CBR1100XX.org Forum

How long should a chain and sprockets last

TFT

I have 26,000 miles on my Arizona 97XX. Though the chain is not in the "red" yet, there is a stretched section of the chain so when I adjust it that section is very lose. It "stretched" during my 1,900 mile trip from Illinois to Arizona. ( I guess I should have lubed it more often than I did during the trip)

Should I replace both the chain and sprockets?

It is a toast or close to it . Chain`s life basically goes like that , new one will initially stretch , after that it will very rarely require any adjustments and toward the end of useful life will start to stretch again .

If rear OEM sprocket looks good you can easily reuse it but replace front one .

It is a toast or close to it . Chain`s life basically goes like that , new one will initially stretch , after that it will very rarely require any adjustments and toward the end of useful life will start to stretch again .

+1

If you use something like a Pro-Oiler, you can get 2-3 times the life out of a chain, but then when it starts needing adjustment, it's about to go 100% overnight because ALL the links are about to wear out as compared to a few at a time without constant lubrication.

Check with Hobie on chain and prockets. will only need front as the rear is made out of something stronger than superman.

I prefer DID myself ZVM2 (think thats it) is the replacement for the XX stock chain in 110 links..

my stocker last 28k I think.. or around that.. still well in the green but had a few links starting to bind up..

Don't get a Regina chain, if you see my recent thread in the Pub. It uses a different rivet.

At 21k, I just did chain and both sprockets. Comparing front and rear old versus new ones, they hardly looked worn at all. They must easily have had another 10-15k on the sprockets. My chain has needed replaced since last summer, about 5k miles or so. I think next time I may do just a chain at 15k, and let sprockets go for 30k.

Get the tool to do the rivet. It will pay for itself on the 3rd chain you do, unless you have a buddy with the tool. Dealer charged $27 to just rivet. The Motion Pro Jumbo chain tool will break, press, and rivet. It's around $100 on Amazon. Has optional head to do Regina for another $20 or so, just dont buy Regina chain and you won't need!

Any suggestions as to where to buy the sprocket and chain? What manufacturer?

For the front, go with Sunstar of Vortex, or if you want to run a 16 tooth VFR OEM sprocket, I can sell you mine NIB. This is the one with the damper material. For the rear, SuperSprox. That is the one with aluminum carrier and steel teeth.

As stated, you're at about the end of the useful life of your chain/sprockets, regardless of anything else. I replaced my stock chain and front sprocket at ~24k, because I was about to do a trip and didn't want to worry about it. My other DID ZVM2 stuff (2x) have lasted over 30k when I just decided I should probably change them.

New front sprocket with every chain, and a new rear every 2 chains has worked for me. Rear showed almost no wear after 1 chain, but at ~50k, at the end of the 2nd chain, it was showing some, so I changed it. If somebody doesn't lube their chain and gets 8k out of it, they may get longer out of a rear sprocket.

Mike

• 1 month later...
post-64180-1341109615.jpgI got 45K miles out of the original chain and sprockets. I do mostly freeway riding with about 30 miles of twistys each day out of a 186 Mile commute. The stock front sprocket is amazing. It had less ware in 45K miles than the stock front sprocket off of my Yammy FZ-1 with only 25K miles.

Check with Hobie on chain and prockets. will only need front as the rear is made out of something stronger than superman.

I prefer DID myself ZVM2 (think thats it) is the replacement for the XX stock chain in 110 links..

my stocker last 28k I think.. or around that.. still well in the green but had a few links starting to bind up..

DID zmv2 25k or when you hear it making crunches beside a wall. Usually i notice accelerated stretch towards the end, but link binds are usually first. I dont know how long a chain can go, I always err'd on the side of new farkles asap! :icon_biggrin:

post-64180-1341109615.jpgI got 45K miles out of the original chain and sprockets. I do mostly freeway riding with about 30 miles of twistys each day out of a 186 Mile commute. The stock front sprocket is amazing. It had less ware in 45K miles than the stock front sprocket off of my Yammy FZ-1 with only 25K miles.

186 mile commute? Dude! Tell us about it......

• 2 weeks later...

DID zmv2 25k or when you hear it making crunches beside a wall. Usually i notice accelerated stretch towards the end, but link binds are usually first. I dont know how long a chain can go, I always err'd on the side of new farkles asap! :icon_biggrin:

The ZVM2 has been upgraded to the ZVMX I found out last week. Contacted DID rep and he confirmed that the "X" chain is different, better and the one I needed for a Blackbird.

• Upvote 1

I have the DID ZVM2 and it is approaching 30k I would have to.check my records to make sure but it is not showing any signs of the end yet.

I do lube it every 250-300 miles with my own blend of 80-90 and Lucas oil treatment.

So far it seems to be working.

I also clean it with diesel fuel from time to time.

• 4 years later...
On 7/15/2012 at 3:32 PM, slowrideCX said:

I have the DID ZVM2 and it is approaching 30k I would have to.check my records to make sure but it is not showing any signs of the end yet.

I do lube it every 250-300 miles with my own blend of 80-90 and Lucas oil treatment.

So far it seems to be working.

I also clean it with diesel fuel from time to time.

I just ordered a ZVMX today. My mechanic is getting it delivered overnight (magic?0 and putting it on for me tomorrow while I'm at work. 

I've need it done since last year. I'm starting to get a little cought up on some of my bills and thought I'd have better piece of mind without the cracking noise that developed last year on out tour-de-micro ride. It started snapping after the Jennings GP chain stretching session....  (I know, I didn't ride that fast....)

:D

Somebody sticky this?

Has anyone done a 520 conversion on the Bird?  It's worth a little bit of performance and supposedly there are more sprocket options, with or without bling.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Has anyone done a 520 conversion on the Bird?  It's worth a little bit of performance and supposedly there are more sprocket options, with or without bling.

I'm guessing that it wouldn't last as long as the 530.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the gold colored DID ZVM-X chains on the Bird and Busa  but the factory chain on my ZX14 has already outlasted any of the DID chains that I have used in the past.

With over 110 ft/lbs of torque, the 14 should be harder on chains than either the Bird or the Busa.

When it dies, I am going to go with another OEM chain.  (DIDZ50M4)