CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator

XXMAN

I thought my battery was bad so I bought a new one it wouldn't stay charged. I bought a voltage meter tested the battery it was almost dead. Then I push started the bike tested while running no reading on the meter so does that mean I need a new stator and if so does anybody have any recommendations where to buy ? I have never changed one out how hard is it ? Thanks for any help you maybe able to provide.

Hobi.

Awww shucks....

Everything you ever wanted to know about testing and changing a stator can be found here:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53455

In short:

Always start with a fully charged and tested battery Basic charging test results are masked by having a weak battery. When in doubt, charge it over night and take it to Batteries Plus and have them test it.

To test the stator:

Disconnect the yellow stator wires going to the R/R. The connector is on the riders left side of the bike, under the tail cowl. Based on year, it will either be part of the connector going to the RR (97/98), or a separate connector (99+).

Start the bike

Set your meter to AC volts

Test across the yellow pins. There's 3 of them, so you've got 3 ways to test (a-b, b-c, a-c).

You should get ~10-15VAC at idle, and when you rev it up it should climb to 50+VAC

If you don't get those kinds of voltages, the stator is bad. If you do, the RR is bad

Note: The connector for the stator is notorious for getting loose and cooking itself. When you pull the connector, if it's brown and the wires are burnt, that can be the problem. Still test the stator, but you should consider cutting and soldering the wires with a nice Western union splice and covering it with heat shrink tubing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Hobi bear with me I am not good at this stuff. I bought a multi meter turned dial to twelve volts tested battery 12.81 volts started bike it read 12.24 throttled bike no change unplugged reg/rec like you said put red one on yellow wires all read 0.05 volts gave it gas no change that means stator yes ? No loose or burnt connections either I appreciate all the help.

Ok Hobi bear with me I am not good at this stuff. I bought a multi meter turned dial to twelve volts tested battery 12.81 volts started bike it read 12.24 throttled bike no change unplugged reg/rec like you said put red one on yellow wires all read 0.05 volts gave it gas no change that means stator yes ? No loose or burnt connections either I appreciate all the help.

When you were testing the yellow wires, did you set your volt meter to AC, not DC?

You should test across the yellow wires. Red one on one yellow, black lead on another yellow. Test across all possible combinations... A-B, B-C, A-C. If you don't get ~15v AC at idle, and it doesn't climb above 50v AC when you rev the engine, it's the stator. If they all test OK, then it's the regulator rectifier.

Sounds to me like the stator is toast. Easy fix.

Get the part through Hobi n change.

Check the connection from the start relay also the R/R feeds power back to the system through that connector.

It is known to start cooking and not charge.

Good luck.

Thank you for helping the mechanically challenged ! I set meter to acv then tested even reving the highest I could get was eight volts.

Thank you for helping the mechanically challenged ! I set meter to acv then tested even reving the highest I could get was eight volts.

Yep, stator's fucked.

Yep, stator's fucked.

Had a feeling replaced RR not that long ago but I did want to order a part and find out it was the other so thanks again.

Yep, stator's fucked.

Had a feeling replaced RR not that long ago but I did want to order a part and find out it was the other so thanks again.

I'll be calling for pricing tomorrow for some other things... want me to see about the price on a Rick's stator?

Yep, stator's fucked.

I'll be calling for pricing tomorrow for some other things... want me to see about the price on a Rick's stator?

I already got it covered thanks so much.

Yep, stator's fucked.

I replaced stator turned meter to acv now at idle I get 18 to 18.5 that sound right I am going on a long ride and don't want to get stranded.

Yep, stator's fucked.

I replaced stator turned meter to acv now at idle I get 18 to 18.5 that sound right I am going on a long ride and don't want to get stranded.

Yes, that sounds good. If you rev the engine, you should see it climb quickly to 80+ VAC.

And, of course... do a running battery test: With everything connected, put your meter on DC and test across the battery terminals. When you rev up the motor (4000+rpm) it should climb to between 14 and 15v, assuming your battery is charged when you start.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, stator's fucked.

Yes, that sounds good. If you rev the engine, you should see it climb quickly to 80+ VAC.

And, of course... do a running battery test: With everything connected, put your meter on DC and test across the battery terminals. When you rev up the motor (4000+rpm) it should climb to between 14 and 15v, assuming your battery is charged when you start.

She is fix !!!!! Thanks so much.