CBR1100XX.org Forum

CHEAP Cruise Control that works great

With my last bike, I did a lot of highway riding, bought a Crampbuster and liked it, but always wanted more. I was debating going to a locking throttle like a Throttlemeister, just couldn't justify the price. When I found this I jumped all over it. It's so simple, it's ridiculous and couldn't work better.

I originally purchased one for my last bike and just tried it out on the blackbird and it works flawlessly. It does the same thing as a Throttlemeister, is simple to use and costs $20.

Hope this helps those of you that do a lot of long distance riding.

Throttle Contol

ordered. I was going to look at installing a vista cruz that i have had waiting to install for a long time, but for the price & simplicity...i'll try it. looks a lot better idea than the crampbuster.

I picked up one of those a few weeks ago for the Speed Triple. It does work but its kind of a pita to adjust. It serves the purpose of letting you rest your hand/wrist for a few mins though.

I'm surprised that more people haven't started using them. I see crampbusters all over the internet and own one, but you have to dig deep for this one. They need to market better.

I use this and also have a cramp buster (that I never remove).

I like this lock...can set it with one finger and it only takes a little practice to get it right...adjustments are easy...it holds pretty well...easy to override/disengage. Well worth $20.

Go ahead and laugh but, I use the purple rubber band from the supermarket that wraps the Asparagus.

Double wrapping it between the the instrument pod and the grip provides enough resistance for high gear drone.

I cut it off at any given time and install another when needed. = free. Cruise control can be found along the route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus

Laugh but, it works.

Go ahead and laugh but, I use the purple rubber band from the supermarket that wraps the Asparagus.

Double wrapping it between the the instrument pod and the grip provides enough resistance for high gear drone.

I cut it off at any given time and install another when needed. = free. Cruise control can be found along the route.

Laugh but, it works.

I'm not laughing... I think it's great, if it works... good.

Question... is the resistance always there? or did you wrap it in some manor as to be able to apply and disengage it while going down the road.

RC. I wondered what that was, but didn't mess with it, I was too busy watching the road, and trying to keep the front wheel going up and down. :icon_whistle:

Laugh but, it works.

I'm not laughing... I think it's great, if it works... good.

Question... is the resistance always there? or did you wrap it in some manor as to be able to apply and disengage it while going down the road.

RC. I wondered what that was, but didn't mess with it, I was too busy watching the road, and trying to keep the front wheel going up and down. :icon_whistle:

Its just a big clip. Its not variable. It always grips the same but its easy enough to close the throttle when you need to.

Laugh but, it works.

Just tried the asparagus band thing this last trip. Worked okay, but my urine smelled for a couple of days. That was a deal-breaker for me.

Laugh but, it works.

Just tried the asparagus band thing this last trip. Worked okay, but my urine smelled for a couple of days. That was a deal-breaker for me.

You are suppose to wrap it near the throttle grip not in your shorts.

Eric, the resistance is always there. It's just enough to take your hand off the throttle for a few miles.

It's great for the interstate high gear drone. I cut if off in the mountains. Pull another out of the tank bag when needed.

I tried one of these... didn't hold the throttle on my C14 for shit. I gave it away. It may have had something to do with my grip puppies.

I love my Throttlemeister, even though I rarely use if as a throttle lock. The fuckers are so heavy that they kill the majority of vibration through the bars.

Along Cal's line of thought, there's a particular CAT (as in Caterpillar) O-ring that you should be able to fit onto the handlebar to give friction to keep the throttle at a certain point. When not needed you roll it out onto the bar-end weight, when needed, you roll in into the crease between the weight and the grip.

I really should start stripping my Bird and selling the farkles on here. I have a heavy set of the Manic Salamander bar end weights that are mint.

• 4 weeks later...

Throttlemiester i had found a comfy place in the local landfill. Bought a nifty vista cruise from some board member here. After the break in period, why use anything else? If i had to do it over again, I'm fairly certain I would chuckle and look right over this contraption. Looks kinda cheesy and not as easy to use as the good ole vista. Maybe carry one in a side bag, so I can loan it or sell it at profit, to a rider on the road.

But maybe this thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

• 1 year later...

I have been the Dutch importer for the GoCruise throttle-lock for 2 years now, and it's doing great here.

I've sold quite a lot without much problems other than people mistreating them.

• 1 year later...

Just used the aluminum model for my 2,000 mile trip. It was tolerable in operation and justified the cost. I did find that it was a total pita to adjust, but served its $30 purpose. I just didnt have time to install a vista on pickup. Luckily this also fits the drz, so i will be installing a thumb lock vista on the bird, keeping the goCruise for the SM. I found that setting it at a speed faster than you want, and reducing it slowly, worked better than assuming it could be set in one motion. For those that want simplicity of install and no modification to the bike, the go-cruize 2 did fairly well. Not great, but okay... Extra silicone bands for cheap, may as well...

Edited by Hooplehead

I've just relied on the "throttle rocker" types of devices. I've never got around to putting an actual CC on the bike, and every "throttle lock" I've tried to date never worked. I even have one still on the bike, rated the best, and it doesn't work chiefly because something about heated grips negates it's ability to grip hard enough to hold the throttle setting.

Heated grips have no bearing on either a vista cruise or a throttlemeister.

I still have the clip on the speed triple but its days are limited. I have had throttlemeisters before too and they work but IMO the vistacruise is the best easiest to use thing this side of real cruise control. I have been using the clip on the speed triple because I couldn't figure out how to install a vista cruise on it since triumph has oddball throttle tubes. When I got the tiger since its purpose is eating miles I dug into the tiger board and found a way. It was actually pretty simple though a bit of work. At around $25 its worthwhile. The grip clip things work...but just. I love the vista cruise installed upside down ala evlxx's method. Puts the controls underneath where your fingers are when you need to operate it.

I know I'm not an idiot at installing things, but every Vista I've every tried to install never worked. I could never get it adjusted to do the job. When it would hold the throttle, it created binding when OFF. When it didn't inhibit the throttle when OFF, it wouldn't do squat when engaged. Never figured out why I always fought those things to make them work. I know they're adjustable, but I could never nail down that "sweet spot" where they work as claimed.

I know I'm not an idiot at installing things, but every Vista I've every tried to install never worked. I could never get it adjusted to do the job. When it would hold the throttle, it created binding when OFF. When it didn't inhibit the throttle when OFF, it wouldn't do squat when engaged. Never figured out why I always fought those things to make them work. I know they're adjustable, but I could never nail down that "sweet spot" where they work as claimed.

They are about as simple as anything ever invented. They do have to be adjusted occasionally as they will start slipping slowly. Both of mine as well as others I have used have been perfect.

For some reason I am reminded of Floridasilverbird or whatever his handle was before it was changed to "Patch".

It took me ruining one, and fiddling with the second. No, they arent the easiest to install and get working. BUT, when you do... Its the best device for a throttle lock Ive used so far. Got one coming today for my 'new' bird actually. Im hoping to get it right the first time, this go round. If more than half of us are idiots, maybe its time to redefine the meaning. Just be sure to have it tightly engaged if you're gna screw it to the started housing like i do... :)post-3948-0-40680700-1433355094_thumb.jppost-3948-0-88281300-1433355174_thumb.jp

Edited by Hooplehead

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a $2.00 rubber O-ring from local hardware store, plumbing section.. rider control the throttle on or off, 100%, that's real throttle control.. none of that auto return/close throttle.

Edited by "A"