good for you. What a difference a few months can make when you find the motivation, eh?

Indeed. Motivation to start and then finding inspiration to push to new levels. I have a couple friends locally and jheine to thank for that. Elliptical begat walking begat walking a 5K begat trying a 5K run begat trying a 5K race begat buying a bike begat signing up for a triathlon. Along the way, those people I mentioned pushed me a little to try the next thing. Once I raced a 5K Weight and endurance are my two huge improvements. Strength and conditioning are on the radar for the next year. Short term goal is to do the Tri. After that, more Tri's but would like to either increase the distance or attempt a Half Marathon by end of 2014. I think I can do either....maybe both.

The big thing is that I have a lot of room for real improvement. For a guy that gets bored easily, this is huge and has been a major factor in my ability to stick with it. I have five ways to exercise and all are different. Elliptical, running, swimming, cycling, and weights. I haven't started on weights yet though. For swimming, cycling, and running, I have reachable goals for speed and distance that will take years to acheive. Its not like I reached a goal weight and said, "what now?"